End of regular season...who to watch | The Boneyard

End of regular season...who to watch

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As the regular season finishes up today or this week and we enter the Conference Tourney’s, I think of what schools are on good run (playing well), what schools are stumbling to the finish line, what schools can right themselves and make a run for the NCAA tourney.

To me, there are 3 known teams who can disrupt UConn’s “flow” and 1 potential team so to see how these 4 perform here is interesting.
#1. ND knows UConn well, has history and is not intimidated. They have suffered a serious spate of injuries this year and Muffet has been masterful in her coaching to have this team #5 in the country. That said, without Brianna Turner, no true point guard, suspect championship defense and no depth, I don’t think we have to worry too much about them this year. In fact, depending who gets put in their region, ND could have trouble getting to the FF. Kudos to MM and next year, they will be formidable.
#2. Miss State beat UConn last year so obviously they have to be a worry. They should be placed in KC region and should have a fairly easy run to the Final Four. Once there, I have only mild concerns on this team. After McCowan, they don’t have size, their defensive presser is not nearly the same as last year and their depth is suspect. I like our matchups with them as Kia will be on Vivians and a much improved Crystal Dangerfield will be on Morgan William. Morgan, btw needs to use the SEC tournament to reassert her leadership. She is not the same player she was this time a year ago. So I think with Gabby fronting Teira and Z and Pheesa guarding/helping, KLS can handle Blair Schaefer who only shoots 3’s, albeit very well but Lou’s size will stifle her.
#3. Texas played UConn extremely close at home and that game was Texas’ best effort by far. I am not sure they can replicate that and their Conference Tourney play is crucial for them. That said, I still see an offensively challenged Longhorn team that we now know their game and will handle them.
#4. Baylor....this team worries me the most and I know many on this board are very dismissive of both teams with large front courts as weak against UConn traditionally and dismissive of Kim Mulkey’s coaching. I postulate this to counter those two trains of thoughts:
This BU team plays together better than past renditions and has very good guard play with Kristy Wallace, a strong post passer in LaurenCox, who btw is playing like the #1 HS prospect from 2016. Brown is having a very good year, but she’s not my worry as much as Cohen, Cox, Landrum, Richards and Wallace. Plus I do think Kim has changed ever so slightly after last years media firestorm and her untimely/inappropriate comments. Despite our typical criticisms of her, she is an excellent coach, has 2 NCs and is a Hall of Fame Coach. Her teams run in the Big12 will tell me how worried I should be. Remember, last year WVa beat them.

After these 4, I hate to say it due to superstition, but no one else worries me. Of course, I probably would have said this exact same thing last year, ignoring MSU, so what to I really know...

Have at it and let us know your thoughts.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think those 4 are the toughest. Louisville is dangerous because of A’ja Durr, but I don’t see other top ten teams like UCLA, Oregon, Florida State, etc. being able to threaten the Huskies.

In regards to Mississippi State, size wise they’re very similar to Connecticut but have a dominant low post presence. They’re not small. They have Vivians who is a big 6-1 with a strong frame who can rebound and defend bigger players. Bibby off the bench is a physical scrappy stretch 4 who has size at 6-2. And McCowan avoids foul trouble and dominates the glass. Realistically she’ll be playing close to a full 40 against UCONN, so UCONN will be playing against 6-7 all night. Today she had another 20/20 game along with 5 blocks. She also is looking a lot more aggressive than she did a few weeks ago against Wilson.

Texas I don’t think I’d a major threat but talent wise they could compete if Holmes comes around and the guards play to their potential. I’ve expressed my opinions about Baylor in several threads but I think they match up poorly against UCONN, and Notre Dame is a big threat as always.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Based solely on recent NCAA Tournament play, I doubt that all of these teams will make the FF or even the Elite Eight. In my opinion, the only time to postulate about what teams to watch would coincide with the Elite 8 games...

Reaction Score
At this point, I don't what team can beat UCONN. Minus injury, UCONN is the clear favorite to get to the final 4, and another championship. While maybe not as interesting, love to hear what other 3 teams folks believe will make the Final 4.

Reaction Score
Not afraid of Baylor. Their pitiful schedule leaves them unprepared for the big stage.

Reaction Score
As last year the only team capable of beating UCONN is, UCONN! They were due all year for a fall and chose the worst time possible in the FF semi's!
Yes MissSt played a great game but especially at the end the Huskies self-destructed, missing inside shots, missing a ton of free throws, and just not playing as well offensively & defensively as they had 99.99% of the season! The players that have carried UCONN so far have to continue to carry UCONN!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueWolf25

Top Bottom