Enjoy the ride | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Enjoy the ride

Reaction Score
The guy, who in another thread, felt the need to spit out "It is amazing that Hurley was able to coach UConn to a win over the might Iona Gaels" is now telling us to enjoy the ride. That's some good coaching by Hurley, right there.
:)

Reaction Score
I;d like Karaban to have a bigger offensive role because he’s ice. The problem is that he’s not quick enough to create his own shot more catch and shoot and rebound putbacks. Any way to get him more shots?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You and Excalibur struggle with sarcasm.

One of the things that is making this board tough to read is that the same people who rip Hurley to shreds in the game chat attack any poster who doesn't proclaim that Hurley is a better coach than John Wooden. Hurley is what he is. There are some things he does well, and some things he doesn't. If you and Excalibur can't get your heads around that, then it is not worth explaining it to you.
No struggle with sarcasm here. I don't think you are very good at it.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I;d like Karaban to have a bigger offensive role because he’s ice. The problem is that he’s not quick enough to create his own shot more catch and shoot and rebound putbacks. Any way to get him more shots?
He's a freshman and you've seen when Freshmen are counted on for big points in this day and age it doesn't always work out. Let him play Robin to Hawkins and Sanogos Batmen. He will do his thing and at several points in the game someone will forget about him and he will make a couple of dagger threes!

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
He's a freshman and you've seen when Freshmen are counted on for big points in this day and age it doesn't always work out.

Disagree. We’ve seen when AK is counted on for big points and the man consistently delivers. Kid is a baller and plays well beyond his years.

Reaction Score
You and Excalibur struggle with sarcasm.

One of the things that is making this board tough to read is that the same people who rip Hurley to shreds in the game chat attack any poster who doesn't proclaim that Hurley is a better coach than John Wooden. Hurley is what he is. There are some things he does well, and some things he doesn't. If you and Excalibur can't get your heads around that, then it is not worth explaining it to you.

Morons with more straw man arguments.

Reaction Score
No struggle with sarcasm here. I don't think you are very good at it.

The obvious sarcasm was the whole point of his post. Unless he now claims that he was serious . . .

Reaction Score
It actually isn’t. UConn has had maybe 8 teams that I thought were legitimately capable of making the Final Four without extraordinary assistance or luck. 1990, 1994, 1995, 1999, 2004, 2006 (although everyone saw this team’s issues), 2009 and 2011. With the exception of 1990 (UNLV was a wrecking crew), UConn was as good in those years as any team in the country. I thought 1996, 1998, 2002 and 2014 were long shots to make the Final Four. Their deep runs were fun, but those teams would all have needed major help to win it those years. 2014 may be the worst team to win it all since Villanova or NC State in the 80’s.

This year’s team fits in the first group. It is good enough to win it, and there is not a dominant team or teams standing in UConn’s way. Every team needs to play great every game and get a little luck to win it, but this year’s UConn team doesn’t need anything crazy to happen.
2 16 seed upsets in 5 years. 3 straight 15 seeds in the round of 16. 2 top seeds out by the end of the third day. Yup. Totally not a crapshoot.

Based on your response I'm guessing you misunderstood my point.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
2 16 seed upsets in 5 years. 3 straight 15 seeds in the round of 16. 2 top seeds out by the end of the third day. Yup. Totally not a crapshoot.

Based on your response I'm guessing you misunderstood my point.

It appears I have a stalker.

Reaction Score
Yup, I'm the one that called you out by name twice in a post. Got it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You’ve got that one right . You have 96 wrong

I won't argue this one too hard. 1996 was a really strong year in the Big East, with Villanova and Georgetown both excellent and in the Top 10 with UConn for almost the whole season, and Syracuse making the National Title game. UConn's 32-3 record was against a legit schedule, but after Ray, Doron, King and Knight, there was Rudy, and then there was a big dropoff. Ricky Moore was a strong defender, and Rash did a little of everything. Heyward basically just ate space. This was not a great defensive team, and Doron was a little streaky from the field.

Mississippi State was underrated, and I believe ended up putting three players in the pros, so they were legitimately good. This was a very good team, just not as good as some of the other teams from the 90's. That said, I wouldn't push back too hard if you wanted to put it in the first group.

Reaction Score
It’s a nice thread, but saying Hurley isn’t a great Xs and Os guy when his team is one of 2 to be top 20 in offense and defense, with only one sure fire NBA player. That must mean he’s doing something right with the game plan/strategy/play calling.
I’d say the biggest person to develop this year wasn’t a player. It was our coach. He has made tremendous strides and with this improved version coupled with his ability to assemble a staff and recruit we will have him in storrs for quite some time. We are lucky for that. This is the perfect place for him.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I won't argue this one too hard. 1996 was a really strong year in the Big East, with Villanova and Georgetown both excellent and in the Top 10 with UConn for almost the whole season, and Syracuse making the National Title game. UConn's 32-3 record was against a legit schedule, but after Ray, Doron, King and Knight, there was Rudy, and then there was a big dropoff. Ricky Moore was a strong defender, and Rash did a little of everything. Heyward basically just ate space. This was not a great defensive team, and Doron was a little streaky from the field.

Mississippi State was underrated, and I believe ended up putting three players in the pros, so they were legitimately good. This was a very good team, just not as good as some of the other teams from the 90's. That said, I wouldn't push back too hard if you wanted to put it in the first group.
I believe we were the overall 1 seed

Reaction Score
The team also needs guys who can be clutch in close games. Whether you are up or down by a couple, you need ballers with ice in their veins.
And this is exactly why we won in 2014.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It’s a nice thread, but saying Hurley isn’t a great Xs and Os guy when his team is one of 2 to be top 20 in offense and defense, with only one sure fire NBA player. That must mean he’s doing something right with the game plan/strategy/play calling.

Game day coaching is maybe 20-30% of how a coach drives wins. Calhoun was a decent game coach, but is one of the GOATs when it comes to player development.

Reaction Score
I’m amazed that people claiming to have followed college basketball for 30 years haven’t figured out that the tournament is more of a crapshoot now than it ever has been.
It’s changed quite a bit with a lot more unpredictability and mid-tiers are playing some serious ball.

Reaction Score
Game day coaching is maybe 20-30% of how a coach drives wins. Calhoun was a decent game coach, but is one of the GOATs when it comes to player development.
And he was a great motivator.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
And he was a great motivator.
He was also a guy that berated refs, but eventually earned their fear and respect. Calhoun is a legend at a million things but that one might’ve been his greatest trick.

Reaction Score
Caron Butler was amazing that year and carried a very young UConn team to a couple of bad calls away from the Final Four, but that was more Caron playing out his butt than UConn having a great team. Johnny Selvie was the second best player on the team. Enough said.
I think the freshman versions of Emeka Okafor and Ben Gordon might have had something to say about that evaluation

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He was also a guy that berated refs, but eventually earned their fear and respect. Calhoun is a legend at a million things but that one might’ve been his greatest trick.

Screaming at refs was never much of a competitive advantage. Turning two dozen or so recruits (only an handful of whom were McD AAs) into NBA players is why Calhoun is the GOAT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom