Enhance your ESPN2 listening pleasure. | The Boneyard

Enhance your ESPN2 listening pleasure.

Reaction Score
Wife and I not fond of the rather constant announcer chatter having NOTHING to do with our UCONN game - and instead getting the endless pimping of other broadcasts to come on on the deuce. We finally decided to mute the announcing and it turned out to provide a very pleasant viewing experience. Hope our suggestion will please a few of you.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I now routinely mute some announcing teams as do others here. A variation involves tuning in the radio crew from UConn's new radio franchisee for sports broadcasting. When they go split screen to blather with some eminence in the stands I hit mute and walk out of the room or walk up to within 3 feet of the TV (a mere 32-35?) screen.

Reaction Score
I now routinely mute some announcing teams as do others here. A variation involves tuning in the radio crew from UConn's new radio franchisee for sports broadcasting.

ROCK: great idea re the radio; we have always enjoyed the radio broadcasts.

Reaction Score
I was texting back and forth with my sister during the game yesterday, and we both remarked that Kara and Beth were missing a pretty good game.
I guess I'm just old fashioned, but I miss the days of a play-by-play and a color commentator.
TELL ME WHAT'S GOING ON! WHO IS THAT FOUL ON?
Instead, we get droning on and on about who goes where in the NCAA's...

Reaction Score
I was texting back and forth with my sister during the game yesterday, and we both remarked that Kara and Beth were missing a pretty good game.
I guess I'm just old fashioned, but I miss the days of a play-by-play and a color commentator.
It’s worse than that... it’s just Charlie Creme’s opinions.

Reaction Score
Wife and I not fond of the rather constant announcer chatter having NOTHING to do with our UCONN game - and instead getting the endless pimping of other broadcasts to come on on the deuce. We finally decided to mute the announcing and it turned out to provide a very pleasant viewing experience. Hope our suggestion will please a few of you.
For years when I could get Bob Joyce or other WTIC Uconn BB team, I preferred to turn off the volume on the TV and turn up the radio--much much better play by play and less BS Chit Chat--Now I can't get them and they are nearly muted naturally.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I would do the same but I can't get the radio broadcasts.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
For years when I could get Bob Joyce or other WTIC Uconn BB team, I preferred to turn off the volume on the TV and turn up the radio--much much better play by play and less BS Chit Chat--Now I can't get them and they are nearly muted naturally.

You can still get Bob Joyce and Debbie Fisk on the call of all UConn women’s Basketball games. They can be heard on ESPN 97.9 Hartford. You can access this station through several different mediums. I use iHeart radio. iHeart radio is available on your smartphone or your computer. It’s available to anyone anywhere that has access to the World Wide Webb.

I listen to Joyce’s pre and post game shows for every game. I prefer his pre and post game show over SNY’s. Games on ESPN don’t have 30 minute pre and post game shows when they broadcast our games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
You can still get Bob Joyce and Debbie Fisk on the call of all UConn women’s Basketball games. They can be heard on ESPN 97.9 Hartford. You can access this station through several different mediums. I use iHeart radio. iHeart radio is available on your smartphone or your computer. It’s available to anyone anywhere that has access to the World Wide Webb.

I listen to Joyce’s pre and post game shows for every game. I prefer his pre and post game show over SNY’s. Games on ESPN don’t have 30 minute pre and post game shows when they broadcast our games.
Thanks; very helpful.

This topic reminded me how many people muted Celtic’s games on TV to listen to Johnny Most.

Reaction Score

Thanks @Scoop. Good information. I'm pleased you like Bobs assessment of the team and games--
I have a minor problem: The deafness that began 10 years ago doesn't allow me to hear TV or Radio. Luckily from 3 ft I can still hear my wife with a hearing aid. AS the man said: it is what it is. In Ct way back when I typically turn off the TV sound and tuned to 1080 AM.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
We are all on the same page. ESPN is terrible with the constant showing stats, etc on half of the screen. And the broadcast team is never with the game, who was the foul on, what just happened, and sometimes we must also see the broadcast team while the game is going on. Does ESPN not understand, people want to see the game. There is plenty of sports talk shows, if you desire to watch. Maybe a petition, sent to ESPN?

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Our likes and dislikes of broadcasting crews are a constant thread on the BY. As far as Kara and Beth's take on the USF game, I guess I'm in a minority of those who have posted so far because I didn't find them as obnoxious as others. Though it really irks me when broadcast crews don't announce who a foul is on and that includes them.

Maybe I wasn't so bugged because compared to many of their colleagues, Kara and Beth are knowledgeable and don't often go off on tangents, nor do they show a lot of partisan bias. And they speak clearly.

But it is an interesting commentary on the general nature of human abilities - what exactly makes a Tom Brady a Tom Brady and not a Ryan Fitzpatick? Why are so few college basketball referees really good at what they do, and so many are pedestrian? A great teachers versus a so-so instructor. Etc.

I am married to an avid Green Bay Packer fan and there are a lot of times we prefer to mute the television and listen to the Packer's radio team.

Reaction Score

SHEN: EXACTLY!

Reaction Score
Thanks; very helpful.

This topic reminded me how many people muted Celtic’s games on TV to listen to Johnny Most.

FFM: ahhh...a wonderful and unforgettable voice from the past indeed...AND, what teams, eh??? My all time favs from back in the days when many of the pro teams actually played BASKETBALL.

Reaction Score
Our likes and dislikes of broadcasting crews are a constant thread on the BY. As far as Kara and

I am married to an avid Green Bay Packer fan and there are a lot of times we prefer to mute the television and listen to the Packer's radio team.

CAB: RE the PACK, there is a marvelous book by David Maraniss, "When Pride Still Mattered." Chronicles the life of Lombardi and his teams in great details, with photos, from birth thru 7 blocks of granite on up to his status as a legend. You two , and other fans, might relish this. Aware of it??

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
CAB: RE the PACK, there is a marvelous book by David Maraniss, "When Pride Still Mattered." Chronicles the life of Lombardi and his teams in great details, with photos, from birth thru 7 blocks of granite on up to his status as a legend. You two , and other fans, might relish this. Aware of it??

Win, thanks for the tip! I think I have my bride's next Christmas present already picked out! Her family are season ticket holders. I mean, she has sometimes worn Packer stuff when preaching!

Maraniss wrote one of my all time favorite books - They Marched Into Sunlight. It's a wonderfully woven tale about the worst battle for the US in Vietnam (based on casualty counts), and what was going on back home, particularly the events leading up to the bombing of the math lab at UW-Madison. (He grew up in Madison; his father was editor of one of the daily newspapers.) Great lessons on American culture and politics in 50's and 60's. He interviewed a lot of North Vietnamese and Viet Cong veterans to get their take on the battle. Lot of well known politicians like Jim Doyle and Dick Cheney were on the Madison campus then.

As to Johnny Most - my gosh, I don't usually love homer broadcasters BUT HE WAS SO GOOD AT IT!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Thanks @Scoop. Good information. I'm pleased you like Bobs assessment of the team and games--
I have a minor problem: The deafness that began 10 years ago doesn't allow me to hear TV or Radio. Luckily from 3 ft I can still hear my wife with a hearing aid. AS the man said: it is what it is. In Ct way back when I typically turn off the TV sound and tuned to 1080 AM.

If using "earphones" would help you hear better, try that. plug them in to your cell phone and listen that way using either fullcup ear phones or ear buds. Bob Joyce's pregame show is 10 times better than SNY's pregame show. He gives you facts, interviews with BOTH coaches and starting lineups.

All you from SNY is Kara's opinion and observations. I'd rather hear from the coaches and their take on the the state of their team, and what players are trending at the moment. I like listening to Meghan and Eric. I have not problem with them. I love Meghan, especially her laugh. :D I hope my suggestion works for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Our likes and dislikes of broadcasting crews are a constant thread on the BY. As far as Kara and Beth's take on the USF game, I guess I'm in a minority of those who have posted so far because I didn't find them as obnoxious as others. Though it really irks me when broadcast crews don't announce who a foul is on and that includes them.

Maybe I wasn't so bugged because compared to many of their colleagues, Kara and Beth are knowledgeable and don't often go off on tangents, nor do they show a lot of partisan bias. And they speak clearly.

But it is an interesting commentary on the general nature of human abilities - what exactly makes a Tom Brady a Tom Brady and not a Ryan Fitzpatick? Why are so few college basketball referees really good at what they do, and so many are pedestrian? A great teachers versus a so-so instructor. Etc.

Me either. For those fans that don't have a "Boneyard" to refer to for information on the latest conference or NCAA tournament information, they gave a fair and honest assessment of the latest state of affairs in WCBB. I like Kara and Beth, so I'm a little bias. They can call a game for me anytime.
Keep in mind that there are fans other other programs that watch ESPN broadcasts. I'm sure the announcers are told by their producers to allow for that.

I liked Doris Burke and Dave O'Brien too. Her style was offensive to some, but I had no problem with it. Burke is a very knowledgeable broadcaster, which is why she's doing men's games. She was a point guard at Manasquan High School (New Jersey) and Providence College ('84-'87). She knows the game.
I love Eric and Meghan to death.

Reaction Score
Win, thanks for the tip! I think I have my bride's next Christmas present already picked out! Her family are season ticket holders. I mean, she has sometimes worn Packer stuff when preaching!

Maraniss wrote one of my all time favorite books - They Marched Into Sunlight. It's a wonderfully woven tale about the worst battle for the US in Vietnam (based on casualty counts), and what was going on back home, particularly the events leading up to the bombing of the math lab at UW-Madison. (He grew up in Madison; his father was editor of one of the daily newspapers.) Great lessons on American culture and politics in 50's and 60's. He interviewed a lot of North Vietnamese and Viet Cong veterans to get their take on the battle. Lot of well known politicians like Jim Doyle and Dick Cheney were on the Madison campus then.

As to Johnny Most - my gosh, I don't usually love homer broadcasters BUT HE WAS SO GOOD AT IT!

CAB - glad it was helpful . The Christmas part made me ever more glad. Wow...preaching in Packer gear?? Now THAT is hard core! Also appreciated your Johnny Most comments (a legendary figure himself). and especially the background on Maraniss. Hope your wife enjoys her Xmas.

Reaction Score
I agree with all the complaints. The only thing fans in the stands get is who is coming in & out and who fouled. And yet we are denied these things. Color commentary used to fill timeouts but now we have 3 minute commercials during what used to be 60 sec timeouts and there is no room for color. So they do it over the game.
In addition to the endless commentary that has nothing to do with the game, I have a couple of beefs with the video. Why is it that when there is a stoppage of play and a replay of a questionable call is begging to be shown we have to see a replay of a layup from 2 minutes earlier, along with praise for the scorer. TV producers are in love with the low level shot from behind the basket. And also, why do we have to see a close up shot of every player who scores? I am sick of missing plays so that someone's mother can shout That's my girl!!

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I am an old-ish, (63) lifelong Celtics fan. I have had the pleasure to hear Mike Gorman do the play-by-play for the Celts for the past 37 years. He is the best I have ever heard. Never loses focus on the game, and gives you all the in-game info that is so painfully lacking in the broadcasts we see today. He manages to squeeze in interesting background tidbits as well, but the game ALWAYS comes first.

For a short time he did the Sun games with Rebecca Lobo... I expected him to fumble with the calls out of unfamiliarity with the players, but he clearly did a lot of homework and the combo was truly awesome. I watch local broadcasts all over the W (on LeaguePass) and I can say without question Gorman and Lobo were the best I have ever heard in the W and there's no close 2nd.

I can only guess the powers-that-be want this incessant jabber or they would plop Beth and Kara in front of recordings of these old pros and say "do THAT".

Heinsohn and Gorman:
1551917711224.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom