ESPN/ACC lovefest | The Boneyard

ESPN/ACC lovefest

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
How infuriating is it?! -- "Welcome to the sweet 16, brought to you by the ACC'"
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...-2016-sweet-sixteen-brought-to-you-by-the-acc

In reality... here's who they beat by seed... not one team better than a 7 seed (and Dayton was NOT deserving of a 7 seed):

UNC - 16 & 9 seeds
UVA - 16 & 9
Miami - 14 & 11
Duke - 13 & 12
Cuse - 7 & 15
ND - 11 & 14

Fact is... ACC teams got pretty lucky with early upset draws and beat a lot mediocre teams.

I hope to god they flame out before the Final 4. Virginia and UNC seem legit though. But the ESPN love-fest is obnoxious.

Reaction Score
They're having a good tournament... ESPN would be seen as obnoxiously anti-ACC if they wrote an article taking your position. Why were they facing teams that pulled upsets? Well, they didn't get upset themselves.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
If any ACC team wins it all I hope it's Virginia.

Reaction Score
How infuriating is it?! -- "Welcome to the sweet 16, brought to you by the ACC'"
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...-2016-sweet-sixteen-brought-to-you-by-the-acc

In reality... here's who they beat by seed... not one team better than a 7 seed (and Dayton was NOT deserving of a 7 seed):

UNC - 16 & 9 seeds
UVA - 16 & 9
Miami - 14 & 11
Duke - 13 & 12
Cuse - 7 & 15
ND - 11 & 14

Fact is... ACC teams got pretty lucky with early upset draws and beat a lot mediocre teams.

I hope to god they flame out before the Final 4. Virginia and UNC seem legit though. But the ESPN love-fest is obnoxious.

I almost wrote the exact same post.

Yes, getting 6 teams in the Sweet 16 is very impressive, but 2 of those were #1 seeds and the other 4 benefited from significant upsets in the other half of their pod.

Somehow I don't remember the same praise when the Big East was dominating college basketball in the late 00's-early 10's. ESPN is pimping their cash cow.

Reaction Score
I'm actually pulling for Virginia or UNC...yes UNC. In a perfect world UNC wins then the NCAA takes it away next year.

I'm also not the Syracuse hater many of the BY members are. I always rooted for Cuse and other Big East teams in the tournament and I still prefer them over almost all other teams left.

Reaction Score
*shrug*. the proportion is the proportion. 6/16 is impressive regardless of who they had to beat.

look at the American. Tulsa, Cincy, and Temple all knocked out in the first round by mediocre opponents. there's something to be said for winning the games you're supposed to win

Reaction Score

UNC - 16 & 9 seeds
UVA - 16 & 9
Miami - 14 & 11
Duke - 13 & 12
Cuse - 7 & 15
ND - 11 & 14

It's not infuriating at all, not in the least. Doesn't matter who they beat, they have 6 teams in the Sweet 16 and that's a record. Would you feel differently if it were the Big 10 or Big 12 that did it? This inferiority/conspiracy complex with the ACC needs to end. We're not in it and probably never will be.....but that doesn't mean the world has conspired against UConn. Let them enjoy their success....they earned it and it had nothing to do w ESPN, global warming or the recent solar eclipse. Nor is it in any way a slight against UConn.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm actually pulling for Virginia or UNC...yes UNC. In a perfect world UNC wins then the NCAA takes it away next year.

Man, UNC is the number 1 team I want to see lose. They should be banned for 3+ years and have championships stripped.

Instead, they'll be celebrated as a model program. While UCONN is a den of academic iniquity. Yes, I'm bitter. I can't help it.

Death to UNC.

Reaction Score
Man, UNC is the number 1 team I want to see lose. They should be banned for 3+ years and have championships stripped.

Instead, they'll be celebrated as a model program. While UCONN is a den of academic iniquity. Yes, I'm bitter. I can't help it.

Death to UNC.

No to mention that Syracuse got to pick which season they went on probation. Imagine if UConn had that choice...

Reaction Score
Don't hate the conference, hate the teams who couldn't eliminate them.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
No to mention that Syracuse got to pick which season they went on probation. Imagine if UConn had that choice...
Both UNC and Cuse made the choice. Cuse in a down year took an immediate penalty. UNC in an up year gamed the system by suddenly exposed cheating in other sports to allow for this run.

UConn which made players take classes gets hit with penalties for past "transgressions" with a new rule. It's a travesty that irritates may UConn fans.

Of course there is the 2014 NC which righted a lot of wrongs.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Annnnd if we were in the ACC, we would be talking about how great the ACC is with 6 in the last 16. Come on now. The ACC is loaded. Don't try to paint it another way.
However, if you want to talk about the Pac-12 being highly overrated, then I'm right there with you.

Reaction Score

Death to UNC.
Well yeah...my scenario includes existing titles stripped and this year's potential title stripped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom