ESPN bought out the pro-rata for 10MM total?? | The Boneyard

ESPN bought out the pro-rata for 10MM total??

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
image.png

The Big 12 cashed in that clause for $100k each a year. Ha.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
When I was a young kid, I would trade my younger brother a nickel for a dime under the premise that "nickels are bigger than dimes, therefore worth more". I feel like the Big 12 is my younger, then 3 year old brother here. 10 (million) is more than 1 (billion)...we will take that deal!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Given all the noise about "future considerations" in their process - i would assume you won't hear about the "why" here until the contract runs out.
cas1.jpg

"That's a nice conference you got here, Mr. Bowlsby. It would be
a shame if something were to happen to it."
I kid, but only slightly

Reaction Score
Can't this mean that Fox could direct them to add teams they want,,pay the whole bill and have those teams be exclusive fox properties?

Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
ESPN is way too big for their britches. At some point, the complete control they exhibit over college sports will (hopefully) bite them in their ass.

Particularly for the unwise ideas of signing deals with certain conferences out to 2035. I think we are in an era of technological change. There still is rising sports numbers (see MLB in 2019); but, I think the CFB game was overplayed.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Goes to show you what P5 schools think of us. "Hmm, UConn as a full time member, or an extra $100,000k. Well we do need new water bottles for all the athletes... ok we will take the money."

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Just more of a reason to wish for the big 12 demise along with ESPN taking a financial bath with all of this. Yes I am bitter as I am tired of UConn being a pawn by ESPN and others.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Goes to show you what P5 schools think of us. "Hmm, UConn as a full time member, or an extra $100,000k. Well we do need new water bottles for all the athletes... ok we will take the money."
It speaks more to the disfunction of the B12. As we are starting to see, there were fans of particular schools, just not enought to meet the super majority.

Reaction Score
There is more to this story. Members were told not to state publicly that possible additions didn't bring value. Why? It isn't true for at least 3 schools and maybe 4. There is documentation to prove it and it will probably surface at some point (UConn, Cincy, BYU, maybe Houston). That could be used later to show that ESPN lied to keep expansion from happening and worked against schools that they have an obligation to treat fairly and who deserve access to a power conference based on the facts.

Reaction Score
There is more to this story. Members were told not to state publicly that possible additions didn't bring value. Why? It isn't true for at least 3 schools and maybe 4. There is documentation to prove it and it will probably surface at some point (UConn, Cincy, BYU, maybe Houston). That could be used later to show that ESPN lied to keep expansion from happening and worked against schools that they have an obligation to treat fairly and who deserve access to a power conference based on the facts.

From your keyboard to the court system & hope for trebled damages.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Once ESPN saw the Big 12 couldn't agree on expansion and were scared off by TVs threats, the Big 12 lost its leverage and ESPN pounced. Fox realized they didn't have the spend a dime and made the empty promise that down the road they will negotiate a great new contract. The little 8 ate it up and the Big 2 couldn't give a damn.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
There is more to this story. Members were told not to state publicly that possible additions didn't bring value. Why? It isn't true for at least 3 schools and maybe 4.

The "public" agreement is for $10MM. But do you really think that the B12 would give up their pro-rata for only $10MM? My guess is that there is an unspoken promise to the "little 8" that they will have a safe landing spot when the B12 implodes in 10 years. This was the last time that the "little 8" will ever have any leverage whatsoever over the networks, Texlahoma, and the rest of the P5. My guess (assuming they were smart), is they used the leverage they currently have to ensure their long term safety in the P5/Super Conferences.

Reaction Score
The "public" agreement is for $10MM. But do you really think that the B12 would give up their pro-rata for only $10MM? My guess is that there is an unspoken promise to the "little 8" that they will have a safe landing spot when the B12 implodes in 10 years. This was the last time that the "little 8" will ever have any leverage whatsoever over the networks, Texlahoma, and the rest of the P5. My guess (assuming they were smart), is they used the leverage they currently have to ensure their long term safety in the P5/Super Conferences.

"Unspoken promises", if they exist, are largely unenforceable, especially if a later writing between the parties (the "public agreement") contains the standard contract language that the writing constitutes the sole agreement between the parties and that all amendments to same must be mutually agreed to in writing.

Reaction Score
"Unspoken promises", if they exist, are largely unenforceable, especially if a later writing between the parties (the "public agreement") contains the standard contract language that the writing constitutes the sole agreement between the parties and that all amendments to same must be mutually agreed to in writing.
You know what they say, such agreements are as good as the paper on which they are written. Kinda like verbal commitments in recruiting.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
ESPN realized they didn't have to pay the Big 12 more than a token. All ESPN had to do was buy 3 "no" votes. They already have Texas through the LHN, and it is likely that ESPN threw a couple of million at TCU and Texas Tech, whose opposition to expansion didn't make a lot of sense, in order to get those two schools in ESPN's corner. Once there were 3 solid "no" votes on expansion, the Big 12 didn't have any negotiating leverage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom