ESPN Claims To Be Supporter of Women's Sports. But Why Isn't It Backing UConn Now in Realignment? | The Boneyard

ESPN Claims To Be Supporter of Women's Sports. But Why Isn't It Backing UConn Now in Realignment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In 2013, ESPN President John Skipper said, "I think we see an environment in 2022 where women's sports will be dramatically more important than it is now....I think that's what we're building towards, a bigger, more robust future for women's sports, women's fans, and all sportsfans."

LINK
WNBA.com: WNBA, ESPN Partnership and New Branding Transcript

But why does UConn -- given its dominance in women's basketball and field hockey, and its strong men's sports programs -- not get a helpful hand now when trying to get into a P5 conference? If Hillary Clinton does get elected president, will the federal government push for increased TV coverage of women's sports? It could be an outgrowth of Title IX enforcement or maybe even a new initiative under some kind of equal time provision. ESPN it's time that you be honest about your commitment to women's sports and it's time that you stop working against UConn in realignment.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Please stop. If UConn should fall off the top of the women's basketball world they will just promote the successor. It's worth nothing in conference realignment.

Reaction Score
I saw the title to this thread & immediately had the thought that we will know the answer to your question when ESPN commissions Mick Jagger to write a new verse of "Under My Thumb" detailing ESPN's noninvolvement on the subject.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure ESPN should care. I do think the school presidents should care.

Reaction Score
Please stop. If UConn should fall off the top of the women's basketball world they will just promote the successor. It's worth nothing in conference realignment.

It's not that easy.

Fan interest plus brand makes UConn a draw.

I am always shocked and surprised to see young girls and teens as big UConn fans outside the state.

It is a big thing, not easily transferable to another school. You need a fanbase, and you need a history.

Reaction Score
It's not that easy.

I am always shocked and surprised to see young girls and teens as big UConn fans outside the state.

It is a big thing, not easily transferable to another school. You need a fanbase, and you need a history.
and you need a dominant, goliath type team. parity wont cut it with women's hoops.

Reaction Score
If Disney and ESPN and Hearst are brought in front of a federal judge or Congressional committee to answer why they discriminate -- directly or indirectly -- they will be concerned.

Reaction Score
If Disney and ESPN and Hearst are brought in front of a federal judge or Congressional committee to answer why they discriminate -- directly or indirectly -- they will be concerned.
Make it happen. G5 unite!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The fix is in... those lying ESPN bastards.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
It's not that easy.

So it can't be replicated. It will be allowed to die.

Reaction Score
So it can't be replicated. It will be allowed to die.

It can't be replicated easily. A school would have to win 10 championships and have a rabid fanbase.

Reaction Score
Listen up guys
I already tried this tactic and I couldn't sell it to BY''res as they are too smart by a half but the general public is not necessarily that bright
Here is the logic:
If ESPN is descriminating against UConn because they are essentially getting UConn programming (I'm sure that generates not insignificant revenue for them for free.), than part of that discrimination is aimed at the most popular women''s team in the country. Good Luck on getting any sympathy for men'' basketball
The question that needs to be asked not only of ESPN but more importantly of their very liberal parent company is why are you participating in obvious sexual discrimination.
In no way does this narrative have to be true ,it's the creation of the perception that is necessary. Resist the temptation to be factual as facts are irrelevant .
You have to play with the cards your dealt and you have to play rough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom