Edsall/Hurley Contracts Extended two years... | The Boneyard

Edsall/Hurley Contracts Extended two years...

Reaction Score

->Salary structure of both contracts remains unchanged from the original agreements.

Edsall and the University agreed to a two-year contract extension through December 31, 2023, with compensation valued at $1,256,000 during 2021-22 contract year.

"When I hired Randy, he and I knew that rebuilding our football program was a long-term project that would require a great deal of patience," Benedict said. "My confidence in his ability to revive UConn football remains strong, and I look forward to watching a committed group of young men compete on the gridiron this fall."

"I'm very appreciative that David and the university leadership understand what goes into rebuilding a football program here at UConn," Edsall said. "We are looking to reap the benefits of the hard work that our players and coaches have put forth as we head into the 2021 season." <-

Reaction Score
Was extending Randy's contract the smartest move given the sub-basement ranking for the Huskies. Where is he going to go if the contract is in limbo until fall?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
As long as there’s no significant change in the current buyout structure, I don’t really see any downsides.
Yup- this is a recruiting thing more than anything. His original deal expired after 2021- in reading the details released on UConn Huskies website it said the structure of the deal remains the same. So if the buyout is still $0 then zero issues.

Reaction Score
If you don’t do this, he might not get into the living rooms of future huskies. It’s what any program does.

I like the messaging - disaster left us with a D2 program, we were not going the quick fix route, but let’s stop talking about winning and start producing. I remain a fan of AD David Benedict

Reaction Score
Some interesting quotes from AD Benedict here more about why he upped Edsall's deal

'Our way of committing' UConn extends Dan Hurley, Randy Edsall contracts

“I don’t think, especially with COVID this year, that five years is enough to rebuild this program,” Benedict said. “Because you were really starting over. I’ve talked about this at length previously, about the number of coaching changes that we had prior to Randy coming back and the number of times that you had to really lose a recruiting class. It was really going to take five years to fully put in place a roster where one coach had the time to rebuild it and build it in a way that you can be competitive. … That takes time. Whether it would have been Randy or anybody else coming in under the circumstances we were in at that point in time, [that person] was going to need this amount of time to really be fair to them and allow them to see if they could be successful.”

Reaction Score

With all due respect, WHY WOULD YOU EXTEND HIM? Yes, he was a lot better when UConn was in the Big East for football, but he left, came back, and the most amount of wins he’s had with a team since he got back here was 3 in his first season. That’s not even close to being worth a contract extension. I’m patient, but there’s no way I would want him extended unless he’s going to get us into a bowl next season.

Reaction Score
With all due respect, WHY WOULD YOU EXTEND HIM? Yes, he was a lot better when UConn was in the Big East for football, but he left, came back, and the most amount of wins he’s had with a team since he got back here was 3 in his first season. That’s not even close to being worth a contract extension. I’m patient, but there’s no way I would want him extended unless he’s going to get us into a bowl next season.
If the buyout is $0 then it’s nothing other than some paper that he can show recruits to say that he I signed for the next few years. So it would help recruiting. What’s the downside if the buyout is $0?

Reaction Score
He has to be able to recruit. You get kids commiting before the season starts.

Reaction Score
At those numbers the extension doesn't mean all that much and it sends the right message to recruits.

I'm not defending Randy's performance since he came back, although I think he did a terrific job his first go around. But, this thing was an absolute mess when he stepped in. P killed the culture and then Crazy Bob recruited a basketball team and a slow one at that.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
HCRE deserves a real chance to succeed with what happened last year. Making this a season on the brink wouldn't have done anyone any good.

Reaction Score
Do I think Edsall is the right long-term solution for this program? No. But extending a super cheap contract with zero risk? No-brainer.

Reaction Score
AllAbout5 should become the athletic director!

Reaction Score
AllAbout5 should become the athletic director!
With a $0 buyout, what’s the downside? We’ve said it can help recruiting by doing this. So, what’s wrong with it?

Reaction Score
With a $0 buyout, what’s the downside? We’ve said it can help recruiting by doing this. So, what’s wrong with it?
I get the feeling Randy Edsall has the idea they just won't fire him no matter what the record is next fall.
All coaches at UConn as well as the AD need to be held accountable. Five years is way too long for a rebound.

Reaction Score
I get the feeling Randy Edsall has the idea they just won't fire him no matter what the record is next fall.
All coaches at UConn as well as the AD need to be held accountable. Five years is way too long for a rebound.
It’s not a 5 year guaranteed contract. UConn can fire him at any time during the contract and it will cost them $0. There is literally no downside to the contract. It can help recruiting without any long term monetary issues if performance isn’t up to par

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
You are just being a tool at this point. Everything Edsall and Benedict has said is that they need to see results this year.

Reaction Score
You are just being a tool at this point. Everything Edsall and Benedict has said is that they need to see results this year.
Where does it say this fall is the last test in this statement: "When I hired Randy, he and I knew that rebuilding our football program was a long-term project that would require a great deal of patience," Benedict said. "My confidence in his ability to revive UConn football remains strong, and I look forward to watching a committed group of young men compete on the gridiron this fall." Most self-respecting FB programs would have given Randy no more than three years.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Where does it say this fall is the last test in this statement: "When I hired Randy, he and I knew that rebuilding our football program was a long-term project that would require a great deal of patience," Benedict said. "My confidence in his ability to revive UConn football remains strong, and I look forward to watching a committed group of young men compete on the gridiron this fall." Most self-respecting FB programs would have given Randy no more than three years.
He isn't going to declare a "last test".

But he did say “When we made this hire and made the change, we knew it was going to require patience. Now it comes down to performance. And Randy certainly understands that and knows that we have to begin to make strides on the field."

That's good enough for me. If you want, you can ignore what has transpired at UConn the last 10 years...but the reality is UConn was in a bad place when Edsall got here (financially and on the field) and he needed time to make progress. But, he needs to show progress this year. Edsall has said it and Benedict has said it.

It's really not that hard to understand...well unless you are trolling.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom