Edsall re Indiana, don't blame me. | The Boneyard

Edsall re Indiana, don't blame me.

Reaction Score
“After watching the film, it was pretty much what I thought I would see,” Edsall said Sunday. “We got whipped physically up front and on offense couldn’t run the ball.

“We had some opportunities to make some plays and didn’t. I thought some of our young guys in their first appearance going on the road didn’t react the way I thought they would react. And when you don’t get any big plays offensively, it’s hard to sustain things.”

A lot of other coaches might have looked at themselves for the way the team reacted. That he might have prepared them better. Or he might have looked at the game plan as a reason (if not the reason) that the running game couldn't get in gear. But apparently Edsall had no such qualms. Throw the kids under the bus. He's very consistent about that after losses.

Reaction Score
“After watching the film, it was pretty much what I thought I would see,” Edsall said Sunday. “We got whipped physically up front and on offense couldn’t run the ball.

“We had some opportunities to make some plays and didn’t. I thought some of our young guys in their first appearance going on the road didn’t react the way I thought they would react. And when you don’t get any big plays offensively, it’s hard to sustain things.”

A lot of other coaches might have looked at themselves for the way the team reacted. That he might have prepared them better. Or he might have looked at the game plan as a reason (if not the reason) that the running game couldn't get in gear. But apparently Edsall had no such qualms. Throw the kids under the bus. He's very consistent about that after losses.

If and when I finally give up on the program RE's attitude will be a major factor.

Reaction Score
Not to defend him but in the postgame Saturday he did say they got beat in coaching
No attack here Whaler, I like that you preface not defending him and then proceed to do so! :D Agree.....
The coaching staff can only do so much with what they have at this point. He probably said that to fend off those that can't take the truth call it throwing the players under the bus. 27 point underdogs and there were people expecting an upset or even a closer game was simply silly at this point.

The announcer man at least twice mentioned their O line averaged 6'5" 326lbs, anyone who has seen our team in real life knows we don't match up to that. There were key players hurt, replaced by freshmen.
Some are posting like we are still in the old Big East and think we are still getting the same level players. The ones we got then had to be given time and coached up and who we get now even more so.

Coming up, 42 point dogs to UCF, can't wait to see threads like Missed Opportunity or Why? No rocket science needed on this at all. We lost a great RB coach to a bigger school, lost a OC to the NFL, not replacements one can pull out of a hat to come here. This is not all on Randy.....

Reaction Score
No attack here Whaler, I like that you preface not defending him and then proceed to do so! :D Agree.....
The coaching staff can only do so much with what they have at this point. He probably said that to fend off those that can't take the truth call it throwing the players under the bus. 27 point underdogs and there were people expecting an upset or even a closer game was simply silly at this point.

The announcer man at least twice mentioned their O line averaged 6'5" 326lbs, anyone who has seen our team in real life knows we don't match up to that. There were key players hurt, replaced by freshmen.
Some are posting like we are still in the old Big East and think we are still getting the same level players. The ones we got then had to be given time and coached up and who we get now even more so.

Coming up, 42 point dogs to UCF, can't wait to see threads like Missed Opportunity or Why? No rocket science needed on this at all. We lost a great RB coach to a bigger school, lost a OC to the NFL, not replacements one can pull out of a hat to come here. This is not all on Randy.....

How people say it's not all on Randy when he's the guy leading the program is comical. He is in control of HIS program - he has to sell it to potential coaches, sell getting better salaries to the AD, sell the conference/opportunity to recruits, hire the right strength guy, etc, etc.

Admittedly, I don't think he's a good coach, so I have a bias, but the above is true for any coach, because if you're the boss man you own it. Every. Single. Bit of it.

Goodness I'd rather flounder around with a young kid at coach who's trying to figure it out than RE at this point.

I always think - the kids should be waring Spotbilt shoes and RE and staff should be wearing the polyester Bike coaching shorts and all have crew cuts.

Move the guy into some role in the AD (quality control - was that his gig with the Lions) so the guy isn't without a paycheck, but goodness this cluster is 100% on him so fix it.

I had more fun with BD because I'd at least laugh at the goofy stuff he said - boy that's a statement I never thought I'd say.

Reaction Score

Man, give the dude a break. Clearly you’re not a fan of him and that’s ok. However, you ever think he has coached them and either A) players are giving their best but just aren’t either good enough or not ready or B) just not executing the game plan? Edsall has proved he can coach up players and it just takes time.. This mess is essentially his problem, give him a chance to fix it. They do need an OC who’s a little more creative but I’m willing to let the year play out and see what happens.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

A couple of things.

This is the exact same Edsall we saw at UConn the first time. Team wins, it's the coaches and preparation. Team loses, it's on players for executions (offense) and lazy eyes (defense).

That being said, the offensive game plan early on was fine and players were open. Jack Zergiotis was horrible with his passes being all over the place and it definitely impacted what UConn's OC was going to call the remainder of the game. I said in the halftime thread I started, I thought the play calling was fine and Jack Zergiotis was screwing the pooch by not hitting open players.

Reaction Score
You should be careful about wishing Edsall gone. You just might get your wish. Consider that UConn hasn't got a snowball's chance of replacing him with someone better. Not since the University hit the football program over the head with a large rock and is currently holding it face down in a pool of water waiting for the thrashing to stop. Denials like "What rock?" and "Who's thrashing?" aren't what you could call credible.

Frankly, I'm surprised he hasn't left already, having been submarined like he was. If he is riding this job to retirement, the Administration has only itself to blame.

Reaction Score
How people say it's not all on Randy when he's the guy leading the program is comical. He is in control of HIS program - he has to sell it to potential coaches, sell getting better salaries to the AD, sell the conference/opportunity to recruits, hire the right strength guy, etc, etc.

Admittedly, I don't think he's a good coach, so I have a bias, but the above is true for any coach, because if you're the boss man you own it. Every. Single. Bit of it.

Goodness I'd rather flounder around with a young kid at coach who's trying to figure it out than RE at this point.

I always think - the kids should be waring Spotbilt shoes and RE and staff should be wearing the polyester Bike coaching shorts and all have crew cuts.

Move the guy into some role in the AD (quality control - was that his gig with the Lions) so the guy isn't without a paycheck, but goodness this cluster is 100% on him so fix it.

I had more fun with BD because I'd at least laugh at the goofy stuff he said - boy that's a statement I never thought I'd say.
You think Randy is here for a paycheck? Only way he leaves is he gets fed up.

Reaction Score
It is up to the AD to find the money to keep a good staff. If he doesn't he should be fired. I find nothing wrong with HCRE stating the obvious that our most experienced group that has a great training facility, a great strength and conditioning coach, and the physical size to do the job is not getting the job done. Our 2nd start QB did not make good throws. We had defensive side injuries on a unit that has many young players. Just standing there and saying it is all my fault is nonsense and a lie. This will be an incremental rebuild. Let's see where we are at the end of the year. For UCF I want to see players not wimping out on tackles. Few blown coverage's, The O-line showing some aggression and a running game. Special teams that are solid. Maybe the QB makes throws that are open. We will be outmatched but refuse to give in. That will be progress.

Reaction Score
A couple of things.

This is the exact same Edsall we saw at UConn the first time. Team wins, it's the coaches and preparation. Team loses, it's on players for executions (offense) and lazy eyes (defense).

That being said, the offensive game plan early on was fine and players were open. Jack Zergiotis was horrible with his passes being all over the place and it definitely impacted what UConn's OC was going to call the remainder of the game. I said in the halftime thread I started, I thought the play calling was fine and Jack Zergiotis was screwing the pooch by not hitting open players.
I believe that you are correct. I heard the first half on SiriusXM with the Indiana broadcast. The announcers were astounded (and relieved) at the poor passing by "Jack Zergiotis". Can't blame the coaches for that.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Here's another nugget I'm looking for against UCF and USF.

Good and bad, Randy is a man of steady habits and always regresses in to his comfort zone. Back when Zach Frazer was QB, he had problems with accuracy on crossing patterns, fly routes, any route where QB needed to hit WR in stride. Randy went to an offense where it was throwing to targets and spots. So, WR's were running routes where they'd be squared up and stationary when catching the ball. Completion percentage went up and YAC went to just about zero. I'm expecting the same changes in play calling with Jack Zergiotis.

Reaction Score
I believe that you are correct. I heard the first half on SiriusXM with the Indiana broadcast. The announcers were astounded (and relieved) at the poor passing by "Jack Zergiotis". Can't blame the coaches for that.

Ummm, didn't HCRE2.0 PICK "Jack Zergiotis" as the starter?

Didn't HCRE2.0 have 2 years to bring in QB's? The experienced guy he brings in and makes 1st game starter, gets hurt and is assumedly ok to play again and can't beat out a freshman who played all but one series in the Indiana game and had a QB rating of 9.4.

Why not start Steven Krajewski against Illinois (is he really that bad/unready), if he plays like Jack Zergiotis played in the Indiana game "he had his chance as next guy up" and you go to Jack Zergiotis or put the 1st game starter in against Indiana if he's ok. HCRE2.0 has boxed himself into playing Jack Zergiotis until the kid really, really blows up (since Indiana was not blowing up enough as he is still the starter).
Boy I hope Jack Zergiotis really has "IT" 'cause he is going to need it against UCF.

Reaction Score
Ummm, didn't HCRE2.0 PICK "Jack Zergiotis" as the starter?

Didn't HCRE2.0 have 2 years to bring in QB's? The experienced guy he brings in and makes 1st game starter, gets hurt and is assumedly ok to play again and can't beat out a freshman who played all but one series in the Indiana game and had a QB rating of 9.4.

Why not start Steven Krajewski against Illinois (is he really that bad/unready), if he plays like Jack Zergiotis played in the Indiana game "he had his chance as next guy up" and you go to Jack Zergiotis or put the 1st game starter in against Indiana if he's ok. HCRE2.0 has boxed himself into playing Jack Zergiotis until the kid really, really blows up (since Indiana was not blowing up enough as he is still the starter).
Boy I hope Jack Zergiotis really has "IT" 'cause he is going to need it against UCF.
I like the old saying we are as good as our record says we are. The head coach has one job. Within the confines of the rules, develop winning teams. Either you do or don’t. Edsall is in year 3 and has presided over a disaster in year 1 and mega disaster in year 2 with his handpicked DC, managed to lose a world class OC and replaced him with a decent OC and then replaced him with an OL coach. No. Not buying the BS anymore. Not buying he needs time. Not buying the perpetual cupboard is bare when he’s responsible for stocking it. Time for RE to step up or step out. I didn’t expect us to beat Indiana but I expected more than 3 anemic points and at least a competitive showing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom