Edsall | The Boneyard

Edsall

Reaction Score
From my perspective about 50% of college football fans want their football coach fired every week. I think programs can and do harm themselves pulling the trigger too early and often on coaching changes.

I am also an Edsall fan. Do I think he's Vince Lombardi? No. But, he took this program the first time and put it on the map and he did it by building a system that worked for UCONN. He clearly tolerates no bs, but his kids the first time around respected him. I think he showed the ultimate in class dealing with Jaz's death. And yes, the way he left stunk, but he came back and apologized. Evidently some on this board have never done something they regret.

That all said...........he and UCONN probably need to move on after this season. He was left a mess and I don't think Diaco had a clue as to what he was doing on the recruiting trail, but it just did not have to get this bad. I'm also wondering if he has lost his ability to connect with the kids. I just don't see the effort. You can be a good and capable person and be in the wrong situation at the wrong time. Might be best for all if something new is tried.

What an awful mess.

Reaction Score
From my perspective about 50% of college football fans want their football coach fired every week. I think programs can and do harm themselves pulling the trigger too early and often on coaching changes.

I am also an Edsall fan. Do I think he's Vince Lombardi? No. But, he took this program the first time and put it on the map and he did it by building a system that worked for UCONN. He clearly tolerates no bs, but his kids the first time around respected him. I think he showed the ultimate in class dealing with Jaz's death. And yes, the way he left stunk, but he came back and apologized. Evidently some on this board have never done something they regret.

That all said......he and UCONN probably need to move on after this season. He was left a mess and I don't think Diaco had a clue as to what he was doing on the recruiting trail, but it just did not have to get this bad. I'm also wondering if he has lost his ability to connect with the kids. I just don't see the effort. You can be a good and capable person and be in the wrong situation at the wrong time. Might be best for all if something new is tried.

What an awful mess.
Agreed. I thought the upswing was coming. Knowing Edsall was coming back was like a breathe of fresh air. Some of these games this year were we needed to be aggressive we weren’t. Is it because our talent is lacking or is the coaching not a good fit for this team? It stinks but we do need something fresh to happen at UConn. If the school does agree to part ways with Edsall. They will need to be smart about it and start making a list of potential HC’s. It’s going to be slim but I know there is a coach out there that can turn this dumpster fire around.

Reaction Score
Plus the other two hires were really bad choices that really contributed to this bleeding mess

Yes, both were awful. P duck*** the culture and then Bobby D duck*** the talent. I truly believe that Edsall is taking the athleticism up, but we're still god awful slow. I honestly think that Diaco was totally inept at assessing and developing talent.

Reaction Score
At some point we have to attribute some of what we are seeing to Edsall as well. Is this team today as talented as the one he had in his 1st year back? I don't think so. Edsall has joined P and Diaco on the empty cupboard train. These years have taught me one thing. If a coach busts that one out, he's gonna fail. Go out and try to win as many games as possible with the players you have. All the talk of culture and foundations is noise.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
They are worse, way worse, than when he took over as 2.0. Worst FBS program in CFB. No improvement.

Reaction Score
Go out and try to win as many games as possible with the players you have. All the talk of culture and foundations is noise.
Got the ultimate point in all this right here bro.. If you play the game to win, and you show on the field that you can't, why try?
For some reason, I convince myself to watch each game this year expecting that "the light turns on" ... not even a flicker fellas.. well, maybe a little in the 1st quarter (a first down here and there), but the reality is this team, for the most part, looks like a bunch of lost puppies... That ain't the kind of football I'm used to seeing from us...

Reaction Score

That all said......he and UCONN probably need to move on after this season. He was left a mess and I don't think Diaco had a clue as to what he was doing on the recruiting trail, but it just did not have to get this bad. I'm also wondering if he has lost his ability to connect with the kids. I just don't see the effort. You can be a good and capable person and be in the wrong situation at the wrong time. Might be best for all if something new is tried.

What an awful mess.
It’s not all on Edsall, but the buck stops with him, so to speak. The AD should bear some of the responsibility for leaving him a 4 game schedule for next year.

Reaction Score
I decided to look at some numbers to see if my dislike for randy made him seem worse than he actually was.

Adding up numbers from
'11-13 (PP/TJW)
'14-16 (Diaco)
'17-19 (RE 2 ['19 extrapolated for 12 game season])

11-13
Record: 13-23
Points +/- -142

14-16
Record: 11-26
+/- -196

17-19
Record: 6-30
(assumes 2-10 in 19)
+/- -795 (over 12 games, last 6 equal to first 6)

Im sure someone will tell me why none of this matters, but the numbers are jarring, especially when compared to the other clowns we've had here.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Playing kids who should be redshirted or not on the field will yield results that we are seeing. If next year, these same kids are putting up the same results, then he probably needs to go. We have 1 RS senior. We need 10- 15 RS seniors to be competitive. What we are seeing is expected - it sucks but under the constraints RE is working under, there isn't much of a choice.

Do I wish he took more grad transfers? Yes- but that is short term thinking in a long term project. I get it, it sucks, but there is talent that is still developing.

Reaction Score
Playing kids who should be redshirted or not on the field will yield results that we are seeing. If next year, these same kids are putting up the same results, then he probably needs to go. We have 1 RS senior. We need 10- 15 RS seniors to be competitive. What we are seeing is expected - it sucks but under the constraints RE is working under, there isn't much of a choice.

Do I wish he took more grad transfers? Yes- but that is short term thinking in a long term project. I get it, it sucks, but there is talent that is still developing.
I believe Jackson Mitchell had the most tackles Saturday. He shouldn’t be playing this year. Hopefully experience will make them better.

Reaction Score

What an awful mess.
Guess HCREDreamJob1.0 was the wrong situation at the wrong time too. Man, its strange how wrong situations keep following some guys.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
His support for simple things like paying assistants was ignored and he even used his own money to help this situation out. The school the last 8 years or so has been on cruise control when it comes to football which we know was a mistake.

Reaction Score

Tulane is building just fine with short term thinking. While Edsall chases JUCOs and high school kids from the Canadian tundra, they are pulling in 3 and 4* transfers sitting 2 and 3 deep on the pine at big programs. That’s why we were totally obliterated by speed, athleticism and sheer talent overmatch.

Reaction Score
Tulane is building just fine with short term thinking. While Edsall chases JUCOs and high school kids from the Canadian tundra, they are pulling in 3 and 4* transfers sitting 2 and 3 deep on the pine at big programs. That’s why we were totally obliterated by speed, athleticism and sheer talent overmatch.
we definitely need to cultivate the P5 transfer option a lot more going fwd.. DJ Morgan was a start.. Need to keep that trend going, at all positions.. BUT, after seeing what we've been seeing, I think DL, OL, LB, WR, and QB (NOT a PWO, please) all need to be addressed..

Reaction Score
Will transfers come to play in this offense? I think Edsall is really selling himself short. Let's be real here.
He's got an eye for talent, he's put many underrated guys in the NFL and he teaches boys to be successful men. His past players believe in him and his methods.

If Randy would just take a good look in the mirror and tell AD Dave that he wants good coordinators that he will let do their jobs, he'd pull this off. He should focus on operating the program, identifying talent and keeping people accountable. He's got to commit to being a leader rather a micro manager. I think he's one of the very best at unearthing players and it will be a shame to see him go down in flames because he can't chill out enough to see the big picture and let people do their jobs. In the process, he can evaluate and recruit more because he won't be so involved in the offense and defense. He's got to start selling his development of pros and let other people create the schemes.

Reaction Score
Diaco might actually still be here if the team didn't nosedive in 2016. Go back and look at the results of that season. We were coming off a bowl appearance the year prior and the first 7-8 games of 2016 we were competitive. We were 3-4 and leading UCF near halftime when we gave up a TD before the break, then they pulled away the rest of the game. After that, it's like whatever competitive ability the team had just vanished. Lost the next 4 games by a combined score of 130-16. We haven't looked like anything resembling an FBS program since.

MAINE - W, 24-21
at Navy - L, 24-28
VIRGINIA - W, 13-10
SYRACUSE - L, 24-31
at Houston - L, 14-42
CINCINNATI - W, 20-9
at USF - L, 27-42
UCF - L, 16-24
at East Carolina - L, 3-41
TEMPLE - L, 0-21
at BC - L, 0-30
TULANE - L, 13-38

Reaction Score
I was at the Husky Walk for the Virginia game after the Navy debacle the week before. He looked like a deer in the headlights going into that game. I think the poor guy was just in way over his head. In the Syracuse game he left our CB, Summers man on man with that stud receiver from Syracuse for as long as it took for them to take a big lead. I was at the BC game when we did a fake field goal first and goal from the 18. Everyone in that stadium was scratching their head wondering why anyone would do something so stupid.

Honestly, I think the guy came unglued that season. And his recruiting speaks for itself. He had to go.

Reaction Score
Will transfers come to play in this offense? I think Edsall is really selling himself short. Let's be real here.
He's got an eye for talent, he's put many underrated guys in the NFL and he teaches boys to be successful men. His past players believe in him and his methods.

If Randy would just take a good look in the mirror and tell AD Dave that he wants good coordinators that he will let do their jobs, he'd pull this off. He should focus on operating the program, identifying talent and keeping people accountable. He's got to commit to being a leader rather a micro manager. I think he's one of the very best at unearthing players and it will be a shame to see him go down in flames because he can't chill out enough to see the big picture and let people do their jobs. In the process, he can evaluate and recruit more because he won't be so involved in the offense and defense. He's got to start selling his development of pros and let other people create the schemes.
Yeah, let's count on the 60 something guy to change how he operates after 40 years of doing the same thing. I want a head coach who gets way involved in offensive and defensive SCHEMES: and I don't mean a fool head coach who picks a Crocker type guy on defense and sticks with him/it for 2 years.
I hear Suzy was a good manager of people, maybe she can come back as the next head coach, just hire good assistants.

Reaction Score
I still can’t get over that Navy game. Of all the coaching flubs we’ve endured here, that had to be the worst.

Reaction Score
They are worse, way worse, than when he took over as 2.0. Worst FBS program in CFB. No improvement.
This is a good point. He took a bad team and managed to turn it into THE WORST team. 3 years in, and the progress on the field seems stuck in reverse. But he will take to the podium and talk about how great the culture is.

Reaction Score

You mean like at Clemson where the DC runs the defense? The way they operate is just what we need if we have two good/great coordinators.

Reaction Score
Yeah, let's count on the 60 something guy to change how he operates after 40 years of doing the same thing. I want a head coach who gets way involved in offensive and defensive SCHEMES: and I don't mean a fool head coach who picks a Crocker type guy on defense and sticks with him/it for 2 years.
I hear Suzy was a good manager of people, maybe she can come back as the next head coach, just hire good assistants.

First, Crocker seemed like a good choice at the time. Oh, well.

As for the rest, Randy has a really strong skill to find talent and athletes. It is his greatest asset as a coach. Of course, I’d rather move on with a young coach with a brilliant offensive mind. If I can’t, let’s keep Randy and get strong coordinators and let them do their thing.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

Will UConn adminstration let them in. That has been an issue for awhile now and we've heard it from all different coaches I different sports like basketball and football.
I want them to open it up some but I may be in the minority in that way of thinking

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom