Emotional Rescue? Big 12 Decides UConn's Future Monday, And Connecticut Will Feel It (J. Jacobs) | The Boneyard

Emotional Rescue? Big 12 Decides UConn's Future Monday, And Connecticut Will Feel It (J. Jacobs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We build a $90m stadium, etc, and Jeff Jacobs thinks the Big East is possibility?

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Jacobs shows he's more than just snark. (Again.) Good article, and I was surprised he got DB to talk that much so close to D-Day. Maybe he had a Big 12 tailgate flag, too.

Reaction Score
Only way UCONN joins the B12 is if football is included. DB and SH do not want to go down in history as the two people that eviscerated UCONN's football program.

Husky Tilted.jpg

Reaction Score
If it helps basketball. We must protect basketball. Football fans need to understand this.

This is true, and basketball fans need to understand that the end game is staying competetive as an athletic department in order to preserve our basketball legacy and legitimize our football tradition. In my opinion that means pursuing a P5 conference above all else. The American is the best UConn has right now, its a conference full of teams and ADs fighting for P5/P4 legitimacy (look what its done for Houston). No other conference comes close to the number of potential candidates, so joining the BE in bball and jumping ship from the American flushes our P4 conference dreams at the same time. The regression football would take in perception and recruiting playing in the MAC would be the deathnail when/if expansion calls ever came again.

Its clear UConn wants to get P5 status asap, recent developments make it more likely that we remain exactly where we are until the GOR in 2025 is up for the Big12 which may trigger Texas+OU to find new homes and/or the Big10/ACC decide they want to expand. In the meantime UConn needs to improve on the deficiencies we know haunt the football program, while remembering that UConn mens and womens basketball are actually in a good position to weather the storm having built up so much equity with 15 national titles since 1995.

Thats liberating, I can see why you guys post.. Anyway, the ACC has our basketball dreams and football security, but my gut tells me the Big10 is a more stable conference. My question is which would be the wiser choice if UConn had the chance to choose?

Reaction Score
This is true, and basketball fans need to understand that the end game is staying competetive as an athletic department in order to preserve our basketball legacy and legitimize our football tradition. In my opinion that means pursuing a P5 conference above all else. The American is the best UConn has right now, its a conference full of teams and ADs fighting for P5/P4 legitimacy (look what its done for Houston). No other conference comes close to the number of potential candidates, so joining the BE in bball and jumping ship from the American flushes our P4 conference dreams at the same time. The regression football would take in perception and recruiting playing in the MAC would be the deathnail when/if expansion calls ever came again.

Its clear UConn wants to get P5 status asap, recent developments make it more likely that we remain exactly where we are until the GOR in 2025 is up for the Big12 which may trigger Texas+OU to find new homes and/or the Big10/ACC decide they want to expand. In the meantime UConn needs to improve on the deficiencies we know haunt the football program, while remembering that UConn mens and womens basketball are actually in a good position to weather the storm having built up so much equity with 15 national titles since 1995.

Thats liberating, I can see why you guys post.. Anyway, the ACC has our basketball dreams and football security, but my gut tells me the Big10 is a more stable conference. My question is which would be the wiser choice if UConn had the chance to choose?

First come, first served

Reaction Score
I think Hathaway and PP have that title locked up already.
The difference is both those guys didn't have a clue what they did. DB and SH know full well what will happen. Also if that did happen I don't think either Geno or Kevin could ever look Diaco in the face again, unless they both publicly came out against the move.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
"I feel the weight of our history and tradition and our fan base and how badly everybody wants to be able to compete at that [Power Five] level," Benedict said. "I feel the weight of the financial impact that it would have on our institution.
The above quote from Benedict is what really stuck out to me. At the very least, even if there is bad news coming regarding Big 12 expansion, we can rest assured that our new AD genuinely understands and personally feels the gravity and magnitude of the situation at hand. In the past we have always gotten ambiguous, gray area quotes and comments from our administration regarding this subject, but this is at least somewhat comforting to see that the man in charge sees what we on this board see. Good luck Benedict, you're gonna need it, but you have my full support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom