Espn article about conferences vs geography. | The Boneyard

Espn article about conferences vs geography.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Makes you wonder if they want a Mulligan on it all.

Reaction Score
They seem to have left out how UConn got screwed in conference realignment and the role that they played in the breakup of geographic rivalries.
Yup. The irony of of reading how ESPN is waxing poetic about the many issues caused by realignment, is downright hilarious. Where were they when we were busy getting screwed? 7 yrs later they come back with this BS? F’ em.

Reaction Score

I think there’s some there who’d love it if the deck got reshuffled before the media rights bubble bursts in their face and they can’t afford to give a huge raise the next time negotiations are open.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Yes but it will focus on their early history only and completely ignore the years that they were successful.

Beat me to it - was going to say it will be 115 minutes on the demise of aussie rules football and strongman.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Beat me to it - was going to say it will be 115 minutes on the demise of aussie rules football and strongman.
I'd watch that. I enjoyed Australian Rules Football.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score

The're too damn arrogant to ask for a Mulligan. That would imply they did something wrong.

Reaction Score
There is a point with the article about playing teams close to home. For UConn you have 11 Division schools within the Northeast region. Boston College; Connecticut; Syracuse; Temple; Rutgers; Pittsburgh; Penn State; Maryland; Army; Navy; Buffalo and Massachusetts. All of these schools are a bus ride away.

Reaction Score
There is a point with the article about playing teams close to home. For UConn you have 11 Division schools within the Northeast region. Boston College; Connecticut; Syracuse; Temple; Rutgers; Pittsburgh; Penn State; Maryland; Army; Navy; Buffalo and Massachusetts. All of these schools are a bus ride away.
So is Maine, Rhode Island, and New Hampshire

Reaction Score
I’m all for wild RA theories, just as long as we acknowledge fantasy vs reality

Reaction Score
I've always maintained that the ACC going northeast was a bad gambit...especially for geographic cohesion...

I'd trade BC and Cuse, in a NY minute, for UCF and WVU.

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I've always maintained that the ACC going northeast was a bad gambit...especially for geographic cohesion...

I'd trade BC and Cuse, in a NY minute, for UCF and WVU.
The gambit wasn't expansion it was taking out an opponent conference, the Big East. The loss of WVU and UCF wouldn't have impacted the OBE in the least. WVU has always wanted the ACC, the ACC just has/had no interest in them.

Reaction Score
I guess the gambit did not fail then...The ACC was positioning for the big break off to P5...in that sense, it was a good move.

But...the world turns...I would dump Cuse and BC if there ever was a possibility.

Reaction Score
But Shalala bent arms:

"We're very appreciative of the invitation from the A.C.C. to join their conference," Shalala said in a statement. "We are disappointed that they've decided not to extend invitations to Boston College and Syracuse. Since this is a new proposal, we will evaluate it before making a decision."

Reaction Score
Shalala got promises to persuade her to bring Miami to the ACC. Miami had a ton of alumni in the northeast, unlike the other ACC programs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Illini98

Top Bottom