Epic OT: Most famous person you ever spoke with? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Epic OT: Most famous person you ever spoke with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
I just reread your list and I can't believe I asked for a story on Carrot Top. But, I did so please tell me a Carrot Top story:)

He performed at a convention event.....Had the opportunity to speak with him before he went on.

Interesting character, if a bit high strung.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
As a boy I met Dennis the Apprentice from Captain Kangaroo's show. He smelled like gin.
As a boy I met Emmy Jo of New Zoo Revue. I touched her butt.
As a boy I met the Lamont Sanford guy. Cool cat.

As a 20 something I saw Ralph Malph. I yelled "Ralph Malph!!!" He laughed.

I ate pizza with the band Third World right on York Street in New haven around 1988.

As an older adult I avoid famous people.

Reaction Score
As a boy I met Dennis the Apprentice from Captain Kangaroo's show. He smelled like gin.

I ate pizza with the band Third World right on York Street in New haven around 1988.

As a general observation, athletes tend to be more cordial although Robin Williams was a pisser. I was working for a toy company and we planned on producing a Mork from Ork toy. Williams had formal approval of the toy. Someone suggested that I should talk to him since he didn't like our marketing director who was a pompous ass. I called him at his agent's office at a designated time and asked when we could expect him to sign off on the toy. In nice way he said "never." I asked him why and he replied: "Because it is not fun. "He made a few jokes after that and wasn't the least bit impressed with himself.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Met a few politicians, CEO's, celebrities and sports figures, but the most memorable by far was when I was 27 I was 1 of 9 people at a lunch with Fred Joseph, former CEO of Drexel Burnham in the 80's. That guy had some stories.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Slash of GnR. Men's room Doll House Fort Lauderdale after Orange Bowl Game in 90's

Reaction Score

You know Dennis was also the Dancing Bear, right?

Reaction Score
Sugar Ray Seales

My best friend and I were on a road trip across the country. As we were checking out of our hotel near Kansas City, a middle-aged guy approached us and asked if we wanted to see a gold medal. He introduced himself as Sugar Ray, took a gold medal out of his pocket and put it around each of our necks.

We were both too awestruck and dumbfounded to take a picture. I had no idea who he was until I looked it up later to see that, indeed, Sugar Ray Seales won an Olympic gold medal in 1972 in boxing. Needless to say, that was the first, last, and only time I ever have worn an Olympic medal.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

I was a main character in a Childrens Book read on the Captain Kangaroo show in 1973.

Not the title character but his best friend.

51mg54QikbL._SL500_SY493_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Reaction Score
The most famous person I've been in the direct presence of: Mick Jagger in a London elevator. I said hello, he said hello back.

Most famous person I've had real communication with as an adult: Mark Cuban.

Most famous person I hung out with as a kid: Corey Haim (RIP) filmed a movie in my school and we hung out a bunch for a few weeks. I should've reached out to him a number of years later to see about getting Nicole Eggert's number after their movie.

Reaction Score
Getting in late. But great thread.

Sting
Mick Jagger
Elton John
MJ
Don Henley
( a ton of other musicians -but more current)
Steve Martin
Tom Hanks
President Carter
The Dalai Lama

Reaction Score
Bo Derek
W. F. Buckley, Jr.
David Niven
Ted Turner
Sloan Wilson
Jackie Robinson
Rocky Bleier
James Carville
Colin Powell
John Riggins
Jack Palance
Treat Williams
Jack Cassady
Jorma Kaukonen
Carrot Top
George Will
Burt Rutan
tell us the Jack Cassady story

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I would say Muhammad Ali but thought of a better one. I met Jenna Jameson at LAX once when she was young. I wanted to shake her hand and say "It's nice for our hands to finally meet. I feel like I've known you for years." I chickened out and hummena, hummena, hummena'd.

Ali who?

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
tell us the Jack Cassady story
Went to see Hot Tuna at the Lowell (MA) summer music festival, a few years back. Pretty open venue.

I was wandering around and saw Jack and Jorma.....Introduced myself (BFD for them, I guess) and got them to sign my nice new "If you don't know Jorma, You don't know Jack" t-shirt.

Right after that, Jorma's wife got a little POd that the venue was quite that open, and security strung up some more fence bits and yellow tape to...you know....keep the riff raff out.

Reaction Score
Kathy Lee Gifford
Shaq ( O'neal, not Goodwin)

Gary the Reatard and High pitch Eric from Stern, not at the same time but 2 separate occasions about 10 years apart.

Almost forget talked the Rip Hamilton years ago after a Chris Rock show at the Oakdale while he was at Uconn
Spoke to Randy White on the phone too

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ray, Cliff and lots of other UConn guys. (Drinks with Ray, yes he drank some)
Rosie O'Donnell, shorter than I expected. Seems alright.
Larry Bird--despite what some say, always nice and willing to talk
Shaq, awesome dude.
Keifer Sutherland, drinks while filming Young Guns 2
Judge Judy
Luke Bryan, Blake Shelton, lots of other country music people
Bill Parcells, intimidating and I'm not easily intimidated at all.
Brian Dennehy, same as Parcells, tremendous presence, intimidating
The Madoffs, seemed like a great family. Sons were definitely innocent.
Rick Ocasek with Paulina Poriskova, never a Cars fan, slightly before my prime, Rick had huge star presence.
All the Whalers of their prime years. Ron Francis was all class.

Reaction Score
Justin Timberlake
Idris Elba
Madonna

Charlie Sheen
Andre Drummond
Lance Armstrong
Halle Berry
Olivia Wilde
Usain Bolt
Natalie Portman

Reaction Score
I live in Los Angeles, so celebrity encounters are common. By the way, if you wish to see stars in the L.A. area don’t go to high-end Hollywood clubs or bars, head to the Whole Foods Market on Wilshire in Santa Monica. I have seen too many stars there to count.

A couple of stories…

I resemble Woody Harrelson, to the point that people periodically ask me for an autograph. When the movie White Man Can’t Jump was released, I played a lot of basketball with a friend who is a dead ringer for Wesley Snipes. We would get teased, until the ball started bouncing and they could see we could play.

My neighborhood basketball courts after moving to California were at Lincoln Park (now named Reed Park) in Santa Monica, which the band Linkin Park named themselves after. The first time I went there some dude called out “Hey, Woody!” and approached me. After telling him I wasn’t the actor, he mentioned he thought I might be because Woody often played on those courts while preparing for his role in White Men Can’t Jump. He said Woody is a pretty good baller, which I think you can tell from the movie.

So, I guess I’m the most famous person (a Woody Harrelson look-alike) I have talked to. (I often talk to myself.)

Also at that park, I was once shooting alone when the ball bounced off the court into the path of some dude walking with a woman. He picked the ball up and tossed it to me underhanded like a little girl. After they had passed, another dude walking by asked me, “Do you know who that was?” I responded no, and he told me it was Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner. Okay, I thought, he throws like a little girl.

Just for @prankster…

One story, not related to basketball. When my daughter was a toddler she would get fidgety in restaurants if we remained too long. To placate her, I would take her outside and walk back and forth on the sidewalk.

One evening, outside a Mexican restaurant in Santa Monica, Kevin Bacon was standing by the entrance chatting with several people. Every time we passed by he would flirt with my daughter, by no means in a creepy way—he was charming and she loved it. I guess this makes me one degree of Kevin Bacon, and, by extension, the Boneyard is now two degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom