Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I think they've taken a big hit.

Big Monday is no more
All their traditional classic lineups are gone
the BEAST is gone
the B10 moved a lot of key games to their own network
the SEC has moved big games to their own network
they were televising the Sun Belt on Tuesday (maybe Monday)

the number of games I watch has never been fewer, the quality of games has not been worse since the early 80's

they've digressed

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Sigh.

Big Monday still exists. We're just not on it.

The Big East is dead because ESPN wanted to protect their house brand.

ESPN is fine - they're paying us less than they're paying Jay Bilas.

PS - ESPN owns the SEC Network, so....

Reaction Score
I think the bigger issue is that college basketball itself is garbage right now, that is what has my interest waning more than conference realignment and conferences playing on different nights and TV stations. Some really ugly offense out there, its not just UConn struggling to shoot/score.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
CBB ratings aren't very high. They historically aren't, except in March. When you see teams do things on offense like what Baylor put out there in the final minute tonight, it's just a bad product.

Reaction Score
The OP makes some good points, except for the SEC network which of course is an ESPN brand. CBB has lost a lot of big rivalries, but I guess EPSN cares more about building football.

Reaction Score
Not according to CL Brown of Espn...........in regards to the ACC, and I quote, "Only the strong survive....................- Maybe the ACC is as deep as originally advertised.

It may not have the kind of depth that's going to set a record for bids to the NCAA tournament, but it is looking more like a league whose eventual regular-season champion will have to take a few losses along the way. "

I kid you not. Journalism and analytics at its finest.

Reaction Score
The OP makes some good points, except for the SEC network which of course is an ESPN brand. CBB has lost a lot of big rivalries, but I guess EPSN cares more about building football.

The fact that ESPN makes $$ off SEC offsets some of what they lose from ESPN, but nevertheless, fewer viewers of ESPN can't be good for them.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This guy on the Cauldron has written a series of stories about the end game.

This one is a bit UConn centric telling the story of the Villanova game last year.

They should put this guy in charge of the rules committee. His ideas would improve the game immensely.

If only that fouling strategy didn't work twice in a row in Gampel this year.

Reaction Score
This guy on the Cauldron has written a series of stories about the end game.

This one is a bit UConn centric telling the story of the Villanova game last year.

They should put this guy in charge of the rules committee. His ideas would improve the game immensely.

https://medium.com/the-cauldron/a-new-beginning-for-basketballs-end-721fa4a17145

It would be simpler to lengthen the game (say 40 minute halves) and not stop the clock for foul shots (or some other common stoppages - made basket, out of bounds,etc.) There would be details to work out, like substitutions, delay of game technicals, etc, but they are solvable.

But it would change the game we love. The last five minutes of the game (think NBA) is when the game is decided, and the current rules stretches that period of hope/agony/ecstasy for the fan in the stands. It can be hard to watch sometimes, but when your team is behind by a few and needs a win ...

pj

Reaction Score
They could do the soccer solution -- have the game officials keep the clock privately so no one knows when the game will end, then the corrupt official calls the game when his team is leading.

It would be insane. But you wouldn't have as much fouling.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It would be simpler to lengthen the game (say 40 minute halves) and not stop the clock for foul shots (or some other common stoppages - made basket, out of bounds,etc.) There would be details to work out, like substitutions, delay of game technicals, etc, but they are solvable.

But it would change the game we love. The last five minutes of the game (think NBA) is when the game is decided, and the current rules stretches that period of hope/agony/ecstasy for the fan in the stands. It can be hard to watch sometimes, but when your team is behind by a few and needs a win ...

I'm sure I'm in a minority - but the end of games is killing the sport in my mind.

Checking the tenths of seconds on the clock.

Some mindnumbing parade of shooters to the line.

Endless supplies of timeouts.

Even a minor fix like the double bonus being one shot and the ball would be a huge improvement.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

They added a shot clock and a three point line. Nobody talks about getting rid of those so maybe change is good sometimes?

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Even a minor fix like the double bonus being one shot and the ball would be a huge improvement.[/QUOTE]

Good idea!

Reaction Score
I think they've taken a big hit.

Big Monday is no more
All their traditional classic lineups are gone
the BEAST is gone
the B10 moved a lot of key games to their own network
the SEC has moved big games to their own network
they were televising the Sun Belt on Tuesday (maybe Monday)

the number of games I watch has never been fewer, the quality of games has not been worse since the early 80's

they've digressed
Big Monday had UNC/ND and OU/Texas on 3 days ago, not sure how it is dead. Week after the CFB title game it has Pitt/Duke and OU/KU.

Not sure what you mean by SEC moved its big games to the SECN, UK plays has 3 games on the SECN. Florida also only has 3. Those are the conferences biggest programs.

As for the Big10 network, Wisky has 3 games on it, v. PSU, Rutgers, and NW. Big10 network has a lot of games, but does not get any of the biggest ones, those go to ESPN or CBS.

This post does not make much sense, other than the BE being gone, which it is, and will slowly die on FS1

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Two changes to correct end-of-game foul fests:

1) Get rid of the 1-and-1 entirely. It's a stupid rule that has no purpose in today's game;

2) Two shots and the ball back after 10 fouls.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

For sure, the Big East is doing well this year, although I might argue that having DePaul on top is a sign of the apocalypse.

But in the grander scheme, the conference and the games are invisible as they're tucked away on Fox somewhere.

Reaction Score
I'm sure I'm in a minority - but the end of games is killing the sport in my mind.

Checking the tenths of seconds on the clock.

Some mindnumbing parade of shooters to the line.

Endless supplies of timeouts.

Even a minor fix like the double bonus being one shot and the ball would be a huge improvement.

I've never understood why they give coaches so many timeouts, and the whole review system is a pain in the ass, but I'm not sure how awarding teams one shot and the ball in the double bonus fixes anything.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

I'm not sure of your point Friar. UConn has like 16 nationally broadcast games (ESPN, ESPN2 or CBS) whereas the Friar have what 3 maybe, if you count the Fox game. The bulk of the remaining UConn games are on SNY or ESPNU, though a few are on CBSSN, a little more developed network than FOX1 or 2, which is the primary venue for Big East games. There's an enormous difference in visibility but you know that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I've never understood why they give coaches so many timeouts, and the whole review system is a pain in the ass, but I'm not sure how awarding teams one shot and the ball in the double bonus fixes anything.

There becomes no point to fouling if you can't get the ball back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom