Empty promises and empty seats: After 15 years, Rentschler Field struggles to match expectations (Putterman) | The Boneyard

Empty promises and empty seats: After 15 years, Rentschler Field struggles to match expectations (Putterman)

Reaction Score
The Courant’s wet dream becomes a reality most reporters tend to support studies such as the infamous Smith College professor. The reality is the state has a history of not folllowing through and finishing the big projects. They do things on the cheap and piecemeal, than wonder why the project fails. Or they become the face of a lawsuit which went nowhere other than boost their career

The only part of this article people should note is Rep Larsen’s comments. Fast forward to his big dig plans for today

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I wonder where the break even point is in building a 30k seat stadium in Storrs vs losing all that money renting the Rent

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The Courant’s wet dream becomes a reality most reporters tend to support studies such as the infamous Smith College professor.

When you can't defend facts, just bang your shoe on the table a lot.

Reaction Score

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ah yes, the unspoken value of UConn vs ECU on CBS Sports Network.

pal is one of those guys who believes each minute on tv is worth $3,891 or some such absurd number

of course if this were true these universities would be worth trillions after all the athletics exposure... but here we are

Reaction Score
While the writer noted that the NCAA Men's Lacrosse Quarterfinals are at the Rent this May 18-19, he missed the fact that the National Championship game is already scheduled here in 2021 and 2022.
NCAA MEN'S LACROSSE
2019 Sites

Championship
Philadelphia, PA
Lincoln Financial Field
May 25 - 27
2020 Sites
Championship
Philadelphia, PA
Lincoln Financial Field
May 23 - 25
2021 Sites
Championship
East Hartford, CT
Rentschler Field
May 29 - 31
2022 Sites
Championship
East Hartford, CT
Rentschler Field
May 28 - 30

Also, it's not like Hartford has a bevy of conveniently located restaurants and shops that would make developing the Rentschler property redundant. Once the Horizon "outlet shopping" project fell through due to the financial constraints of that one developer the site has laid fallow. I'm not sure exactly what the article meant by "the town has limited power to spur development on land owned by Pratt & Whitney" but why wouldn't this be a venue ripe for a well heeled developer to try and make a deal with P&W and/or the town to recreate Patriot Place? Has there been any pursuit of something like that? Is it too farfetched to believe that done right the area could become a draw as a sports, dining. shopping and entertainment destination---and once the stadium was rocking again---the entire atmosphere would become more inviting, not just for UConn football, but for all the other events the CRDA covets for the stadium.

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
bottle of sav blanc, couple of capt nips and a sixer of miller lite.

Well it is a long ride home.

Reaction Score
Ah yes, the unspoken value of UConn vs ECU on CBS Sports Network.
Or UConn vesus Michigan or Baylor and RGIII. Or Landon Donovan's last CAP as a member of the USMNT. Or Women versus Australia in the Tourney iof Nations. Or the Rolling Stones. They all have value. Even UConn versus ECU.

Anyone with a iota of understanding of the value of media would include these in the value of the stadium.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
If you want me to dig up more I can.

Can you also type it out in intelligent sentences that humans can understand?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The state cut corners in building the Rent. It was supposed to be completely chair backed. Footings are in place to support 50K capacity. Ironically, if the state had followed through and spent the necessary money to build a 50K chair backed stadium, it might have helped our ACC cause. Good ol' Connecticut money mismanagement.

Reaction Score
Nothing less than the first salvo in the campaign to de-emphasize FB. I talked to someone from the UConn Foundation a couple nights ago. I was shocked to hear this person say with conviction that UConn was, "NOT a FB school!! We are a BB school!!"

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nothing less than the first salvo in the campaign to de-emphasize FB. I talked to someone from the UConn Foundation a couple nights ago. I was shocked to hear this person say with conviction that UConn was, "NOT a FB school!! We are a BB schools!!"

not to go full chief - but i pointed out the campaign started in the courant like 4-5 years ago and that the voices were going to grow and get loud very quickly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom