Eric Cobb - C (JuCo) | The Boneyard

Eric Cobb - C (JuCo)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He's huge. He looks like every player that somehow manages to double their average points and rebounds against us.

He moves his feet relatively well. He runs well. He guards people on the perimeter and actually looks decent doing it.

But then he gets tired and can't do any of those things.

He's had offers from Memphis, South Carolina, Kansas State, Boston College, Seton Hall, etc., so despite our resident YouTube talent scouts, somebody else thinks this kid can play basketball.

Keep him away from the BB guns, knock 20 pounds off him and get him running. Certainly worth a shot.

(PS - I love JUCO scorekeeping. Cobb has played 29 games, averaged one minute per game and is scoring at a 423-point per 40 minute clip.)

Reaction Score
He's huge. He looks like every player that somehow manages to double their average points and rebounds against us.

He moves his feet relatively well. He runs well. He guards people on the perimeter and actually looks decent doing it.

He's had offers from Memphis, South Carolina, Kansas State, Boston College, Seton Hall, etc., so despite our resident YouTube talent scouts, somebody else thinks this kid can play basketball.

Keep him away from the BB guns, knock 20 pounds off him and get him running. Certainly worth a shot.

(PS - I love JUCO scorekeeping. Cobb has played 29 games, averaged one minute per game and is scoring at a 423-point per 40 minute clip.)

Pretty much what I see, if there's no grad transfer staring us in the face, why not?

Reaction Score
Is he in any way a project? Uconn needs a big man but not someone who needs to work on their game a ton like Brimah.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
One minute per game?

Reaction Score
Our frontcourt is going to be by-committee anyway, so there's not much harm in adding another body, even if he can only go 3-4 minutes at a time twice a game without throwing up all over himself.

At the very least he'd help Enoch, Durham, and Carlton develop in practice (another downside of having only project bigs).

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Unless there's a much better grad transfer/juco out there, and I doubt that there is, then this may be the big body we need. But someone get him a nutritionist and 6 days a week of running/aerobic conditioning, pronto.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
He's huge. He looks like every player that somehow manages to double their average points and rebounds against us. He moves his feet relatively well. He runs well. He guards people on the perimeter and actually looks decent doing it.But then he gets tired and can't do any of those things. He's had offers from Memphis, South Carolina, Kansas State, Boston College, Seton Hall, etc., so despite our resident YouTube talent scouts, somebody else thinks this kid can play basketball.
Keep him away from the BB guns, knock 20 pounds off him and get him running. Certainly worth a shot. (PS - I love JUCO scorekeeping. Cobb has played 29 games, averaged one minute per game and is scoring at a 423-point per 40 minute clip.)
Is this guy an assassin? I think his addition is bullet proof.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The grad transfer route isn't as appealing with this team.

We're not gearing up for a title run next year and a stop-gap player who won't be here the following season isn't in our long-term interests. Better to try to develop a player.

Reaction Score

We're not gearing up for a title run next year and a stop-gap player who won't be here the following season isn't in our long-term interests. Better to try to develop a player.
Do you realize the can of worms you've just unleashed with that statement?? This thread is now on its way to 100 pages with guaranteed references to at least 46 coaches, past and present.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Do you realize the can of worms you've just unleashed with that statement?? This thread is now on its way to 100 pages with guaranteed references to at least 46 coaches, past and present.

If it stalls, I'll insult Penn State or the Patriots and that will carry it.

Reaction Score

You take the best available whether it's a grad transfer, juco or high school kid. We thought we had the goods going into last season with our two stud grad transfers and we ended up pretty mediocre. Nobody thought we were doing anything heading into 2011 and we won the whole thing. You never know what to expect, always take the best available to help you right now.

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score
You take the best available whether it's a grad transfer, juco or high school kid. We thought we had the goods going into last season with our two stud grad transfers and we ended up pretty mediocre. Nobody thought we were doing anything heading into 2011 and we won the whole thing. You never know what to expect, always take the best available to help you right now.
Those were "stud" grad transfers, but not "studs" overall. They were a good shooting undersized 2 guard and an Ivy League power forward who, while talented and productive, got owned by Kansas frontcourt.

Reaction Score
Those were "stud" grad transfers, but not "studs" overall. They were a good shooting undersized 2 guard and an Ivy League power forward who, while talented and productive, got owned by Kansas frontcourt.
Yeah we shouldn't take grad transfers who can't get it done against one of the top 3 front courts in the country in his one chance against them.

Reaction Score

More of a stop gap on Ollie's job security. But I still like the idea of more depth and bodies that way if someone's not listening, you don't let them continue to make the same mistake for 15 minutes in a row and instead yank his as$ like Calhoun used to do, and whoever performs and listens plays.

Reaction Score
That's why I said stud grad transfers. They were two very good college basketball players. Miller is clearly better than anyone on our current frontcourt, not that it's saying much.

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score
That's why I said stud grad transfers. They were two very good college basketball players. Miller is clearly better than anyone on our current frontcourt, not that it's saying much.
My bad, I read to much into "stud".

Reaction Score
Watched some film on Cobb(3 games) not a large sample size but these are my observations:

Strengths:
Move pretty well end to end for a big man. Not slow and lumbery(made up word) at all

Soft Touch

Pretty good passer

Uses his lower body for positioning pretty well

Shows ability to make smooth post moves

Weaknesses:
Doesn't have great hands

Lacks lateral quickness and mobility

Doesn't read bounces off the rim well. Slow reactor in general

Doesn't leave the ground much to pursue rebounds

Struggles to finish off of good post moves

Lacks aggression

My Conclusion is that he's a risk.we should take. Potential is there he just needs some fire lit under his ass. Not a great motor but I think KO and Co. can fix that. If he can find that grown man bad mf'r type motor he can be the big we've been missing. Big IF but a chance we have to take with the options we have

Reaction Score
Watched some film on Cobb(3 games) not a large sample size but these are my observations:

Strengths:
Move pretty well end to end for a big man. Not slow and lumbery(made up word) at all

Soft Touch

Pretty good passer

Uses his lower body for positioning pretty well

Shows ability to make smooth post moves

Weaknesses:
Doesn't have great hands

Lacks lateral quickness and mobility

Doesn't read bounces off the rim well. Slow reactor in general

Doesn't leave the ground much to pursue rebounds

Struggles to finish off of good post moves

Lacks aggression

My Conclusion is that he's a risk.we should take. Potential is there he just needs some fire lit under his ass. Not a great motor but I think KO and Co. can fix that. If he can find that grown man bad mf'r type motor he can be the big we've been missing. Big IF but a chance we have to take with the options we have

Fair observations. JUCO tends to lack coaching and guys who get more out of their players, different world. If he wants to get better, work hard and earn minutes then he may come here and get that fire you speak of. There's some "man" to work with it would seem, so hear's hoping.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Seem like he's worth the chance. Hopeful for a commit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom