ESPN Crew | The Boneyard

ESPN Crew

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Who are they? Left to right. Far right is Monica somebody...

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
She probably deserves her own thread, but I thought Renee was a breath of fresh air. I so enjoyed listening to her, she even made Beth Mowins sound good. Did anyone else catch that casual remark by Renee, "we can start watching the game any time now, Beth." I spit out my coffee on that one.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Better for most of the game

But there was a point in the 4th quarter where there were two strange fouls...
On whom? For what?
They were too busy gabbing to notice...
I screamed at the TV...there's a game going on...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Andraya Cater on the left, played for Tennessee
Gave her all...but at some point in her senior year (?)
Her body was too broken to continue and she retired.
Been a sportscaster, mostly SEC woman for a few years.
Likable, competent and intelligent.

Reaction Score
McNutt played at Georgetown. I couldn’t listen to the game “commentary.” They never said who committed a foul or which players were substituting. It was a coffee klatch for the girls.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
McNutt played at Georgetown. I couldn’t listen to the game “commentary.” They never said who committed a foul or which players were substituting. It was a coffee klatch for the girls.
McNutt also can be heard doing a commercial. I think it is an insurance commercial.

Reaction Score
It actually takes a degree of talent to call the game and focus to fill in the spaces with interesting tidbit. They have to be short which these women don't know the meaning of. You can relay information quickly if you leave out extranious stuff. But that also takes talent.

The womens game has beed run like a Mom and Pop organization for some time. If the want more respect they can start by getting actual announcers to call the games instead of ex players and washed up coaches. It used to be like that with hiring ex players as coaches even if they really did not have the skills to run a program. They finally are getting good coaches so now they have to find other areas to playsexist nepotism.

One could also tell how competent the hires by ESPN are by the product they presented as tournament breakdowns. All the did was interviews and human interest stories. Of course to d a real breakdown you have to do some research. I suspect that the field in this area does not have very many women applicants and they do have to walk the tightrope in women hiring percentages. I guess ESPN feels they can do hires for women announcers and analysts because after all the womens game is not that important. so they can just go through the motions.

All this talk of short changing the women in the weight room, but nothing about how the game gets short changed by horrible anouncers and analysts. But of course, since that shot dhanging creates jobs for incompetent women no one says anything.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
"Killed?" Nah, more likely you'll just be ignored, @AgStatesman :(. Sure, every broadcast "journalist" in the business calls teams "they" instead of "it," something a print journalist would never do, and that has long been a source of frustration for those of us with ink on our fingers, especially since those barking into a microphone often are paid 10, 20 or even 100 times the salary of a print reporter to mangle the English language.

Memo to Beth Mowins: Sports that award titles annually do not have a defending champion. Baylor is not the NCAA Women's Basketball defending champion. Baylor is the 2019 champion. No one can take that championship from the Bears so there is nothing to defend. Until another champion is crowned, Baylor is the reigning champion.

Reaction Score
It bothers me whenever the announcing crew gets talking about something other than the game and neglects to provide information that the viewer can't immediately see (most often fouls). I can sort of understand them doing that when the game is a blowout, but they do it all too often in close games.

How many times in the Kentucky game did one of them refer to "Ryan" Howard. It's "Rhyne" one syllable.

Reaction Score
"Killed?" Nah, more likely you'll just be ignored, @AgStatesman :(. Sure, every broadcast "journalist" in the business calls teams "they" instead of "it," something a print journalist would never do, and that has long been a source of frustration for those of us with ink on our fingers, especially since those barking into a microphone often are paid 10, 20 or even 100 times the salary of a print reporter to mangle the English language.

Memo to Beth Mowins: Sports that award titles annually do not have a defending champion. Baylor is not the NCAA Women's Basketball defending champion. Baylor is the 2019 champion. No one can take that championship from the Bears so there is nothing to defend. Until another champion is crowned, Baylor is the reigning champion.
Seriously. In pro sports they always talk about the defending champion. I know what Geno said.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She probably deserves her own thread, but I thought Renee was a breath of fresh air. I so enjoyed listening to her, she even made Beth Mowins sound good. Did anyone else catch that casual remark by Renee, "we can start watching the game any time now, Beth." I spit out my coffee on that one.
I think that remark was made when Beth said it was too early for a Paige Bueckers triple double watch

Renee said it is not to early for me. I am going to watch right now.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Thx

Reaction Score
It actually takes a degree of talent to call the game and focus to fill in the spaces with interesting tidbit. They have to be short which these women don't know the meaning of. You can relay information quickly if you leave out extranious stuff. But that also takes talent.

The womens game has beed run like a Mom and Pop organization for some time. If the want more respect they can start by getting actual announcers to call the games instead of ex players and washed up coaches. It used to be like that with hiring ex players as coaches even if they really did not have the skills to run a program. They finally are getting good coaches so now they have to find other areas to playsexist nepotism.

One could also tell how competent the hires by ESPN are by the product they presented as tournament breakdowns. All the did was interviews and human interest stories. Of course to d a real breakdown you have to do some research. I suspect that the field in this area does not have very many women applicants and they do have to walk the tightrope in women hiring percentages. I guess ESPN feels they can do hires for women announcers and analysts because after all the womens game is not that important. so they can just go through the motions.

All this talk of short changing the women in the weight room, but nothing about how the game gets short changed by horrible anouncers and analysts. But of course, since that shot dhanging creates jobs for incompetent women no one says anything.
I have been saying for the last 2 months that the way in which the women games are announced is sexist compared to the mens games. It's as if they feel they have to "add" something to the game by their gibberish, irrelevant details and nonsensical bantering. It appears that they are concluding "this basketball is not very good, we have to make it more interesting for the viewer". I find it to be both insulting and infuriating. Call the game please like the mens announcers are doing in this tournament. Who is the foul on and how many is that on that player? What was the call? Stop telling us how great someone is. We can see for ourselves. We should have a "sound off" for our next game including commercials and let both the network and the sponsors know.

Reaction Score
Again I muted my TV. I can't stand babbling and especially with high-pitched voices.

Reaction Score
Never been a fan of Beth Mowins. She gets confused.....a lot. She thought AE was a starter when she commented that with Nika out and AE with four fouls, UConn has two starters on the bench. Even my wife yelled at the TV that AE didn't start.

SHe also goes down the road of nonsense. It was hysterical when RM called her out. Good for her.

Reaction Score
As much as Renee is the picture of charisma and infectious enthusiasm--in short, everything you would want in a commentator--I found myself cringing at different times. 'Nuff said.

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Yes, Andraya is an SEC studio person along with Andy Landers. I actually like her as an analyst if I'm watching SEC games. She does sound knowledgeable and articulate. Unfortunately I really was not happy to see her because of her affiliation with the SEC. BUT I would have taken anyone as long as the other person wasn't McNutt. She is so immature with her presentation, and her knowledge of players seems sort of second hand.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score

I generally prefer to not see the world through zero-sum outcomes. I'm okay with Baylor being both the defending champion and the reigning champion.

But primarily (and in hopes of not causing bad mojo here) I'd like to see them as the raining champion, as in their rain of tears when they lose to UConn in a squeaker.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom