Edsall talks talent deficiency | The Boneyard

Edsall talks talent deficiency

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
One of the indirect benefits of all the workout hype videos this spring- it helps Edsall screen his recruiting. I’m sure a lot of dudes that uninterested to being high effort guys saw those vids and said no thanks. It’s probably already scared off more than a couple potential JUCOs and grads.

Now we have to play better football to show it’s working as planned.

PS- very interesting to see how seems to have bought in on social media with Edsall this spring. Non Edsall recruits like Gilmartin, Donaldson, Coyle and others seemed to be on board.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Two more UConn players were drafted in 2010, four in 2011, and by 2014 there were 22 Huskies on active NFL rosters. “You look back,” Edsall said, “and you say, Holy ...”

In 2011 we were told "the cupboard was bare" by Dez and the Courant. That Edsall had left Pasquoloni nothing.

Reaction Score
Two more UConn players were drafted in 2010, four in 2011, and by 2014 there were 22 Huskies on active NFL rosters. “You look back,” Edsall said, “and you say, Holy ...”

In 2011 we were told "the cupboard was bare" by Dez and the Courant. That Edsall had left Pasquoloni nothing.
Pasqualoni was a “state pride “ thing. Bad hire but the athletic community in the state was going to back him to the hilt. Not unlike how most were slow to pick up on Olli’s deficiencies because he was “family.”

Reaction Score
One of the indirect benefits of all the workout hype videos this spring- it helps Edsall screen his recruiting. I’m sure a lot of dudes that uninterested to being high effort guys saw those vids and said no thanks. It’s probably already scared off more than a couple potential JUCOs and grads.

Now we have to play better football to show it’s working as planned.

PS- very interesting to see how seems to have bought in on social media with Edsall this spring. Non Edsall recruits like Gilmartin, Donaldson, Coyle and others seemed to be on board.

Not for nothing but literally every major program in America puts out workout videos like the ones shown in the Matt King Thread on this board. I highly doubt any JUCOs or potential transfers are dropping UConn from consideration because of what they saw in those videos. If you want to play major college football, you better be ready to work your a** off.

As for the constant refrain regarding the lack of talent in the program, it is high time for Edsall to start putting up or shutting up. Most if not all of the kids currently in the program were recruited by him. If they can't get it done at this level that is 100% on him and his staff now. Maybe instead of constantly blaming a deficiency in talent for all your team's woes, he could look in the mirror and consider that there may be a major deficiency in coaching on The Husky Sidelines as well...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Not for nothing but literally every major program in America puts out workout videos like the ones shown in the Matt King Thread on this board. I highly doubt any JUCOs or potential transfers are dropping UConn from consideration because of what they saw in those videos. If you want to play major college football, you better be ready to work your a** off.
. I totally disagree. Lots of kids like playing the game, they like practice too, but not all kids like the S&C process. Most kids can’t handle Edsall’s grind.

Reaction Score
. I totally disagree. Lots of kids like playing the game, they like practice too, but not all kids like the S&C process. Most kids can’t handle Edsall’s grind.

There is zero special in any of the S&C videos posted on this board. That's not a put down, its reality. I can post similar pump up videos for PSU, OSU, Bama, Clemson, whomever you like. If what is shown in the videos on this site are supposed to be scaring anyone off, then that individual should not be considering playing 1A Football in the first place.

Reaction Score
There is zero special in any of the S&C videos posted on this board. That's not a put down, its reality. I can post similar pump up videos for PSU, OSU, Bama, Clemson, whomever you like. If what is shown in the videos on this site are supposed to be scaring anyone off, then that individual should not be considering playing 1A Football in the first place.

I think the videos are a great way for former players to check in on the program. A former strength of the program was the sense that former players and current players were connected. Diaco ended that connection and alienated many former players. This is one way Edsall is bringing it back.

I also think the videos help the players participating to achieve more. If you have ever lifted weights it gets tough fast. Having someone cheering you on, being in the center of all that energy, actually helps you to lift more.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

First of all we are not recruiting against those schools. That maybe news to you. If you are going to make an assertion here at least use fellow AAC schools and frankly top FCS programs because thats who we are competing against for the vast majority of our kids.

These videos maybe common elsewhere, but the are new to UConn football and they are clear in one thing, this staff is not going to look kindly on S&C slackers. That is new messaging for us.

Most JUCOs and Grads know what they can handle when balancing football & school. They are no longer neophytes. Many just want playing time with modest effort. More than I think you realize. To be fully committed to S&C is uncommon....even with D1 athletes.

There are a lot of programs are the selling glamour and toughness, but not necessarily selling grind.

Reaction Score
To be fully committed to S&C is uncommon....even with D1 athletes.

For D1 athletes to remain D1 athletes they have to be committed to the S&C Program. They cannot remain competitive if they are not committed. Maybe guys on the golf team and baseball team can get away without S&C but if you are playing football, basketball or hockey you have to be committed.

Reaction Score
As for the constant refrain regarding the lack of talent in the program, it is high time for Edsall to start putting up or shutting up. Most if not all of the kids currently in the program were recruited by him. If they can't get it done at this level that is 100% on him and his staff now. Maybe instead of constantly blaming a deficiency in talent for all your team's woes, he could look in the mirror and consider that there may be a major deficiency in coaching on The Husky Sidelines as well...

You are two years early. Edsall's first full class is the 2018 class. It takes time.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
For D1 athletes to remain D1 athletes they have to be committed to the S&C Program. They cannot remain competitive if they are not committed.
<--Stop right here. You "cannot remain competitive if they are not committed," exactly. If you think this team has had a roster of "committed" players to S&C than I dont know what to tell you. Its pretty obvious to me we didn't have that here the past 5-7 years. We were out physically matched in nearly every game since 2011.

There is a big difference between merely participating in S&C and actually using it to move your physically ability up several levels. Its the latter most of would like to do, but very few, even gifted athletes, endeavor to do because it takes real sacrifice. A lot of athletes use the S&C program to simply tread water with their ability.

Edsall isn't totally w/o fault here. What's going on this winter should have started in 2017. His approach to the first two winters did not work.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
<--Stop right here. You "cannot remain competitive if they are not committed," exactly. If you think this team has had a roster of "committed" players to S&C than I dont know what to tell you. Its pretty obvious to me we didn't have that here the past 5-7 years. We were out physically matched in nearly every game since 2011.

There is a big difference between merely participating in S&C and actually using it to move your physically ability up several levels. Its the latter most of would like to do, but very few, even gifted athletes, endeavor to do because it takes real sacrifice. A lot of athletes use the S&C program to simply tread water with their ability.

Edsall isn't totally w/o fault here. What's going on this winter should have started in 2017. His approach to the first two winters did not work.
I don't think you can tell anything about these players, especially on the defense side, considering the coaching they received on defense. They looked completely lost.

Edsall throwing his players under the bus is nothing new. After every win he thanked the coaches first. After every loss he blamed the execution (players). It's impossible to tell how much talent we have had the past couple of years. Edsall wasn't trying win.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You are two years early. Edsall's first full class is the 2018 class. It takes time.
True and you are start out hampered by the bad teams that went before you. Diaco was the equivalent of the death penalty for this program. We were gutted, our ability to recruit was hampered, and our culture eviscerated. It is going to take time. More time than I would like but barring finding another Orlovsky out there there is no way to change that. Small incremental improvements are the best we can reasonably hope for as we climb our way out of the hole.

Here's the problem though, all of that assumes that REv2 > REv1. I'm not convinced of that yet. I hope so because the program won't survive another ground up revamp.

Reaction Score

So Edsall and Matt King has some mystical S&C program that Klein didn't have from his time in Minnesota? Klein said the same things about building the mind and body to the next level. Same thing with Balis and many here were eating that up.

hardcorehusky

Reaction Score
The reason RE made the S & C move was that kids weren't bought in to Klein. King brings very little differently than Klein, but he is vocal and gets the kids to motivate each other. I know this as a fact as the players told me this at the fan fest.

Regarding the videos, I could care less other than it is fun to see. The bigger point about them is that the freshman were not ready for prime time and didn't get the opportunity to redshirt due to Diaco's gross incompetence. They got thrust into playing when they physically weren't ready. They are literally trying to play catch up on strength and conditioning. Between being coached and being stronger and faster, you will see a different defense.

C

Chief00

If true, at least we are now at an industry midpoint. May not sound exciting but when your defense was the worse in college football history having an element in your program achieve an industry midpoint, is a reason to celebrate.
Chief Special Update: Another thing I would add is kids don’t fake enthusiasm - Chief can detect that immediately. I see genuine enthusiasm in those videos. Just to be clear though, we still need more talent.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So Edsall and Matt King has some mystical S&C program that Klein didn't have from his time in Minnesota? Klein said the same things about building the mind and body to the next level. Same thing with Balis and many here were eating that up.
By that line of thought changing any members of the coach staff would always be a waste of time.

Many are reading too much into this. We have simply changed the messaging and it’s that grind will matter. Not all programs sell grind. Not all kids want grind.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes! They do. From what I heard the Klein workouts had no music and no hype. He knew his stuff for sure but his approach was totally off. More cerebral and less enthusiasm.
Football is a gladiator sport. If you’re not training like you’re about to go to war a la Thrones then you might as well sit down. It’s like the military, you have to train the psyche to run through a wall then go and kill people. Those hype videos are the complete opposite of the Klein workouts. That’s why the players have bought in. Their mentality seems different.

Reaction Score
First of all we are not recruiting against those schools. That maybe news to you. If you are going to make an assertion here at least use fellow AAC schools and frankly top FCS programs because thats who we are competing against for the vast majority of our kids.

These videos maybe common elsewhere, but the are new to UConn football and they are clear in one thing, this staff is not going to look kindly on S&C slackers. That is new messaging for us.

Most JUCOs and Grads know what they can handle when balancing football & school. They are no longer neophytes. Many just want playing time with modest effort. More than I think you realize. To be fully committed to S&C is uncommon....even with D1 athletes.

There are a lot of programs are the selling glamour and toughness, but not necessarily selling grind.
I like the videos too and agree that it's new messaging the program hasn't had before.

In terms of the "S&C slackers", I'm sure every program, including UConn has them. I don't think these short videos, showing a few players, doing a few reps, is going to have much of an impact in terms of dissuading a player from coming to UConn. A grad transfer will already have 3-4 years of a S&C program and should have a good idea of what to expect. JUCO's probably don't have the same exposure to a D1 S&C program but they should already have a built in "outwork" attitude based on the fact they started at lower level football and are trying to play at the highest collegiate level.

Reaction Score
I don't think you can tell anything about these players, especially on the defense side, considering the coaching they received on defense. They looked completely lost.

Edsall throwing his players under the bus is nothing new. After every win he thanked the coaches first. After every loss he blamed the execution (players). It's impossible to tell how much talent we have had the past couple of years. Edsall wasn't trying win.

Completely agree. I laugh when I see fans "drinking the Kool-Aid" about the S&C program. When you can't recruit "talent" - you recruit "grinders". Grinders is an acronym for "Tough but less talented than what we were trying to recruit". UConn S&C was EXCELLENT under Balis. Excuse me, where did Balis go from UCONN - oh yeah, Notre Dame and the FCS play-offs. We NEVER had the hamstrings and soft tissue injuries under Balis that followed Klein (fact). WE didn't have TALENT pumping those weights and running those sprints.
King is the shiny new toy that Klein was. Who hired Klein...Who hired Crocker? I hope we got a gem with King, BUT....only time will tell.
In the meanwhile, can RE2 STOP comparing 2019 to 2009. The AAC will never be the vehicle that the Big East was. RE2 had better adjust to the reality of 2019 and quit blaming the players ( and in doing so , chase guys like Tyler Davis away) and have just a speck of accountability. I want to see how HIS players DEVELOP. I've heard all I need to hear about how terrible the roster was when he got here. Coach 'em up dude. We HAVE looked out-coached by every offense for 2 years. 2 YEARS. You tell me what guys got better over those seasons.
Finally we beat UCF by 40 points in '15. They stunk, we went to a bowl game. Then they hired a DUDE and we lost by 7 in '16. Boat race since then. The Dude coached em up and changed the course of the program. I don't expect that or anything close to that when all I get is comparisons to 2009. Get a dude and don't recyle with a dude that WALKED OUT on you next time.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I’m drinking the kool-aid that the S&C program has taken a strong turn for the better.

I’m not drinking enough kool-aid to say we suddenly win 7 games.

Stronger - faster players is just one of many things we need. We still need talent and better coaching (which I think Spanos and Perkins will deliver on). We also need good luck with injuries. We also need to get a few more jucos or grads here.

Last edited:

hardcorehusky

Reaction Score
This is how bad it was last year- when we had guys in the right spots(which was rare), they were physically manhandled in 1 -1 situations. Unlike pro football- you can replace guys with similar or better players(physically). In college, kids mature- as they get older they get stronger and even faster. Since 5 star dudes ain't walking through that door, you coach up and develop your younger players. There is no comparison to UCF and what Frost did. We don't have the recruiting territory to draw from. For people to have problems with Randy's recruiting - look at what Diaco did. Unless UConn is paying $4m a year + for a dude(think Les Miles or someone with instant credibility, this is the path. Randy doesn't keep comparing it - he gets asked questions that compare it. Difference is, he did it the first time. And his talent evaluation hasn't gotten worse. it will take time, but this year we will see the upward trend. Bank on it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom