Edsall's Salary Embarrassingly Low | The Boneyard

Edsall's Salary Embarrassingly Low

Reaction Score
USA TODAY Sports

I understand the circumstances of his return and the buyout of BD being a factor but he's 78th on the list. The fact that Charlie Strong is at 77 with the same $1M is also a bad sign for the AAC. ( Of course his Texas buyout was lucrative enough for him to accept the low USF offer.) If the Husky turnaround continues and the fans return Edsall needs a big raise.

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
USA TODAY Sports

I understand the circumstances of his return and the buyout of BD being a factor but he's 78th on the list. The fact that Charlie Strong is at 77 with the same $1M is also a bad sign for the AAC. ( Of course his Texas buyout was lucrative enough for him to accept the low USF offer.) If the Husky turnaround continues and the fans return Edsall needs a big raise.

On the list of things that matter to me, our national perception because of Edsall salary is about at the bottom.

Winning is more important to perception.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
USA TODAY Sports

But this is hardly a surprise, right? Dont have the TV money and that is not changing anytime soon.

Reaction Score
Let's be honest here - both Strong and Edsall failed at their prior posts. So they deserved pay cuts from what they were making.

I'm certain that both Strong and Edsall will be rewarded as appropriate based on results.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The AAC is never going to be anything other than what it is now. Love it or leave it. It is what it is.

Reaction Score
USA TODAY Sports

I don't understand this at all. Edsall was obviously fine with the offer, because he jumped on it. My guess is what he got from Maryland when he was dismissed, plus what he saved while there, this job gets him what he wants to retirement. And from the UConn side, who ever complains that they are underpaying an employee. I've never even thought of doing that.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Edsall's salary isn't reflective of what we can afford. He consciously did the school a favor to rid us of BD and so that we could afford to bring in a good staff. It's not like there was a huge market for RE as a head coach in college football, either. He wouldn't be making more than $1 mil anywhere, so why pay more than the market value? Just so we can say we pay our head coach a lot?

As an aside, SMU is a decent team, but kind of bananas that Chad Morris is making that kind of money

Reaction Score
No, its not the most important issue of the day but I don't like UConn showing up at the bottom of the AAC when any lists are published, be they wins, points scored, defensive ranking, attendance --or coach's salaries. Call me crazy but perception is reality. and we need all the help we can muster.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm with the others on the board. The reasons for the low salary obviously were:

1) Get rid of Diaco
2) Afford high-quality coordinators / support staff
3) Give "hometown discount" to reingratiate himself with the fanbase who likely still felt scorned 6 years after his departure

UConn fans aren't embarrassed by the discount. They are thankful for it and thankful for the fact that the adults are in charge again. And we're thankful that Dave Benedict had the courage to make that call, which was far from being an easy call to make...

Reaction Score
No, its not the most important issue of the day but I don't like UConn showing up at the bottom of the AAC when any lists are published, be they wins, points scored, defensive ranking, attendance --or coach's salaries. Call me crazy but perception is reality. and we need all the help we can muster.

What a weird thing to be worried about. The only reason you pay people more money is so they don't leave chasing green. I'd imagine those days are behind him. Doesn't he also have a ton of incentives built into his contract?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
In a vacuum, what would you pay a head coach with a 77-74 overall record, 73-67 D1A, and 3-4 in bowl games?

I think a cool mil is right around the sweet spot.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Weren't the contract details released like 11 months ago? This is newsworthy...how?

Reaction Score
I love Edsall even more now. I suspect he'll be getting a raise very soon.

Reaction Score
I love Edsall even more now. I suspect he'll be getting a raise very soon.
I love the commitment Edsall 2.0 has shown to the school with the $$$ (or lack of) he's getting... a humble act on his part. Will pay off for him later... I think he realizes nobody will pay to watch a loser. You bring back the pride to win, and then start winning, the masses will come back which equals more financial support for the program.

Reaction Score
I think we should worry about having an offensive line first. Randy willingly took his pay rate.

Reaction Score
AD revenues have declined every year since 2011. Football spends twice of what it makes. 48.9% of the UConn AD budget is financed by student fees or university subsidy. Surely we can spare some more.

Reaction Score
"I think it takes someone who is willing to believe in themselves," Benedict said Wednesday. "Randy and I had a conversation about where we were. Certainly he understands that we're in a difficult financial situation. I don't think that's a secret to anybody. We have to be responsible as it relates to the contracts we put together. There's a level of compensation that is necessary. But to earn more, it should be performance-based. I found someone in Randy who appreciated that and understood our situation at UConn, financially, as well as the appreciation for having to earn additional compensation. And, listen, I hope he earns all of his bonuses. That means that we'll be achieving a lot of things that will make a lot of people happy. Everyone wins in this type of contract if we're successful."

Incentives built into the contract, and to be determined annually by Benedict, can increase Edsall's salary by a maximum of $100,000. Also, Edsall will receive a retention bonus of $300,000 if he remains the coach through Dec. 1, 2019, and another $200,000 if he remains through Dec. 1, 2021.

"We were basically on the same page," Edsall said of negotiations. "I had a lot of success and have great memories [at UConn]. But we all should be paid based on our achievements. Really, that's what it's about. It's about working as a team. It should be equitable and fair to both parties. I know that this contract reveals that."

Breaking Down Randy Edsall's Incentive-Heavy Contract At UConn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom