ESPN Clueless Year in and year out OR "How to Broadcast Sports" | The Boneyard

ESPN Clueless Year in and year out OR "How to Broadcast Sports"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
EVERY year we complain and every year they just don't listen (Or more accurately care). Does ESPN really think we want to watch KY blow somebody out because they are in our region? Can we see a competitive game please?

You know what they'll say - "Go to ESPN 3 and pick a game". How about they just get a clue on how to broadcast sports?

As I say this they're switching. I don't care I'm posting it anyway

Reaction Score
I hear you, but I'm not sure what I think. If they left a UCONN game because it was lopsided, I would be ripping. Maybe it depends on the quality of play?? I love to watch UCONN even when they are blowing people out because they don't seem to ever get slow or sloppy. Actually, I would rather watch a lopsided UCONN game than a close game not played at their level.

Reaction Score
EVERY year we complain and every year they just don't listen (Or more accurately care). Does ESPN really think we want to watch KY blow somebody out because they are in our region? Can we see a competitive game please?

You know what they'll say - "Go to ESPN 3 and pick a game". How about they just get a clue on how to broadcast sports?

As I say this they're switching. I don't care I'm posting it anyway
A) Whether KY is in UConn's bracket doesn't have anything to do with it. If you're in the games coverage area, you get that game, otherwise you're in the same wrap-around with everyone else.
B) Believe it or not, not everyone wants to see the same game. The wrap-around coverage frequently shows the team with the highest profile at the start, something that I rarely hear out-of-area UConn fans complain about when they're showing our blow-out rather than an 8-9 game. In this case, it's really not outside the realm of possibility that there might be some bleed-over KY basketball fans.
C) The WCBB NCAAs are one of ESPN's biggest events. Do you really think they don't do market research on this sort of thing?
D) Just go to ESPN 3 and pick a damn game

Reaction Score
Yes ESPN is clueless re. how to broadcast sports, which is why they've been such a colossal economic failure in the media biz. (ESPN, with annual revenues of $10+ billion, was valued by Forbes last year at $51 billion, which is 37% of Disney's total market value of $137 billion. By comparison, Disney's ABC Network is valued at $3.2 billion, or 2.3% of Disney. Forbes speculates that this phenomenal success is apparently because ESPN is "clueless")

Last edited:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Yes ESPN is clueless re. how to broadcast sports, which is why they've been such a colossal economic failure in the media biz. (ESPN, with annual revenues of $10+ billion, was valued by Forbes last year at $51 billion, which is 37% of Disney's total market value of $137 billion. By comparison, Disney's ABC Network is valued at $3.2 billion, or 2.3% of Disney. Forbes speculates that this phenomenal success is apparently because ESPN is "clueless")

I didn't say they were clueless at making money. I said they were clueless as to how to broadcast the "Women's Tournament". They've built such an enormous empire they don't have to cater to minority groups (As in WCBB fans) to keep making tons of money. If they broadcast the Men's Tournament I don't think people would be so happy about it. By the way, do you really enjoy the way ESPN has evolved over the years? I know I've been less and less thrilled with their methods of broadcasting games with their "Top talent". I used to love Doris Burke but ESPN has encouraged the practice of talking about anything and everything but the game going on and constantly covers the screen with promos and interviews people while the game is going on. And any enterprise that continues to employ a guy like Mike Patrick who should have retired 10 years ago doesn't care about the product it puts on the screen. If want to defend them as the "Wordwide Leader In Sports" knock yourself out. But as far as I'm concerned they lost their way some time ago.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
ndmb said:
A) Whether KY is in UConn's bracket doesn't have anything to do with it. If you're in the games coverage area, you get that game, otherwise you're in the same wrap-around with everyone else.
B) Believe it or not, not everyone wants to see the same game. The wrap-around coverage frequently shows the team with the highest profile at the start, something that I rarely hear out-of-area UConn fans complain about when they're showing our blow-out rather than an 8-9 game. In this case, it's really not outside the realm of possibility that there might be some bleed-over KY basketball fans.
C) The WCBB NCAAs are one of ESPN's biggest events. Do you really think they don't do market research on this sort of thing?
D) Just go to ESPN 3 and pick a damn game

I'm sorry but I must not be in your Tax bracket. It isn't financially possible for me to keep up with the latest Hardware, have a mobile device current enough or have a good enough internet connection to get streaming media successfully. The next time you run you big mouth please take a minute to consider that everyone may not be in the same boat. I'm sorry I offended your "sensibility" by complaining about ESPN. Guess I'll have to resort to ignore. Haven't done that in a while.

Reaction Score
There's always room for improvement, to taylor what they do to exactly what "I" would like. But, compared to everywhere else - possibly everywhere else put together - ESPN's coverage of WBB is outstanding. They really have a LOT of content, and have done a lot for WBB - many times putting the cart before the horse on profitability. Would any network concerned only with making money broadcast EVERY game in the women's NCAA tournament? Fox? CBS? I don't think there was a big bidding war.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but I must not be in your Tax bracket. It isn't financially possible for me to keep up with the latest Hardware, have a mobile device current enough or have a good enough internet connection to get streaming media successfully. The next time you run you big mouth please take a minute to consider that everyone may not be in the same boat. I'm sorry I offended your "sensibility" by complaining about ESPN. Guess I'll have to resort to ignore. Haven't done that in a while.
Unless your taxable income is less than $9,225, you're not in a lower tax bracket than I am. FWIW, unless you're in the boonies, a decent internet connection runs you about the same amount as basic cable, but I guess it's easier to just pretend that your unwarranted judgement of ESPN is just a product of your income than to acknowledge that, as long as the tournament runs four games simultaneously, ESPN is caught between a rock and a hard place.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
There's always room for improvement, to taylor what they do to exactly what "I" would like. But, compared to everywhere else - possibly everywhere else put together - ESPN's coverage of WBB is outstanding. They really have a LOT of content, and have done a lot for WBB - many times putting the cart before the horse on profitability. Would any network concerned only with making money broadcast EVERY game in the women's NCAA tournament? Fox? CBS? I don't think there was a big bidding war.

Finally, a post that makes sense , in this thread. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom