Eric Dickerson suggests SMU get rid of Football | The Boneyard

Eric Dickerson suggests SMU get rid of Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
"Just stick to academics and basketball and kill that program."

"It's so frustrating for us to watch SMU become nothing but a laughingstock or almost non-existent. It's almost like it doesn't exist."

http://espn.go.com/dallas/college-f...aments-downfall-smu-mustangs-football-program
Well, Chief.

Sort of your own doing. They were playing the likes of A&M, UT, Baylor, and Oklahoma every year as blatant "professionals" in the "amateur" college game.

"We're still sitting there talking about the Death Penalty that happened 30 years ago. It's time to get over that."

Translation:
Pay no attention to that episode in which I was complicit.

Reaction Score
Looks like he wants them to get more serious about football. Like bringing back the slush funds.

And people here are whining about people whining about OUR program?

Reaction Score
I mean it was thirty years ago. We seriously think that SMU was the only school paying players in an era where UNC gives fake grades from pretend classes?

I don't think SMU is still struggling because of the death penalty which is more like 25 years, but maybe they went too far in the other direction.

Reaction Score
June Jones just resigned. Give them a chance to hire a new guy to bring them back around.
I hear George DeLeone is looking for his first Head Coaching job...he's got all that wallpaper with plays on it.

Reaction Score
Well, Chief.

Sort of your own doing. They were playing the likes of A&M, UT, Baylor, and Oklahoma every year as blatant "professionals" in the "amateur" college game.

"We're still sitting there talking about the Death Penalty that happened 30 years ago. It's time to get over that."

Translation:
Pay no attention to that episode in which I was complicit.

You mean he didn't buy that gold Grande Prix convertible with lawn-mowing earnings?

Husky25

Reaction Score
We were really naive. It never occurred to any of us that, while he had all those plays, he didn't understand one of them.
Don't look now, but he has already dispensed of his team's high priced free agent starting running back. Ben Tate is not expected to play this week. I made it a point not to draft any Browns in my fantasy leagues. In part because other than Gordon, none are very good, but also because Coach DeLeone is coaching the offensive line.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You mean he didn't buy that gold Grande Prix convertible with lawn-mowing earnings?
I thought it was a Corvette?!?!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
IIRC it was a gold and black Trans Am, initially secured by an A&M booster who backed out once he found out ED flipped to SMU so an SMU booster came in and took over payment of the vehicle.

Husky25

Reaction Score
IIRC it was a gold and black Trans Am, initially secured by an A&M booster who backed out once he found out ED flipped to SMU so an SMU booster came in and took over payment of the vehicle.
You win the Christmas Turkey...

Mystery of the Trans-Am
The stories of those days are legendary.
In 1979, the pride of Sealy, Eric Dickerson, had Texas A&M convinced he would don the maroon and white. Not long after signing day, according to legend, Dickerson drove a spanking-new Pontiac Trans-Am to Dallas to become part of SMU's Pony Express. Exactly how he got that car and from whom remains a recruiting mystery.

Reaction Score
This will be a recurrent theme around this league of misfits. Just a motley crew of perennial small timers with a smattering of competent teams.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's probably Craig James' fault for killing all those hookers.

Reaction Score
Larry Coker would be a good coach for them. The guy is doing nice things at Texas San Antonio.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Larry Coker would be a good coach for them. The guy is doing nice things at Texas San Antonio.

Check his birthdate. He might be the only coach older than Jones. Too old for a turnaround and not stupid enough to try.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Cheezus Traitor your avatar is.. distracting (and I mean that in the nicest possible way). What was this thread about again?

Reaction Score
Check his birthdate. He might be the only coach older than Jones. Too old for a turnaround and not stupid enough to try.

I don't care about his age. In my opinion, the old man could spend a few years there and set them up nicely for someone else to come in and take over. I'm sure they will go in the direction of "young and energetic" coach, and that's fine. I just think the idea of having someone who has been in Texas the last few years and who has a championship in his resume wouldn't be such a bad idea.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't care about his age. In my opinion, the old man could spend a few years there and set them up nicely for someone else to come in and take over. I'm sure they will go in the direction of "young and energetic" coach, and that's fine. I just think the idea of having someone who has been in Texas the last few years and who has a championship in his resume wouldn't be such a bad idea.

You want a 66 year old man to start an complete overhaul of a program that hasn't been good in 25 years?

I think Coker is the most underrated coach in the country. I have posted a halfdozen times in the last month about how much I love UTSA this year. It would be an awful hire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom