Eligibility | The Boneyard

Eligibility

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if RJ Cole and Tyrese Martin have an extra year left?

I know theyre both Seniors but wasnt sure if NCAA left the window open for them to return next year.

Is this definitely their last year?

Reaction Score

I know theyre both Seniors but wasnt sure if NCAA left the window open for them to return next year.

They both have an extra year left.

Reaction Score

Every player in NCAA D1 basketball that played last year gets an "extra year" because last season did not count toward their eligibility. The only wrinkle for next year is that every player will use up a scholarship, unlike this year, where, for example, Squirrel and Polley are not taking up one of UConn's 13 allowed scholarships.

Reaction Score
prediction: cole comes back and we replace martin w/ a grad transfer.

Reaction Score
I don't think grad transfers are in the plans for this staff at all, especially with the way they are recruiting now.
that would be a shame....we dont need another freshmen in '22 (who's even left?) or reclass, we need someone who will help us get to the final 4 while also preserving our ability to reload in '23 with at least 4 freshmen including castle. a 1 year grad transfer is a win-win.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
that would be a shame....we dont need another freshmen in '23 we need someone who will help us get to the final 4 while also preserving our ability to reload in '24 with at least 4 freshmen including castle. a 1 year grad transfer is a win-win.
Karaban will be ready to contribute day 1. Especially if he is enrolling next semester. Don't forget about Floyd either.

Reaction Score
I don't think grad transfers are in the plans for this staff at all, especially with the way they are recruiting now.
It's pretty clear Hurley values continuity over going that route and the chances of getting a grad transfer who could break into our starting 5 or even being a major part of the rotation is slim. The team is loaded now and will most likely be more loaded next season.

Reaction Score
Karaban will be ready to contribute day 1. Especially if he is enrolling next semester. Don't forget about Floyd either.
even so, no one in the 2nd string will have been a significant contributor at the college level. lots of unknowns for a chip level team to rely on:

Cole, Digg
Hawk, Floyd
Jackson, Karaban
Akok, Samson
Sanogo, Clingan

B- Gaff, Springs

It's pretty clear Hurley values continuity over going that route and the chances of getting a grad transfer who could break into our starting 5 or even being a major part of the rotation is slim. The team is loaded now and will most likely be more loaded next season.
landing a a guy like bryce aiken isn't hard to imagine and such a guy would easily play himself into the rotation. he'd certainly have been the answer to our prayers this year. if we are preseason top 10 someone will want to come compete for a chip here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
even if the young guns are that good, no one in the 2nd string will have been a significant contributor at the college level. lots of unknowns:

Cole, Digg
Hawk, Floyd
Jackson, Karaban
Akok, Samson
Sanogo, Clingan
That looks like a very good roster to me. Key will be Diggins panning out because there is no denying we need a second ball handler to step up.

Reaction Score
even if the young guns are that good, no one in the 2nd string will have been a significant contributor at the college level. lots of unknowns:

Cole, Digg
Hawk, Floyd
Jackson, Karaban
Akok, Samson
Sanogo, Clingan

B- Gaff, Springs

landing a a guy like bryce aiken isn't hard to imagine and such a guy would easily play himself into the rotation. if we are preseason top 10 someone will want to come compete for a chip here.
Aiken can't even stay on the court. Not sure a 5'10 high volume injury prone shooting guard gets any burn on the team next season.

It would be surprising if Samson isn't starting next year and.

Reaction Score
Aiken can't even stay on the court. Not sure a 5'10 high volume injury prone shooting guard gets any burn on the team next season.
i said "like" you don't need to take the example so literally as if his clone is the only possibility. there are plenty of other grad transfers out there contributing to their teams if aiken is not the perfect example for you.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Every player in NCAA D1 basketball that played last year gets an "extra year" because last season did not count toward their eligibility. The only wrinkle for next year is that every player will use up a scholarship, unlike this year, where, for example, Squirrel and Polley are not taking up one of UConn's 13 allowed scholarships.
Except Vance Jackson. He gets 3 more years

UcannUconn

Too many Indians and not enough Chiefs
Reaction Score

It would be surprising if Samson isn't starting next year and.
I'd like to see the pterodactyl get some run these next couple games against week opposition with Akok struggling.

Reaction Score
i said "like" you don't need to take the comparison so literally.
Top grad transfers want to go somewhere to start, Duke and Kentucky are exceptions. I don't really think there will be anyone out there who sees that in UConn. I also don't think Hurley is too keen on going that route when we're already loaded, have some #50 recruits sitting on the bench and are bringing in top 50 recruits.

Reaction Score
Cole's been in school for five years. I don't see him coming back
i think you're in the minority there. cole's opinion is the only one that matters but in mine

winning a national championship >>>> playing overseas 1 year sooner

Reaction Score
i think you're in the minority there. cole's opinion is the only one that matters but in mine

winning a national championship >>>> playing overseas 1 year sooner
Plus isn't he in his first year of a masters degree now? Masters degrees are 2 years so maybe he values getting the masters degree for free over an extra year of getting paid overseas. I don't know what he would make overseas but I don't think it would be a lot. $150,000 or so?

I do wonder if the coaches have an idea what he wants to do at this point or did they just table it until the end of the season? The coaches do need to know how many scholarships they have for next year.

Reaction Score
Plus isn't he in his first year of a masters degree now? Masters degrees are 2 years so maybe he values getting the masters degree for free over an extra year of getting paid overseas. I don't know what he would make overseas but I don't think it would be a lot. $150,000 or so?

I do wonder if the coaches have an idea what he wants to do at this point or did they just table it until the end of the season? The coaches do need to know how many scholarships they have for next year.
There were definitely some comments from Hurley over the summer that implied Cole could be coming back. I'd imagine he has a general feeling since it'll affect 2022 recruiting a ton. I can't find the Hurley comments now, this is all I could find

2022 Recruiting: - Alex Karaban

Reaction Score
I also don't think Hurley is too keen on going that route when we're already loaded, have some #50 recruits sitting on the bench and are bringing in top 50 recruits.
If he were to do that then you might see some transfering out. I agree he won't do that.

Reaction Score
Key will be Diggins panning out because there is no denying we need a second ball handler to step up.
agreed. if hurley plans on replacing martin w/ a frosh instead of a mercenary, then starting against UMES i want digg taking most of gaff's minutes, hawk taking most of polley's minutes, and samson taking at least 10 mpg from whaley and martin (it's important that akok still gets his PT though).

otherwise next year we will not be chip level w/ such an inexperienced bench. i will gladly sacrifice some wins and a seed line or two in the dance this season in order to give the freshmen the experience they need to contribute next year to a final 4 run. 1 final 4 > 2 sweet 16s.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why is the assumption we lose Tyrese?
I mean, he could theoretical get legit scout looks if he continues his rate of play, but otherwise...he is the one we need to get to come back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cutthacheck

Top Bottom