ESPN: Diagnosing the 'down' seasons of 10 teams | The Boneyard

ESPN: Diagnosing the 'down' seasons of 10 teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ESPN has an Insider's article where they go through 10 teams who were in the top 50 in Kenpom ratings last year who have dropped 50 or more spots this year. Unfortunately our Huskies are one of those 10.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-col...ball?ex_cid=InsiderTwitter_GasawayDownSeasons

Connecticut Huskies

Final 2013-14 KenPom rank: 8
Today: 60

It's true that a great deal had to go right for No. 7-seed Connecticut to win the 2014 national title, beginning with the overtime win over Saint Joseph's in the round of 64. But even more has had to go wrong for the Huskies to be where they are now. Coach Kevin Ollie's men will likely need to win the American tournament in order to get an NCAA tournament bid. (Of course, the fact that the conference tournament will be held in Hartford may help UConn do just that. That's a topic for another day.) So how did Connecticut land in this predicament?

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Ryan Boatright has performed admirably in the role of this season's Shabazz Napier. One problem for the Huskies, however, has been that no one has stepped into the role of last season's Boatright. Or for that matter, last season's DeAndre Daniels. Napier earned his fair share of coverage in 2013-14, but that was not a one-man team by any stretch of the imagination. This season? Let's just say Boatright could use some help.

UConn recorded a very good turnover margin last season, but in 2014-15 that category has really flipped against the Huskies with a vengeance. In American play, Ollie's guys have recorded the worst margin in turnover percentages for and against of any team not named UCF. Connecticut also is not manufacturing free throw attempts the way it did last season.

Which season was the aberration? You're not going to win a national title every year, so obviously 2013-14 was an outlier, strictly speaking. However, history also suggests that UConn's going to have a tournament bid locked down more often than not in late February. I say this season is the exception to the rule in Storrs.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Amazing how nearly everyone outside the UConn family forgets about Giffs and the HUGE contribution he gave to last year's team. It's funny - if you don't get drafted/go to the league - you're a forgotten commodity.
I knew the tunover margin was bad but not that bad - WOW
This has not been a beneficial year on the men's side for anyone.

Reaction Score
Or Last Seasons Giffey... Hell Or Last Seasons Kromah at this point.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Amazing how nearly everyone outside the UConn family forgets about Giffs and the HUGE contribution he gave to last year's team. It's funny - if you don't get drafted/go to the league - you're a forgotten commodity.
It's insane. Giffey played at an All-American level for the last two months of the season and he's not even mentioned.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
It's insane. Giffey played at an All-American level for the last two months of the season and he's not even mentioned.
Absolutely. As a positive though, it just shows how sneaky stacked the team was. We went from having 3 solid second options to a team that's searching for just one.

Reaction Score
You're not going to find a bigger Giffey fan than me, but All-American level is an overstatement. He was, however, an elite role player who fit in perfectly with our team. He was one of the best shooters in the country, sure, but where he's often overlooked is his incredible defensive versatility. He effectively guarded both Sean Kilpatrick and Julius Randle. Not many players have the size and versatility to pull that off. He also became a rebounding machine in the tournament.

Giffey is the kind of player who is bound to be forgotten by the national media, but I really hope us Husky fans appreciate and remember his contributions. He played an important role in two national championships. Niels will always be one of my all time favorite players.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I've mentioned this before: one of the two bright spots vs. SMU was how DHam took the ball to the rim and drew fouls. He needs to keep doing that, especially since he's shooting 80% from the line over the past month.

The other bright spot was Kentan's offensive rebounding - which also leads to trips to the stripe.

I'm looking forward to tonight's game.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You're not going to find a bigger Giffey fan than me, but All-American level is an overstatement. He was, however, an elite role player who fit in perfectly with our team. He was one of the best shooters in the country, sure, but where he's often overlooked is his incredible defensive versatility. He effectively guarded both Sean Kilpatrick and Julius Randle. Not many players have the size and versatility to pull that off. He also became a rebounding machine in the tournament.

Giffey is the kind of player who is bound to be forgotten by the national media, but I really hope us Husky fans appreciate and remember his contributions. He played an important role in two national championships. Niels will always be one of my all time favorite players.

I don't think it's an overstatement for the last two months. For the season, yes.

Reaction Score
Maybe a crazy question, but would Tolksdorf had helped this team? In limited time he seemed to have a nice shot. We desperately need someone who can come in and hit hit a couple of 3s. Granted he couldn't replace Guffey but he could have and least made made a contribution.

Reaction Score
I love Giffey, and this team would be much better right now with him and I think would be working on seeding instead of the other side of the bubble, but saying he played at an All American level is one of the more absurd things I've ever read on here and that's saying alot. Then again I haven't been here in awhile so I probably missed alot more absurd than that.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
but saying he played at an All American level is one of the more absurd things I've ever read on here and that's saying alot.
Again, I said the last two months of the season. But I'll be sure and tell the NBA guy who said exactly that to me that some posters on the Boneyard think that's the most absurd thing they've ever read.

Then again, most people here seem to forget everything about last season except the Shabazz highlights. I credit ESPN with at least not being that myopic.

Reaction Score
Again, I said the last two months of the season. But I'll be sure and tell the NBA guy who said exactly that to me that some posters on the Boneyard think that's the most absurd thing they've ever read.

Then again, most people here seem to forget everything about last season except the Shabazz highlights.

Changing it to the last 2 months of the season doesn't make the statement any more true and I don't really care about anonymous "NBA guys". Also, pulling the "last year's team was just Shabazz" card doesn't really apply to me considering I think adding just role players/utility guys like either Giffey or Kromah to this year's team would have this team in the tourney. Giffey's contributions were invaluable on both the offensive and defensive end, but there's a pretty big distinction between an All American and Giffey.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
As a Senior in 2013-14: Appeared in 40 games, starting 16, averaging a career-best 8.4 points and 3.8 rebounds... Scored in double-figures in 17 games on the year... Averaged 10.5 points a game in the Final Four and 7.7 points in the NCAA Tournament... Had career highs in points (24) and three-pointers (6) in the American Athletic Conference Quarterfinals against Memphis (March 13)... Grabbed a career-high 11 rebounds in UConn's NCAA Tournament Third Round win against Villanova (March 22)... Led the Huskies in rebounding five times and in steals five times... Averaged 7.4 points and 3.2 rebounds in conference play... Led the team in three-point field goal percentage (48.3) and was second in overall field goal percentage (54.0).

Yep, them's "role player" stats there.

Reaction Score
As a Senior in 2013-14: Appeared in 40 games, starting 16, averaging a career-best 8.4 points and 3.8 rebounds... Scored in double-figures in 17 games on the year... Averaged 10.5 points a game in the Final Four and 7.7 points in the NCAA Tournament... Had career highs in points (24) and three-pointers (6) in the American Athletic Conference Quarterfinals against Memphis (March 13)... Grabbed a career-high 11 rebounds in UConn's NCAA Tournament Third Round win against Villanova (March 22)... Led the Huskies in rebounding five times and in steals five times... Averaged 7.4 points and 3.2 rebounds in conference play... Led the team in three-point field goal percentage (48.3) and was second in overall field goal percentage (54.0).

They are, glad you agree and we can move on.

Reaction Score

They are. What are you talking about? You have a pretty low standard for All-American. Invaluable contributor, tough kid, did a little bit of everything. Consummate role player / glue guy, but not an All-American.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yes, role players frequently do things like lead the team (and at times the country) in three-point field goal percentage, score 24 points or grab eleven rebounds in tournament play.

All-American may be a stretch for that last two months, but to my eye and memory he played a hell of a lot closer to that level in more meaningful games down the stretch than he did the "role player" level that he is being relegated to here. And his defense was perhaps even more impressive.

Then again, maybe you guys are right. Maybe it was just Shabazz and a bunch of role players. Shame that Boat couldn't carry this team like that. No real difference in supporting cast whatsoever...

Reaction Score
Yes, role players frequently do things like lead the team (and at times the country) in three-point field goal percentage, score 24 points or grab eleven rebounds in tournament play.

All-American may be a stretch for that last two months, but to my eye and memory he played a hell of a lot closer to that level in more meaningful games down the stretch than he did the "role player" level that he is being relegated to here. And his defense was perhaps even more impressive.

Then again, maybe you guys are right. Maybe it was just Shabazz and a bunch of role players. Shame that Boat couldn't carry this team like that. No real difference in supporting cast whatsoever...

Your issue seems to be with the words "role player", you're getting defensive and sensitive over the term as if its used to denigrate Giffey's abilities, I don't see it that way. Don't really know how many times it needs to be expressed that what he provided was invaluable his last 2 years and are sorely needed on this year's team for you to understand that its not meant as a knock to him, but seeing as you decided take the leap into the Strawman Olympics with your last bit of comments about the supporting cast, I see that we'll end up going nowhere with this discussion.

Reaction Score

Seemed like he got every rebound in the KU game.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Your issue seems to be with the words "role player", you're getting defensive and sensitive over the term as if its used to denigrate Giffey's abilities, I don't see it that way. Don't really know how many times it needs to be expressed that what he provided was invaluable his last 2 years and are sorely needed on this year's team for you to understand that its not meant as a knock to him, but seeing as you decided take the leap into the Strawman Olympics with your last bit of comments about the supporting cast, I see that we'll end up going nowhere with this discussion.

I think adding just role players/utility guys like either Giffey or Kromah to this year's team would have this team in the tourney.

You equated Giffey's contributions to Kromah's. Yes, I think that is a disservice to Giffey. Not sure how that's a strawman argument when it is exactly what you said. I never said that Giffey was an All-American. I said he played at that level at times down the stretch last season. That might have been a bit of an exaggeration and I've admitted that, but to say he was a utility player at the level of Kromah is a greater misstatement imo.

Reaction Score
You equated Giffey's contributions to Kromah's. Yes, I think that is a disservice to Giffey. Not sure how that's a strawman argument when it is exactly what you said. I never said that Giffey was an All-American. I said he played at that level at times down the stretch last season. That might have been a bit of an exaggeration and I've admitted that, but to say he was a utility player at the level of Kromah is a greater misstatement imo.

I never equated Giffey's contributions to Kromah's, Giffey was a better player. We've now gone from getting offended over a player being called a role player, to now getting offended over something I didn't actually say. Good grief...

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
Maybe a crazy question, but would Tolksdorf had helped this team? In limited time he seemed to have a nice shot. We desperately need someone who can come in and hit hit a couple of 3s. Granted he couldn't replace Guffey but he could have and least made made a contribution.

Leon is sitting this season out, but in limited time, here are his numbers for us the last two years:

SEASON TEAM MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
2013-14 CONN 47 6-21 .286 3-13 .231 1-2 .500 10 4 0 1 5 3 16
2012-13 CONN 81 6-18 .333 5-14 .357 2-4 .500 8 5 0 2 11 0 19

Lets just say that Sammy JR, who has been a disappointment to most, has played 5x the minutes Leon did last year and is shooting 3's at a slightly better clip (26.5%).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom