ESPN Boxing Today | The Boneyard

ESPN Boxing Today

Reaction Score
It’s great watching these fights again. Brings back memories of when boxing was at its best (70’s and 80’s)

Considering that’s it’s Howard Cosell I’m amazed at how little he has been talking and announcing during the rounds. Very little bs by him just inputs when there’s some action.
Not like nowadays when every sport has 2-3 announcers who have to constantly talk over each other.

Reaction Score
Joe fazier is not Mike Tyson not even close,very far from close,please.

Reaction Score
What is the reason for the decline is boxing over the last 20 years? This was a sport that was so popular and had some of the most iconic athletes of all time.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Amazon trilogy. Watched it a few years ago. Must see

Ali took an unbelievable amount of power punches from Frazier and Foreman in those four fights.
Those uppercuts and left crosses from Frazier knock out almost anyone else.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A few of the other fights.

Trinidad v De La Hoya. So glad Trinidad got the decision because De La Hoya quit fighting around the month round because he thought he had the right win. Trinidad fought all 12 rounds.

Tyson v Berbick/Holmes/Spinks. All three of those fighters were scared before the opening bell. Holmes was way past his prime but it is strange to see a fighter so scared to fight.

Hagler v Hearns. Hearns was actually thicker in arms and shoulders than I remembered but Hearns had zero defense. Hearns bloodied up Hagler pretty good and the fight doc stopped that fight to look at Hagler. I think that stoppage put a sense of urgency in Hagler to finish off Hearns before Doc stopped him.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What is the reason for the decline is boxing over the last 20 years? This was a sport that was so popular and had some of the most iconic athletes of all time.

IMO it was the fracturing of all the belts and promotions preventing best fights from happening when fighters were in their prime.

Reaction Score
A few of the other fights.

Trinidad v De La Hoya. So glad Trinidad got the decision because De La Hoya quit fighting around the month round because he thought he had the right win. Trinidad fought all 12 rounds.

Tyson v Berbick/Holmes/Spinks. All three of those fighters were scared before the opening bell. Holmes was way past his prime but it is strange to see a fighter so scared to fight.

Hagler v Hearns. Hearns was actually thicker in arms and shoulders than I remembered but Hearns had zero defense. Hearns bloodied up Hagler pretty good and the fight doc stopped that fight to look at Hagler. I think that stoppage put a sense of urgency in Hagler to finish off Hearns before Doc stopped him.
The Hagler Hearns round 1 is still the best. Hearns broke his hand early in that first round. Loved both those fighters, Hit Man is my favorite fighter ever.

Reaction Score
Had never had the chance to watch all the Ali/Frazier fights. Awesome fights with tons of action. Don't know how anyone can't be entertained by them.

Gatti/ ward trilogy is right up there with this trilogy

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Brain damage knowledge probably for amatuers. Also, the underworld grip on fight fixes. The term "punch drunk" was commonly used in that era for even amatuers who took one too many shots in the head. Add to that no nothings like would be show stealing Howard Cossell and it became a turn off to a lot of fans who knew the sport before broadcasters who knew very little came along. Boxing fans in the 60's and earlier knew who each weight division champion was (only one champ not two or three) and often the top contenders in each division. Dominated by Ring Magazine, newspapers and most fights were listened to on radio with video highlights later if ever. Jmho.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Would love to see replays of some top fights in other classes, like Livingstone Bramble, Alexis Arguello and Ray Mancini duking it out. Also Pernell Whitaker and Meldrick Taylor v Julio Cesar Chavez.

Reaction Score
I was a big Hearns fan growing up. He really came to win that night. To fight like that with a broken hand isn’t something normal people do. He should have just quit and he would have gotten a rematch. Those guys were great fighters and so entertaining to watch.

Reaction Score
Two of the toughest dudes ever and toughest looking dudes ever. Hagler looked like a pittbull and Hearns is terrifying with those dead eyes. That first round was better than the Rocky movies.
Watch "Marvin Hagler vs Tommy Hearns Round 1 | GREATEST ROUND OF BOXING | ON THIS DAY" on YouTube

Reaction Score
Ali took an unbelievable amount of power punches from Frazier and Foreman in those four fights.
Those uppercuts and left crosses from Frazier knock out almost anyone else.
I meant amazing trilogy. But yeah. Really good

Reaction Score
Had never had the chance to watch all the Ali/Frazier fights. Awesome fights with tons of action. Don't know how anyone can't be entertained by them.

Gatti/ ward trilogy is right up there with this trilogy
Gatti ward battles were must see. I think hbo did a doc on that too Top 3 Greatest

Reaction Score
Another pure power boxer from the 80’s that I loved to watch was John “The Beast “ Mugabi.
Mugabi was undefeated going into his middleweight title bout with Hagler and Hagler Ko’d him in the 11th to win the title.

Reaction Score
Surprised no one mentions tua vs ibeabuchi top 5 heavyweight battle,two juiced up superheavies going toe to toe for 12rnds,instant classic.smokin Joe couldn't last 30seconds with these dudes

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom