Either WVU Are Stupid, Or Resigned To Staying Another Year | The Boneyard

Either WVU Are Stupid, Or Resigned To Staying Another Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can they be both?

They are living proof that sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
What does it say? Twitter's being blocked.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I just love that one guy's response: short of military action, WVU won't be playing in the BE next year (or something to that effect) Really? Then where will they be playing?

Reaction Score
I just love that one guy's response: short of military action, WVU won't be playing in the BE next year (or something to that effect) Really? Then where will they be playing?

In the Big 12?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The RI court denied WV''s motion to dismiss the BE suit today. I assume WV can join the B12 and face the damages, but I don't know how keen the B12 would be with that plan.

Reaction Score
The RI court denied WV''s motion to dismiss the BE suit today. I assume WV can join the B12 and face the damages, but I don't know how keen the B12 would be with that plan.

If the BE gets its preliminary (and eventually permanent) injunction, WV can't join unless they and the B12 want to be in contempt of court.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If the BE gets its preliminary (and eventually permanent) injunction, WV can't join unless they and the B12 want to be in contempt of court.
Yep, I am assuming no injunction, just a breaking of the contract. I dont think the b12 would want any potential exposure if wv leaves without settling all litigation.

Reaction Score
1. There is no reason to doubt that an injunction will issue in this case.

2. That having been said, WVU has already told the WV court that they need to have the exit provisions of the Big East's by-laws held void so they can join the Big East next year. If they join the Big EAst without the declaratory judgment, which they won't get, they look to the courts like they are willing to lie to the courts to get what they want.

Barring a monetary settlement, WVU is playing in the Big East next year, and no one in the administration in Morgantown on the Big XII believes WVU will win this suit. They just want to blame the courts, and not themselves, if ESPN cuts their per capita TV take next year.

The 'Scumineers are stuck with us for a while yet.

Reaction Score
I think BL is correct. Even the hometown court didn't fall over itself to bail the Smuckies out. Which leads me to think that there is very little chance they will win even in their own state court. While I don't think WVU faces its worst nightmare still (i.e. being out of the Big East but replaced by someone else in the B-12, thus effectively being left as an independent), I do think that that they run the risk of having the B-12 look to them to make up some of the losses they are going to sustain. I doubt that all the losses can be made up in any reasonable amount of time, but I could see their admission fee being increased substantially and their annual take reduced for the next several years. For the life of me, I don't get how or why they expected to get out of the Big East in time for the 2012 season, or how they B-12 thought they would do it.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
With BL here. No way they're out next year. Sorry, Mounties

Reaction Score
Here's an interesting read from an interview with the chancellor and AD from U of Missouri frm about 2 weeks ago.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...-Fgwq1ttHujYbQA17eFy50saiN88gh&hl=en_US&pli=1

The big east around football has been dysfunctional since it's inception in 1991. The problem all along has not been incompetent leadership, but leadership that didn't really care to put football to the forefront. In the late 1980's and early 1990s, it was ok to do that. Division 1-A football was just transitioning out of a time when there were many independants in the country, and the BCS bowl system was non-existent.

Times have changed, dramatically in 20 years. My true hope is that the guys over there in Providence, have come to the realization, that if the big east basketball conference....their baby, their pride and joy....is to continue to be the most powerful basketball conference in the land, then they had better put some serious effort behind the football conference too.

When you look at what the Big 12 conference is all about, and how they conduct business, you've got a whole different look on conference leadership, and makes you wonder how these conference leaders actually get their jobs, the business is so sloppy.

The ACC isn't much better for conference leadership. THe big 12 has got an even bigger albatross to deal with in Texas, funded by ESPN, than the big east has with Notre Dame and NBC. Notre Dame is highly interested in the survival of the big east conference in all sports, and therefore NBC most likely is too. Texas doesn't really give a about the big 12, and ESPN? They're the ones that own Texas withe Longhorn network, and as for conferences, they certianly seem to be most concerned about the survival of the ACC, when it comes to conferences, as it's the only one of the big 6 that they've got complete control of right now ase the Pac dozen and the AAU conference have their own broadcasting platforms.

Anyway, the scheduling mess that exists right now between the Big EAst conference and the Big 12 conference is really something unprecedented. I can't recall anything ever happening like this.

It's entirely possible that the big 12 and big east will come out with 2012 football schedules in the next few weeks that both have West Virginia scheduled. It's not been ruled on yet as far as I know, but once the injunction is ruled on, and I can't see how WVU would be allowed to leave the big east, if WVU does not honor the big east committment, they'll be in direct violation of court order, and I'm not sure how something like that would be handled on this scale legally, but I'm pretty sure that once something like that happens, you've gone from a civil court matter, to a criminal one.

The big 12 is screwed.

Always follow the money.

Reaction Score
That scheduling mess, doesn't just apply to football. I'm not sure how many varsity sports West Virginia competes in division 1, but they're all affected. I thought what the AD at Boston College did speaking to the media was dumb a few months ago, but what the AD at West Virginia has done with his athletic department is incredibly dumb.

Marinatto is a trustworthy guy, and a guy of his word, though, and that's probably the only saving grace that West Virginia athletics has right now. A more cut throat leader, and West Virginia athletics might very well get set back to such a degree that they might never recover by getting ejected from teh big east conference and forced to be unable to join another conferenced until 2014.

Can you imagine a state university, division 1-A, not having a conference to schedule any sports for 2 whole years? Not collecting any broadcasting revenue? No post season tournaments? Having to pay millions and millions in debt for legal expenses? SMU got the death penalty in football 25 years ago or so, and took forever to recover. That was football only, this is like death penalty to the entire athletic department for two years.

I'd be scared tless if I had anything to do with WVU.

Ugh.

Reaction Score
OT - Pac 12 and Big 10(12) conference have agreed to interconference scheduling of teams starting in 2016. Twelve games a year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Businesslawyer says: "No one in the administration in Morgantown on the Big XII believes WVU will win this suit. They just want to blame the courts, and not themselves, if ESPN cuts their per capita TV take next year."

What do you base this on BL, just the weakness of their filings? I'd guess that they believe (hope/pray) that a monetary settlement will happen and that the BE is just posturing.

If the injunction issues, do have any sense of what the sanctions would be if WVU ignores it? Do you jail the President and the AD? I'm just that anything short of that would be effective.

Reaction Score
OT - Pac 12 and Big 10(12) conference have agreed to interconference scheduling of teams starting in 2016. Twelve games a year.
So does that mean that the B-10 and PAC 12 will only play each other out of conference? Or does it mean they will play 12 games per year as in every B-10 team will play a PAC team each season?

Reaction Score
So does that mean that the B-10 and PAC 12 will only play each other out of conference? Or does it mean they will play 12 games per year as in every B-10 team will play a PAC team each season?

Just posted article from NYT on this on the football page. Big news, each conference team will only play one cross conference game per year, in September. But it extends to all sports, both conferences are going to schedule each other for basketball adn all other sports, and they're potentially looking at setting up their own bowl game and post season events to be broadcast on each other's networks.

Reaction Score
Businesslawyer says: "No one in the administration in Morgantown on the Big XII believes WVU will win this suit. They just want to blame the courts, and not themselves, if ESPN cuts their per capita TV take next year."

What do you base this on BL, just the weakness of their filings? I'd guess that they believe (hope/pray) that a monetary settlement will happen and that the BE is just posturing.

If the injunction issues, do have any sense of what the sanctions would be if WVU ignores it? Do you jail the President and the AD? I'm just that anything short of that would be effective.

It's a good question, the second part. I have no idea. It's possible that a court ordered injunction would not be issued, and in that case, WVU schedules and competes in the big 12 in 2012. I highly doubt that will happen - no injunction - but it's possible. I'd expect that as soon as jurisdiction is settled, the injunction will be ruled on, and I haven't spoken with or read anythign from anyone that makes me think a judge would not agree to the injunction.

So - assuming the injunction is put in place, and WVU does indeed go ahead and continue to schedule and then actually compete in the big 12 in 2012, adn not rescind on the schedules already in place for the big east?

Ballsy. Stupid ballsy. There would have to be some sort of legal recourse to be taken against WVU in that case, but I have no idea what it would be. It might very well be jailing the president, BOTs, and AD and freezing all assets of the university.

Reaction Score

1. Yes, the weakness of their filings. Nothing that they've written shows me that they expect to win. They were more concerned about posturing through the media for their fanbases.

2. If you ignore an injunction? Honestly, I don't know what happens. But national companies (broadcasters, networks, advertisers) that operate in fifty states aren't going to help someone ignore a court order in a state in which they do business. Nor is a University President, who presides over a university greater than a football team, going to ignore a valid injunction. You just make things worse.

Reaction Score
A University is not going to ignore a court order. Once that happens, the system pretty much collapses.It would be possible that West virginia's President or its Chairman of the Board or possibly others wuld be held in contempt and face significant fines even jailtime as individuals, but I have no idea if that would actually happen. I think if an injunction is issued, WVU will moan and groan but comply while trying to negotiate an out for 2013.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
BL brings up a great point here.

The WVU fans have played the "they can't make us play there, we'll just go to the Big 12 games and play those teams!" card. You think Fox/ESPN are going to televise a game involving WVU that would make them party to a massive lawsuit? Or that all the Big 12 teams are going to open themselves up to litigation as well? Hell no.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
BL brings up a great point here.

The WVU fans have played the "they can't make us play there, we'll just go to the Big 12 games and play those teams!" card. You think Fox/ESPN are going to televise a game involving WVU that would make them party to a massive lawsuit? Or that all the Big 12 teams are going to open themselves up to litigation as well? Hell no.
I'm not sure that broadcasting the game would make a network have much risk at all, especially if they already have a contract with the Big 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom