ESPN & CFB is overrun with bias, hypocrisy, and corruption | The Boneyard

ESPN & CFB is overrun with bias, hypocrisy, and corruption

Reaction Score
I'm not saying UCF should be in. But again, I'll say the same thing I did about the CBB committee - the fact that they can't come up with a universal algorithm to determine this stuff is always going to leave people ripe for being exploited by the interests of the almighty dollar. Even if the formula is objectively horrible, like giving Ohio State the nod over Alabama because of the conference championship, that would still be a massive improvement over what we have now.

Things broke for them this year so that they're probably going to get the four best, most deserving teams. But the process is toxic. The fact that Penn State and USC hear their names mentioned on this one before UCF is evidence enough of that.

Again, I don't even think UCF was that good. Their defense leaked big time down the stretch (although Memphis is no joke). But all they did was beat good teams all year, a few of which were better than the teams P5 schools tripped up on (cough Syracuse).

Heather Danisch, who frighteningly is supposedly the ear piece of the committee, is on right now talking about how Alabama's argument over Ohio State is the "eye test." WHAT? How about the fact that they lost won less game?

There is no bigger fallacy in CFB or CBB than "who have you beaten?" It's a generality based on hunches and subjectivity that attempts to cling to arbitrary data points. "Who have you beaten?" is a goalpost moving argument that can be interpreted 100 different ways. "Well they beat three top 15 teams but only one top ten team while the other team beat two top ten teams and nobody else and this team beat no top 15 teams but 6 top 25 teams and..." gets you in circles. Strength of schedule. Record. Maybe point differential. THAT'S IT.

If i hear one more person talk about how fascinating Alabama/OSU is...it's not. It's really damn simple.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying UCF should be in. But again, I'll say the same thing I did about the CBB committee - the fact that they can't come up with a universal algorithm to determine this stuff is always going to leave people ripe for being exploited by the interests of the almighty dollar. Even if the formula is objectively horrible, like giving Ohio State the nod over Alabama because of the conference championship, that would still be a massive improvement over what we have now.

Things broke for them this year so that they're probably going to get the four best, most deserving teams. But the process is toxic. The fact that Penn State and USC hear their names mentioned on this one before UCF is evidence enough of that.

Again, I don't even think UCF was that good. Their defense leaked big time down the stretch (although Memphis is no joke). But all they did was beat good teams all year, a few of which were better than the teams P5 schools tripped up on (cough Syracuse).

Heather Danisch, who frighteningly is supposedly the ear piece of the committee, is on right now talking about how Alabama's argument over Ohio State is the "eye test." WHAT? How about the fact that they lost won less game?

There is no bigger fallacy in CFB or CBB than "who have you beaten?" It's a generality based on hunches and subjectivity that attempts to cling to arbitrary data points. "Who have you beaten?" is a goalpost moving argument that can be interpreted 100 different ways. "Well they beat three top 15 teams but only one top ten team while the other team beat two top ten teams and nobody else and this team beat no top 15 teams but 6 top 25 teams and..." gets you in circles. Strength of schedule. Record. Maybe point differential. THAT'S IT.

If i hear one more person talk about how fascinating Alabama/OSU is...it's not. It's really damn simple.
Much truth spoken. It will always be subjective and biased. SoS is another self fulfilling bias with P5 playing itself. No teams are ever allowed to climb out of their hole and a singular win against high ranked P5 team is viewed as not enough. The whole thing is a sham system. BCS fears moving to 8 teams because the power of exclusion wanes. You cant go to 8 without guaranteeing a spot to the AAC and 2 at large bids. Go forbid the emperor's new clothes are exposed.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
ESPN's goal all along has been to create a "junior NFL" with the P5. I'm not sure they're done yet. They may want to cut a few more schools to get this product down to 30-40 schools.

I don't understand the reasoning for this. I know a small group of schools would be easier to cover. Maybe they've done an extensive study on maximizing revenue and the most profitable model has 30 schools (or even the current number near 60).

For whatever reason, non-P5 schools will be treated like lepers and that situation isn't going to get better.

Reaction Score
I just posted this in the "Hunt for the CFP 2017" thread, but it fits here too. I words in italics are added because its relevant for this thread.

I just heard ESPN employee Kirk Herbstreit say the "best" four teams should be in the playoff, not the "most deserving." That is the fundamental argument. By his logic he says it should be Alabama, not OSU. As noted in my posts in the "Hunt for the CFP 2017" thread, I strongly disagree.

By that logic, the 68 "best" teams should make the basketball tournament, with it being OK to leave out conference champs. I would hate that.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It’ll always come down to what are the three name brands we need in the playoffs (Alabama, Michigan, OSU, etc) to draw interest and put butts in the seats and the one school who can create a little uproar so we can have something to fill the next three weeks discussing about if they belon vs whoever else. This is and never will be a fair, legit system.

Most times they end up with the best schools and get it right but don’t kid yourself and think it’s a fair system.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This shoudn't be a discussion. OSU has a better resume than Alabama. UCF has a better resume than Alabama. Miss St is not a top 25 team. The choice should be OSU or UCF with OSU getting the slight nod by beating better quality teams.

Alabama has 3 wins vs teams with 8+ wins and only one win vs. legit top 25 teams.

Reaction Score
The best conference champions should get in even if this means God forbid Alabama doesn't. This would make the decision making much easier. Win your conference to be considered otherwise it is all political.

Reaction Score
If Alabama is being considered why not Wisconsin....they only have 1 loss and didn't win there conference

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think they go with the four conference championship game winners; to do anything else requires too much mental gymnastics. So, Clemson vs Ohio St and Oklahoma vs Georgia. Could we end up with a repeat of the Oklahoma - Ohio State game, well yes - but oh well.

Reaction Score
Alabama, as good of a team as they are, does not belong in the playoffs plain and simple. Just like the BCS championship where they played against LSU (which was arguably the most boring championship game ever). Putting Alabama in basically is saying winning your conference means absolutely diddly squat. Making it a popularity contest and diminishing the value of the results on the field.

Reaction Score
The only way this is going to get fixed is going to a 12 team playoff. All conference champions and then the 2 highest ranked, non-conference champion teams as wild cards. Then everyone gets a shot at the table and the SEC and B1G can get their two teams into the playoffs because of reasons

Reaction Score
8 is the number with first round at home sites.
Still brings in too much bias. Why should the not so P5 conferences get an auto bid and the rest of D1 get relegated to the scraps. All conference champs is the only way to make any sort of play offs fair. Sure the big schools will win most times, but everyone always loves a Cinderella story.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The playoff is boring. Pencil in Alabama and Clemson every year.

Reaction Score
The only way this is going to get fixed is going to a 12 team playoff. All conference champions and then the 2 highest ranked, non-conference champion teams as wild cards. Then everyone gets a shot at the table and the SEC and B1G can get their two teams into the playoffs because of reasons
The way it is going to be fixed will be to widdel the P5 down to a P4 and go with the champion from each P4 conference.

Reaction Score
They were going to bring in Alabama if at all possible. Just needed an excuse and Georgia winning gave them that. If Wisconsin won someone else would be out. This is not a true championship. It is a made for tv Invitational and the sooner people get that the better it will be for everyone.

Reaction Score
College football: the only sport there is where you can never lose a game, yet not even have an opportunity to win a championship.
And then whatever the result of the G5 vs P5 new years game, the p5 will get the benefit of the doubt. Auburn wins and we are told "teams like ucf dont belong" ucf wins and we're told "aurburn didnt care anyway after losing the sec game"

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Watching the same schools over and over is not that interesting. Cinderella should be invited to the ball to liven up the same old same old.
LOL. As if a Butler/VCU like team (UCF) has a shot of staying within 20 of the 4 teams in now. Ummm.
Nope.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
If you told me 10 years ago there would be a thread on this forum standing up for UCF Football I would have called your bluff. Unless you schedule a top "Power 5" team in your non-conference and win, nobody in the American is sniffing the playoff.

Reaction Score
If you told me 10 years ago there would be a thread on this forum standing up for UCF Football I would have called your bluff. Unless you schedule a top "Power 5" team in your non-conference and win, nobody in the American is sniffing the playoff.

Good luck with that. SEC outside of LSU only schedules cupcakes, guaranteed wins that they can play at home. The only way anyone in the G5 can even sniff a game with someone at the top of the "P5" is if the NCAA eliminates the rule that one win against an FCS school counts towards bowl eligibility or you get lucky and play them at their home in September.

Reaction Score
The way it is going to be fixed will be to widdel the P5 down to a P4 and go with the champion from each P4 conference.

Unfortunately, you're most likely correct. But who gets the boot? Big 12 or the Pac 12?

Reaction Score
I think an 8 team playoff is fine. The highest ranked conference champions make it. A caveat being you must be ranked at a set cut off, whether that is top 25, 20, 15 etc. If a conference champ, be it p5 or g5 are not ranked at the cut off, they are out. The remaining spots are filled with the highest ranked teams til all spots are filled.

Reaction Score
Big 12 will fold as 9 out of 10 will get absorbed by SEC (Baylor & TCU) PAC 12 (Texas, TT, OU & OkSt), B1G (Kansas & KSU) and the ACC (WVU).

Reaction Score
I'm all in for a 12 team playoff. All conference champions and the 2 highest ranked teams. Gives every conference a path to the National Championship. Heck, with this format I would even start caring about the National Championship. I would probably even start watching games. Right now I couldn't care less about who wins the NC and will not watch a game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom