EPL during the holidays!!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

EPL during the holidays!!!

Reaction Score
Though I hate to see Spurs ahead of us, it was probably best to take points of Chelsea.

We are gonna be short in midfield for a bit. Cazorla still looks to be a couple months away (probably longer), Coquelin is out now with a hammie, Elneny is off to the African Cup. Özil is coming back from being sick (flu, strep?). Think we are down to Xhaka, Ramsey and Iwobi for the 3 midfield positions.

Might be getting Welbeck back soon though, maybe for the FA this weekend. Wenger will have to do some rotation for that. Dip into the youth probably.

What's the general consensus on the fairness of EPL? The standings seem a lot more familiar this year, even to someone that only started following (a bit more each year) about 4 years ago. Is that just a coincidence? Money? I ask, because it seems like the questionable calls (offsides, red cards, PKs) seem to be going to the favor of the traditional power on a regular basis. A ref's calls are so subjective in soccer that you can always second guess, but it seems to be a pattern. My 10 year old is a Man U fan. Their most recent win was totally handed to them with a questionable (at best) early red card, and a non-called offside. FIFA has certainly had it's issues, but I've never thought of EPL as being (somewhat) fixed? Am I imagining things or is this an issue?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
What's the general consensus on the fairness of EPL? The standings seem a lot more familiar this year, even to someone that only started following (a bit more each year) about 4 years ago. Is that just a coincidence? Money? I ask, because it seems like the questionable calls (offsides, red cards, PKs) seem to be going to the favor of the traditional power on a regular basis. A ref's calls are so subjective in soccer that you can always second guess, but it seems to be a pattern. My 10 year old is a Man U fan. Their most recent win was totally handed to them with a questionable (at best) early red card, and a non-called offside. FIFA has certainly had it's issues, but I've never thought of EPL as being (somewhat) fixed? Am I imagining things or is this an issue?
Not sure about bad calls etc within games as I think that claim can be made in every sport on every level. In terms of the standings, they will always contain 3 of Arsenal, Chelsea, ManU, Man City. Then you'll get either a Tottenham, Liverpool, or a random team to round out the top 4 or 5. It all comes down to money and those 5 teams have it in boat loads. You then have the Evertons and Stokes of the league who are consistently mid table and at times get higher. After that you get a bunch of teams that get promoted and have a few good seasons or more (West Ham, West Brom, Southampton, Swansea, Sunderland). However, those teams flirt with relegation and in the case of Swansea this year, may actually go down.

The only blip on this came last season with Leicester winning it all and Chelsea finishing on the wrong end of mid table. However they will always be a rarity if not a once in a lifetime thing.

So your son being a Man U fan will guarantee him a life of enjoying EPL soccer. For fans of the non Big 5, you just pray you don't have a down season.

Reaction Score
...... Spurs are finally healthy (which they haven't been since September) .......
I jinxed it, sorry Vertonghen... this one is on me. He's definitely out for the City match this weekend, and thought to be out for 6 weeks due to re-injuring the same ankle that had him miss part of the Euros and the beginning of the season.

Ever since Spurs witched to 3-4-2-1 with a back line of Dier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen allowing Rose and Walker to play more of a midfield role on the outside with Alli nd Ericksen supporting Kane up top Spurs have been on fire. Hopefully Davies and/or Wimmer can cover the left and they don't have to revert back to a 4 man back line. Big test at City Saturday. The Citizen's are on the brink of collapsing and are viewing this as a MUST win match.

Reaction Score

If you don't like the calls then just wait a game or two.

I jinxed it, sorry Vertonghen... this one is on me. He's definitely out for the City match this weekend, and thought to be out for 6 weeks due to re-injuring the same ankle that had him miss part of the Euros and the beginning of the season.

Ever since Spurs witched to 3-4-2-1 with a back line of Dier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen allowing Rose and Walker to play more of a midfield role on the outside with Alli nd Ericksen supporting Kane up top Spurs have been on fire. Hopefully Davies and/or Wimmer can cover the left and they don't have to revert back to a 4 man back line. Big test at City Saturday. The Citizen's are on the brink of collapsing and are viewing this as a MUST win match.

Pep's stock is dropping like a rock. But, it remains to be seen if he is being exposed or they are just slumping. The EPL has the best managers in the world now so at any given moment, Pep, Conte, Jose, Mauricio, Jurgen etc are going to be looking bad. But the argument that Pep doesn't know what to do when he isn't running a super club like Barcelona or Bayern is compelling.

Reaction Score

With Davies and Wimmer to cover, while you hate losing any starter I don't think the loss of Vertonghen hurts them that much. He missed 2 to 3 months last year in the second half of the season, Wimmer covered for him and Spurs played really well in Vertonghen's absence.

As for the 3 FB formation, I don't think there is any risk they move away from that any time soon, assuming Walker and Rose stay on the field. I do think that when they play their second unit (like they will against Wycombe in the next FA Cup tie), you will see them revert to 4 at the back. Having Trippier and Davies playing wing backs, as opposed to more defensive fullbacks in a 4 man back, doesn't get you what moving Walker and Rose up does.

Reaction Score
If you don't like the calls then just wait a game or two.

Pep's stock is dropping like a rock. But, it remains to be seen if he is being exposed or they are just slumping. The EPL has the best managers in the world now so at any given moment, Pep, Conte, Jose, Mauricio, Jurgen etc are going to be looking bad. But the argument that Pep doesn't know what to do when he isn't running a super club like Barcelona or Bayern is compelling.

I've only followed the EPL closely for a few years, but it seems that media and fans over react to short term trends there at a level even beyond what we do here. Maybe it's because one sport dominant the sports landscape there in a way that isn't the case here?

The season in Europe, even excluding national team summer tournaments, runs 9 months. That is such a long season, you can't expect teams to be consistent the entire way through it.

Pep didn't become less good a manager because City played a horrific game. Especially one where they totally dominated the ball for 30 minutes and easily could have been up 2 goals before they gave up the first. Stuff happens.

Reaction Score
I've only followed the EPL closely for a few years, but it seems that media and fans over react to short term trends there at a level even beyond what we do here. Maybe it's because one sport dominant the sports landscape there in a way that isn't the case here?

The season in Europe, even excluding national team summer tournaments, runs 9 months. That is such a long season, you can't expect teams to be consistent the entire way through it.

Pep didn't become less good a manager because City played a horrific game. Especially one where they totally dominated the ball for 30 minutes and easily could have been up 2 goals before they gave up the first. Stuff happens.
I call it the fanboy English Media. I follow cycling and Formula One. Before Lewis Hamilton even won a Grand Prix he was "Better than Senna". When Mark Cavendish was winning sprint stages they wondered out loud if he would win a Tour de France which would be like John Terry winning the Balon d'or as a Striker.

Reaction Score

Similar EPL newbie. My interpretation of the reaction from media and fans is: i) English media is freakin' crazy. Everything is gossip and reality infused. 2) All the coaches seem to be moody jerks. I'm sure point 1 plays into this, but whether they are interviewed after a win or loss they all come off like moody Euros. 3) The league definitely gets broken into top, middle, bottom. I'm learning about the financial importance of being at the top, but it seems like it's really hard to move up at the top of the table. Man U hasn't lost in in forever, but they haven't caught anyone and only seem to be gaining ground on Man City. A 5 game period with only a point or two can really crush your chances at top 5 (or whatever the minimum acceptable cutoff is).

Sorry to see Leicester suck so bad. I also find myself rooting like crazy for every lower division team in the myriad of English playoffs. It definitely seems that as an outsider without a geographical reason to pick a team, you are committing self flagellation if you pick someone other than one of the top clubs (or at least the traditional middle clubs and hope for a dream season). My son picked Man U because his first travel coach was a fan. My daughter picked Chelsea because of the color of their uniform. I liked Newcastle because of the Seahorse on their crest. I chose.... poorly.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
TFG Berahino is gone. Well played by morans on both sides.

Reaction Score
Similar EPL newbie. My interpretation of the reaction from media and fans is: i) English media is freakin' crazy. Everything is gossip and reality infused. 2) All the coaches seem to be moody jerks. I'm sure point 1 plays into this, but whether they are interviewed after a win or loss they all come off like moody Euros. 3) The league definitely gets broken into top, middle, bottom. I'm learning about the financial importance of being at the top, but it seems like it's really hard to move up at the top of the table. Man U hasn't lost in in forever, but they haven't caught anyone and only seem to be gaining ground on Man City. A 5 game period with only a point or two can really crush your chances at top 5 (or whatever the minimum acceptable cutoff is).

Sorry to see Leicester suck so bad. I also find myself rooting like crazy for every lower division team in the myriad of English playoffs. It definitely seems that as an outsider without a geographical reason to pick a team, you are committing self flagellation if you pick someone other than one of the top clubs (or at least the traditional middle clubs and hope for a dream season). My son picked Man U because his first travel coach was a fan. My daughter picked Chelsea because of the color of their uniform. I liked Newcastle because of the Seahorse on their crest. I chose.... poorly.

I follow and pull for West Brom a bit, but I have a hard time developing an emotional attachment, so I am fan of the whole spectacle more so than anything else.

I just spent a year working around Brits. For them it is so tribal. If you're a Nottingham Forest fan and you're in the Championship then most likely you only follow what is happening in the Championship. They usually don't have a team they follow in the Premiership and the other leagues.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Three points AT Liverpool?!? Holy crap! Loved today's game. They looked composed and solid. I thought they were finished after Liverpool equalized. My hope for this season is quickly refilling!

Reaction Score
Ya. Really liked how the Swans stepped up after relinquishing the 2 goal lead. That is New for them. Earlier this season when they'd go down a go or give up a tying goal it was all over and they'd self destruct. They look like a completely different team in '17 compared to '16.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Ya. Really liked how the Swans stepped up after relinquishing the 2 goal lead. That is New for them. Earlier this season when they'd go down a go or give up a tying goal it was all over and they'd self destruct. They look like a completely different team in '17 compared to '16.
Agree entirely. Like you said, previously, they'd give up one goal and then the flood gates opened up. Liverpool had a lot of opportunities to get a go ahead goal yet the defense stepped up. Some very unnervy moments in the last 25 mins of game time. However, I was really impressed they were able to get the go ahead goal. They played in a tight defensive formation for the majority of the game so when they gave up two goals I was hoping they'd just hold defensively and get a point. Was shocked when Siggy netted the game winner.

With CP and Sunderland both losing, Swansea is clear of the drop zone. However, their GD is going to come back and bite them unless they are able to get a good distance from the bottom 3. Onto Southampton!

Reaction Score
2-2, Spurs win. Phewwww. They were gifted a draw. That said, WTF Lloris? Both City goals were on him and never should have happened.

Hoping Alderwiereld's injury isn't too bad. Wimmer looked very shaky in Vertonghen place. They can't afford to be without Vertonghen and Alderweireld.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
WBA got offered 32 million by a chinese club for Rondon. These teams may be just too rich. Very good player but yikes.

Reaction Score
What a bizarre day today...
Spurs draw at bottom of the table Sunderland. Rose left with an injury, their back line is slowly becoming depleted. They've also moved away from the 3-4-2-1 that was working so well.
Arsenal loses at the Emirates to Watford
Chelsea draws at Liverpool - Costa failing to convert a late PK.
Swansea with a big win v Southampton...proving that just maybe... Bradley was the problem.
Leicester loses to Burnley and is now in the cross hairs of bottom 3.
Palace with a huge win @ Bournemouth

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Huge win from Swansea yesterday. Clements has found the key to get that back line to play as a unit. Next week vs Man City will be tough and I just hope they hold them to a goal or two to not to continue to their terrible GD from rising.

Palace winning took a tiny bit of the joy away from the win, as did Sunderland drawing against Spurs. Hopefully Hull loses today. Just a few more tough games on Swansea's schedule before they hit an easier stretch of game where they should get more points. I'm feeling good about our chances to stay up but really think they may have shot the,selves in the foot with that December fiasco against the bottom half of the table.

Then again, last season, they were in a similar position and pulled off an upset against Arsenal to combine with winning 9 or so of their final games and finish almost mid table. Here's to hoping history repeats itself.

Really like Olsson (sp?) and Carrol has been solid surprisingly. Their new winger showed he can play yesterday by setting up Siggy for the game winner. Hopefully he'll also help get more balls into Lorente in the middle. I think that keeping Lorente was one of the biggest wins for Swansea this transfer window.

Reaction Score
the crazy mid-week results continue with Hull earning a point at Man U
City looks to be getting their mojo back after a 4-0 result @ West Ham.
The Stoke - Everton draw was not a big surprise.

The BIG match this weekend is Chelsea v Arsenal at 7:30am. Nice way to start a Saturday!

The top 2-6 is jam packed right now. Should be a fun final 3 1/2 months to see who finishes top 4.
1- Chelsea 56 pts (+32 gd)
2- Spurs 47 pts (+29 gd)
3- Arsenal 47 pts (+26 gd)
4- Liverpool 46 pts (+24 gd)
5- City 46 pts (+19 gd)
6- United 42 pts (+12 gd)

Reaction Score
Tough day for Ibrahomovich and United. He's lucky not to have gotten a couple red cards today...he fails to convert a PK, and United cant take advantage of a man advantage for more than a half, ends up drawing with Bournemouth.

Ibra will most likely get a 3 game suspension for a flagrant elbow to a defenders head that the ref missed.

Reaction Score
Kane likely done for the season suffering an ankle injury in the opening minutes of FA Cup game v. Millwall. Really tough break going down the stretch. Gonna need Jannsen and Son to step up in a huge way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom