Edsall will make us competitive again | The Boneyard

Edsall will make us competitive again

Reaction Score
Memphis, Houston, UCF, USF, Cinci are all respectable programs no matter who they are playing. So let's not use the AAC excuse. Our program can and I believe will be respectable again. Edsall had top D's when he was last here that our current roster couldn't hold a candle to. Bama Wilson and Lutrus swarmed the field and could actually get to the QB for a blitz. I still think back to that goal line stuff at Notre Dame. Those were players. Compare that to UVA's rb bulldozing our LB's like bowling pins today.

What should give us confidence is the fact that Edsall's freshmen are already among the fastest on the team and are already impact players that we will see more of as the season goes on. Some are talking about the current D scheme but imagine this system with Gratz, Blidhi locking down UVA's WR's and Bryon flying in from the safety spot. I've said it before... what we see right now are players who are use to losing .. this will change as the older class filters out and the younger more athletic players take over.

PS just noticed I misspelled Competitive. O well :)

Reaction Score
I'm not worried about Edsall.

I am worried that almost every Northeast football program has looked like garbage since conference realignment has played out. Something is going on. UConn, BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers, etc. They all look disturbingly bad and it can't be a coincidence.

Reaction Score
Remember in 2007 when we were the #16 ranked team in the country? Man, wtf happened (rhetorical, we all know what happened)?

Reaction Score
Edsall 2.0 fells like Diaco 1.0. Blame his failure on the previous coach. Talk up how great his recruiting is when none of his recruits are playing yet. Will the upcoming years be like Diaco too?

Reaction Score

I am worried that almost every Northeast football program has looked like garbage since conference realignment has played out. Something is going on. UConn, BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers, etc. They all look disturbingly bad and it can't be a coincidence.

What do you think it is? I'd say its weather ... but that doesn't account for Michigan, Wisconsin, Washington, Boise, Notre Dame, Cinci, who are competitive.

Reaction Score
Edsall 2.0 fells like Diaco 1.0. Blame his failure on the previous coach. Talk up how great his recruiting is when none of his recruits are playing yet. Will the upcoming years be like Diaco too?

Yes.

That's what you wanted to hear, right?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Steve Addazio.

Reaction Score

Both interesting and accurate. What are your thoughts as to why?

Reaction Score
I noticed the comments on Edsall and the corner backs gaining confidence. Does anyone recall what year it was where Edsall took over the secondary responsibilities?

Reaction Score
I have a theory that the reason why Northeast schools(Penn St is the only exception) just can't really compete is because of the recruiting pool or lack there of because of the rise in soccer activity at the elementary, junior high and high school levels over the last 30 or more years. Boys down south play football and of course the ones that can't play soccer but there isn't the same emphasis on soccer like there is in the North East. There has been a concerted effort to push soccer in the North East and at best tolerate football. All those boys concentrating on soccer instead of working on their football skills has watered down the talent pool up this way.

Reaction Score

But, Temple has actually been respectable. Who would have ever thought that could happen? I think the problem is that all of the schools you mention have had a revolving door of coaches, so I think the similarity is the lack of investment in the program. Rutgers, BC, Pitt, and Syracuse have never decided that investing in a top coach is a good idea.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Absolutely Not
Edsall is a mature coach who has a handle on most situations
BD was/is a DB
BIG Difference

Reaction Score
Was not a fan of the Edsall hire but since actually do believe he will make us respectable.

Reaction Score
I have a theory that the reason why Northeast schools(Penn St is the only exception) just can't really compete is because of the recruiting pool or lack there of because of the rise in soccer activity at the elementary, junior high and high school levels over the last 30 or more years. Boys down south play football and of course the ones that can't play soccer but there isn't the same emphasis on soccer like there is in the North East. There has been a concerted effort to push soccer in the North East and at best tolerate football. All those boys concentrating on soccer instead of working on their football skills has watered down the talent pool up this way.
Add the emergence of Lacrosse too. I see a lot of baseball/football players leave the sport for lacrosse. A sport that barely existed in the Northeast 30 years ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom