Emmitt Matthew Jr. scores 30 | The Boneyard

Emmitt Matthew Jr. scores 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'm excited for this kid... He has some skills and far more athleticism than what was initially let on. I also really dig that we beat out West Virginia and Wichita St for him. I know it's sad, in retrospect, to rationalize it this way but those teams generally recruit a certain "type" of player who is underrated, tough, skilled, etc. Far cry from beating out the "blue bloods" of the past, but this is the type of player we need to lock up to build something.

Reaction Score
Highlights of him from his first game (scored 22 points)

Reaction Score
Highlights from Emmitt's first few games

I don't mind rap, but do I sound like an old man complaining if I request that they choose a song that could be played without having to chop it up so it sounds like it's buffering on a bad internet connection?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I'm excited for this kid... He has some skills and far more athleticism than what was initially let on. I also really dig that we beat out West Virginia and Wichita St for him. I know it's sad, in retrospect, to rationalize it this way but those teams generally recruit a certain "type" of player who is underrated, tough, skilled, etc. Far cry from beating out the "blue bloods" of the past, but this is the type of player we need to lock up to build something.

It's funny, I read that and it sounds like how we used to recruit. Throw in a bunch of long bigs like Whaley (Boone, Hilton, Marcus White etc.) and you can kinda see what the formula was.

And then sometimes you get lucky and those guys who weren't the 5 star blue chippers turn into a Ben Gordon, or a Meka or a Bazz.

Reaction Score
Yo, can someone answer the question of what the competition level is? Thank you in advance.............T

Reaction Score
It's funny, I read that and it sounds like how we used to recruit. Throw in a bunch of long bigs like Whaley (Boone, Hilton, Marcus White etc.) and you can kinda see what the formula was.

And then sometimes you get lucky and those guys who weren't the 5 star blue chippers turn into a Ben Gordon, or a Meka or a Bazz.

I think this is a little different. Boone and Marcus White were consensus 4 star players Josh picked us over Kansas and White was a well-regarded prospect. We'd kill to get either one of them right now. Our recruiting in the past was always based on getting a bunch of solid "four star" guys and one big fish. Matthews is an under the radar type.

1999 --> Freeman, Jake, Mouring, Ricky, Edmund, Rash, Antric were 4 star recruits; Rip and KEA were studs.
2004 --> Emeka, Ben, Denham, Rashad, Josh, Marcus Williams, Marcus White, Ed Nelson were 4 star recruits; Charlie V and Taliek were studs.
2011 --> JLamb, Roscoe, Jamal Coombs-McDaniel, Bazz were 4 star recruits; Kemba and AO were studs.
2014 --> Boat, Bazz, Facey were 4 star recruits; Deandre was a stud.

Hilton is our ultimate project success story; he's not anywhere near the norm.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Are we recruiting his teammate with the red shoes too with a decent stroke , packaged deal

Reaction Score
I don't mind rap, but do I sound like an old man complaining if I request that they choose a song that could be played without having to chop it up so it sounds like it's buffering on a bad internet connection?
You got mute right

Reaction Score
Highlights from Emmitt's first few games

Watch the ceiling at the 2 minute mark and you'll know why he chose UConn.

I can see they are playing smaller teams and less talented thys far but there's a lot to like about the kids highlights, even though they are just that. That stroke is exactly what we need and he seems to be a scorer with come creativity. And we know it's great to be lefty because teams forget you are and guard you on the wrong side a lot. LOL, we do that too much ourselves.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I think this is a little different. Boone and Marcus White were consensus 4 star players Josh picked us over Kansas and White was a well-regarded prospect. We'd kill to get either one of them right now. Our recruiting in the past was always based on getting a bunch of solid "four star" guys and one big fish. Matthews is an under the radar type.

1999 --> Freeman, Jake, Mouring, Ricky, Edmund, Rash, Antric were 4 star recruits; Rip and KEA were studs.
2004 --> Emeka, Ben, Denham, Rashad, Josh, Marcus Williams, Marcus White, Ed Nelson were 4 star recruits; Charlie V and Taliek were studs.
2011 --> JLamb, Roscoe, Jamal Coombs-McDaniel, Bazz were 4 star recruits; Kemba and AO were studs.
2014 --> Boat, Bazz, Facey were 4 star recruits; Deandre was a stud.

Hilton is our ultimate project success story; he's not anywhere near the norm.

Would you happen to recall other three stars during Calhoun era who were solid contributors?

C

Chief00

Yo, can someone answer the question of what the competition level is? Thank you in advance...T

Chief will field that since it’s all Blaze strategy related. Generally, his HS league competition isn’t very good except for some tournaments.
The other thing I will add, you are either a shooter or you are not. He is. It’s all part of the Blaze strategy - you need shooters to score and win. When you hit some open shots, you don’t get discourage - it’s difficult doing all that UConn tough on Defense for 40 minutes or even for the clock on a possession, if you don’t hit shots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Chief will field that since it’s all Blaze strategy related. Generally, his HS league competition isn’t very good except for some tournaments, however his AAU team is the Oakland Soldiers - they are tough.
The other thing I will add, you are either a shooter or you are not. He is. It’s all part of the Blaze strategy - you need shooters to score and win. When you hit some open shots, you don’t get discourage - it’s difficult doing all that UConn tough on Defense for 40 minutes or even for the clock on a possession, if you don’t hit shots.
Yes, you’re either a shooter or you’re not. However, the competition and defense matters too. It’s one thing to be a shooter over smaller slower zone defense then it is against lengthy athletes who can out run and out jump you. If he’s an athlete that can do that then we have a diamond in the rough being overlooked because of his prep school league. If he’s not an elite athlete then shame on our staff for bringing him in. I guess we will see.

Reaction Score
Chief will field that since it’s all Blaze strategy related. Generally, his HS league competition isn’t very good except for some tournaments, however his AAU team is the Oakland Soldiers - they are tough.
Hey Chief00, I think Akinjo's AAU team is Oakland. I was wondering about Matthew's level of competition.

pj

Reaction Score
Hey Chief00, I think Akinjo's AAU team is Oakland. I was wondering about Matthew's level of competition.

Matthews played on Washington Supreme for AAU. Schedule and stats on the UnderArmour circuit here: UAA. The team went 6-9 but Emmit was #1 in minutes (26 mpg), #1 in points (13.9 ppg), #1 in rebounds (5.5 rpg), shot 85% on free throws, 36% on threes, 47% overall.

C

Chief00

I screwed up - thanks for correcting the record. Both these West Coast Ballers met the rigorous Blaze standard and profile.

Reaction Score
Matthews played on Washington Supreme for AAU. Schedule and stats on the UnderArmour circuit here: UAA. The team went 6-9 but Emmit was #1 in minutes (26 mpg), #1 in points (13.9 ppg), #1 in rebounds (5.5 rpg), shot 85% on free throws, 36% on threes, 47% overall.
Thanks for hooking me up with that information pj. Much obliged sir.
So maybe he is a good player on a lesser team. Not every parent is completely crazy; they may well wish to keep Emmitt nearer to home. Another possible reason that he is under the radar maybe. A player Chillious has had his eye on for a few years I would think. Those stats look pretty good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom