Espn Article On Wvu Leaving | The Boneyard

Espn Article On Wvu Leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Perhaps I'm clinging to hope and being completely illogical, but I noticed something fishy in the way that ESPN reported WVU's exit as it relates to UConn.

The first oddity in the story is a quote from Rick Pitino. Obviously he's not an AD or president so his opinion isn't necessarily something we should rejoice over but he's quoted in the article as saying, "I told (Marinatto) we have to make sure this is a basketball conference, too. Take them all," Pitino said. "I told him that the only school that would leave now if it could is Connecticut. They want to go to the ACC. So plan for that."

Plan for that? Is something, at least in Pitino's mind, imminent?

The next nugget I found was "Pitino would like to see football schools Louisville, Rutgers, UConn (for now), Cincinnati and South Florida remain with the Big East and the conference to add Navy, Boise State and Air Force for football and Memphis, Temple, Houston, SMU and Central Florida in all sports."

"UConn (for now)." Kinda makes me think something might be up? Could ESPN know something we don't? Like I said, I might be reaching for something that isn't there.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
At this point, I'll cling onto any glimmer of hope lol.

Reaction Score
Robert Smith on ESPN said something like "with UConn likely head to the ACC" when he was reporting the WVU story. It caught my attention and I thought that was odd. Obviously there is a wall between programming and reporting, but it made my ears perk up given the source.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
PTI also assumes that this will happen. Though it may well happen someday, take it with a grain of salt.

UConn needs to be pessimistic about their chances: try to make the Big East conference the best it can be, or become pleasantly surprised.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Hmm, didn't know that about Robert Smith's quote. Funny, the whole UConn to the ACC ball stopped rolling for a little while. ESPN now seems to be pushing it again. Perhaps a phone call was made from the governor's office?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom