Empty seats at Gampel looked like (gulp) a UConn football game (DiMauro) | The Boneyard

Empty seats at Gampel looked like (gulp) a UConn football game (DiMauro)

Reaction Score
It was very weird. The first game was packed! Second game just weirdly empty. We kept wondering if there was a traffic jam or some reason people weren't getting in.

Reaction Score
Very disappointing but not unexpected. Way too many fans don't go to the games anymore and the new younger fans watch the games on their devices.

pj

Reaction Score
It was disappointing to see that crowd. But I just can't read an article from a guy whose Twitter handle is BCgenius. Is DiMauro that arrogant?

Everyone knows there are no geniuses from BC, so the charitable supposition is that he has a sense of humor.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
DiMauro really hammering on this on Twitter. “If you get outdrawn by BC you have a problem.”

Yeah, it’s not a good look for us, but let’s not forget BC is in the number one perceived basketball conference in the country and they’re located on the outskirts of a world class city with public transportation options leading you right to their campus doorstep. The fact that they don’t draw better is a joke in it’s own right but cut the comparisons when they have all the inherent advantages to drawing better. It’s as if he thinks UConn grads making up the fan base graduate and then settle down in the metropolis of Storrs, CT living five miles from campus.

We have to be better but don’t kill the fan base because for one night a school with those advantages outdrew us. If you want to say we should be better, we should, and leave it at that.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
It was disappointing to see that crowd. But I just can't read an article from a guy whose Twitter handle is BCgenius. Is DiMauro that arrogant?

Yes.

Reaction Score
I didn't read the article but an empty Gampel is not a good look. How many of the empty seats were just no shows ( tickets bought but didn't attend).

Reaction Score
And when a BC fan who was at Conte for the High Point game says those numbers were inflated...

Reaction Score
And when a BC fan who was at Conte for the High Point game says those numbers were inflated...

I figured that. No way BC draws more than 4,000 for a game against High Point. I know kids who go there. Nobody cares about the basketball team. Kids don't talk about it. They just don't care. I'm sure if they ever get very good again like in their heyday they will draw fans again.

MattMang23

Reaction Score

DiMauro is such a homer. Anything to trash UConn, even if he knows it’s a crock.

Reaction Score
...but we are the basketball capital of the world....with the best fans and best student section... I remember those days....

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Were the tickets not part of the season ticket package? This was technically the Charleston Classic On Campus game. I know at times the ticket situation is weird with games like this

Reaction Score
13000 at Rentschler field and the stadium looks empty. 13000 at Gampel and not everyone gets in. Just an observation.

Reaction Score
Were the tickets not part of the season ticket package? This was technically the Charleston Classic On Campus game. I know at times the ticket situation is weird with games like this
They were part of the season ticket plan

Reaction Score
They were part of it. Frankly I was a little shocked at all the emptiness, especially after Sacred Heart.

Reaction Score
Saint Joes is a quality BB opponent. I wouldn’t expect kids to know that but the broader UConn Nation fan base should. Suggests there is more disinterest than meets the eye. The concern should be if you can‘t pull in fans for a decent regional opponent out of philly, what happens when Xavier and the other NBE teams come to town beyond old BE brand names. Some of this gets fixed with winning. Until that happens, though, there are issues. Hurley has to find a way to get this team motivated and playing hard. There is zero excuse for mediocre D efforts.

Reaction Score
Any chance there was a change in venue at some point from XL to Gampel? I saw some conflicting info on this. For example, Kenpom has the game listed @ the XL Center...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom