Edsall picks up key endorsement | The Boneyard

Edsall picks up key endorsement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
[QUOTEAfter a good defensive performance against Georgia Tech, Edsall credited his coaches — without saying a word about the players who played so well.][/QUOTE]

Sound familiar?

Reaction Score
At least Randy ended the season strong getting out scored 35-0 in his last Q to blow a huge lead and lose the game.

#dreamjob
#terpnation

Reaction Score
No. Nothing bothers Edsall. He’s never wrong. He coached good; his players played bad. And wore their caps backward too often. The media was unfair. And he’s just like Bob Kraft and the Patriots.

Or this?

I actually want to see RE stay at UMD because Maryland is a great, fertile recruiting area. As long as RE is there alienating the local coaches, we should be able to land a couple ;)

Reaction Score
OUCH!!!!! My brother is a terp alum and still lives down in DC. He sent me some texts last night about the game. He is on the fire Edsall band wagon now after last night (the last text I got from him was "I have NEVER seen such a bad terp football game!) and said that if he doesn't win at least 8 games next season he will most likely be gone.

Reaction Score
the Feinstein piece speaks to the sad state of athletics at MD. Basically if Edsall stays, the football program will lose so much money via lost ticket sales and donations that they will have to shuttle more programs.

Reaction Score
the Feinstein piece speaks to the sad state of athletics at MD. Basically if Edsall stays, the football program will lose so much money via lost ticket sales and donations that they will have to shuttle more programs.

After reading that I would not be surprised if he does get fired. It's an odd position Maryland is in, they can't afford to fire him but they really can't afford to keep him.

Reaction Score
After reading that I would not be surprised if he does get fired. It's an odd position Maryland is in, they can't afford to fire him but they really can't afford to keep him.

I cannot imagine that they would fire him - I'd give it about a 1% chance. I can see the whole "Leach was my choice" position for Anderson, but even in this climate, 1 year would be unprecedented - I think. Has there been any coach that was fired after 1 year? Esp. one that was brought in from the outside? I was fairly suprised that Turner Gill and Larry Porter were both fired at the end of season #2, although neither team was competitive. Edsall has some work to do to dig out of the hole he has put himself in.

Reaction Score
Can't fire him after one year. RE needs and has always needed a publicist. He needs to be told wjat to say and what not to say and needs his image to be cleansed. His ego and sensitivity has hurt him as he has become a more national figure.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
IDK, if donors don't donate, it becomes more costly to keep him

plus Under Armour has a lot of money

Reaction Score
As I said throughout his UConn tenure, Edsall is a PR disaster. That didn't matter much at UConn. His modest achievements looked very good against against a blank wall.

Now, for the first time, with real expectations, his PR skills hurt very badly. His praises coaches for wins, blames players for losses. He has little ability for self-evaluation like his insistence for a decade there was nothing wrong with blocking for punts. The reality of leading the conference for years in having kicks blocked never motivated him to act.

Randy is not a bad coach. He is not a great one either. But he does have some serious flaws that were exposed -but rarely criticized- during his time in Storrs. The goo news is that it should be easier to get Maryland recruits.

Reaction Score
As I said throughout his UConn tenure, Edsall is a PR disaster. That didn't matter much at UConn. His modest achievements looked very good against against a blank wall.

Now, for the first time, with real expectations, his PR skills hurt very badly. His praises coaches for wins, blames players for losses. He has little ability for self-evaluation like his insistence for a decade there was nothing wrong with blocking for punts. The reality of leading the conference for years in having kicks blocked never motivated him to act.

Randy is not a bad coach. He is not a great one either. But he does have some serious flaws that were exposed -but rarely criticized- during his time in Storrs. The goo news is that it should be easier to get Maryland recruits.
His recruiting resume especially in CT or close by was not good, and I find it ironic for a couple of reasons that one of his best recruits at QB was Mike Nebrich.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Here's another guy, David Mackall, that's not a fan. He did a lot of talking for this article.

Sophomore defensive end David Mackall, who had been suspended indefinitely Nov. 2 by Maryland head coach Randy Edsall, said Sunday that he has been granted a release from the school.

Mackall, who finished the season with 30 tackles, including three sacks, in eight games, said the tipping point for him in terms of his feelings abut Edsall came after the Florida State game, a 41-16 loss to the Seminoles Oct. 22.

"After the Florida State game, he said that we didn't have enough talent, that we didn't have enough players to compete with teams like Florida State and Clemson," Mackall said. "He pretty much lost me because any coach is expected to stick with their soldiers in the middle of battle. I felt like he really wasn't focused on us or the task at hand by that comment."

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Good thing he didn't tell MD fans, "I'll be your coach for as long as you'll have me."

Reaction Score
Here's another guy, David Mackall, that's not a fan. He did a lot of talking for this article.

Sophomore defensive end David Mackall, who had been suspended indefinitely Nov. 2 by Maryland head coach Randy Edsall, said Sunday that he has been granted a release from the school.

Mackall, who finished the season with 30 tackles, including three sacks, in eight games, said the tipping point for him in terms of his feelings abut Edsall came after the Florida State game, a 41-16 loss to the Seminoles Oct. 22.

"After the Florida State game, he said that we didn't have enough talent, that we didn't have enough players to compete with teams like Florida State and Clemson," Mackall said. "He pretty much lost me because any coach is expected to stick with their soldiers in the middle of battle. I felt like he really wasn't focused on us or the task at hand by that comment."
Wow, not good if you're HCRE.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i think you have to give the guy 2 years. after all he's playing with kids he never recruited. still, not exactly lighting it up is he?

Reaction Score
The praising coaches after victories and blaming players after losses for lack of execution is what really soured me on Edsall as a coach. For a guy who preached the "team concept" as much as he did, he sure liked to jump up and scream "look at me" when things went right.

That type of behavior reeks of a person not comfortable in his own skin. I better never see him in any Dove commercials.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
My thoughts exactly. I hope PP gets in touch with him. Since Maryland released him and if he leaves the ACC can he play next season or must he still sit out a year?
any chance he transfers here?:D

Reaction Score
My thoughts exactly. I hope PP gets in touch with him. Since Maryland released him and if he leaves the ACC can he play next season or must he still sit out a year?

let Don Brown lead the charge

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
He has to sit out a year if he transfers to another Div IA school. On the plus side of the ledger, he's a true sophomore and still has 2 years remaining if he does transfer to a Div IA school.

Reaction Score

Has to sit unless he drops down to FCS... Towson has his attention.

Reaction Score
It seems like it would be less costly for Maryland to just dump Edsall now than to hold on to him in the long run.

Unfortunately if they want Mike Leach, they will get into a bidding war with a few other schools.

Reaction Score
Maryland is screwed. Edsall will improve his win total by accident next year. If he gets to 5 wins, it's tough to fire him.

Bu the crowd will stay away in droves and unless the basketball team has a magical season sports revenues will go into the toilet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom