Edsall has only 1 win against a ranked opponent | The Boneyard

Edsall has only 1 win against a ranked opponent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Edsall has a career sub-.500 record and in his 16 years of coaching has only 1 (YES ONE) win against a ranked opponent. To put that into context here is what the Washington Post had to say in Edsall's last year at Maryland:

Edsall is 0-10 against top 25 teams during his Maryland tenure; no major conference coach has played more ranked teams at his current job without recording a win, according to a recent Wall Street Journal report. In his career, Edsall is 1-26 against ranked teams, the worst mark of the 32 active major conference coaches who have faced at least 20 ranked teams.

I can't believe Benedict picked Edsall (lost all my confidence in the AD), can't believe there are some fans who are happy that he is back, but one thing that will not surprise me is when the next conference realignment talk gets started schools like UH, Cincy, USF, and UCF will be viewed as better candidates because they keep hiring coaches who get raided by top Power 5 programs while we keep firing our hires....smh.

Reaction Score
This is a hire to stabilize the program and, at the very least, recreate a platform for us to go higher, post-Edsall.

The team did play well under Edsall. He can say that he did succeed at UConn when it comes to recruiting.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Wasnt USF #2 when we beat them at home?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
We have to allow the possibility that RE has grown. I always felt that RE played top teams to not get embarrassed. It never felt like he took chances to grab a win but rather slow played the game so they didn't get beat too bad. As Chin mentioned in another thread, maybe this was to save his own reputation and position him best for the next job.

Who knows...but it did feel like he got uber-conservative against top teams. Hopefully a new OC, a little personal growth and a different career vision will make him more aggressive.

Reaction Score
Maybe Edsall and Benedict can split cab fare on their way out next December.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Looks like half the board will have to be on ignore just to get through a thread now.

We should just have 2 separate football boards on this site. One for Edsall Lovers and one for Edsall badgers. 1/3 would post on the EL page, 1/3 would post on the EH page, and 1/3 would float back and forth based on the last recruit/play/game.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
We should just have 2 separate football boards on this site. One for Edsall Lovers and one for Edsall badgers. 1/3 would post on the EL page, 1/3 would post on the EH page, and 1/3 would float back and forth based on the last recruit/play/game.

I think,there are a lot of us on here who are disappointed it wasn't a new more exciting name, but also are somewhat happy that at least this shouldn't be a train wreck. The last two coaches have us gun shy. I am surprised people are so strongly for or against. I would guess most are neutral.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Edsall has a career sub-.500 record and in his 16 years of coaching has only 1 (YES ONE) win against a ranked opponent. To put that into context here is what the Washington Post had to say in Edsall's last year at Maryland:

Edsall is 0-10 against top 25 teams during his Maryland tenure; no major conference coach has played more ranked teams at his current job without recording a win, according to a recent Wall Street Journal report. In his career, Edsall is 1-26 against ranked teams, the worst mark of the 32 active major conference coaches who have faced at least 20 ranked teams.

I can't believe Benedict picked Edsall (lost all my confidence in the AD), can't believe there are some fans who are happy that he is back, but one thing that will not surprise me is when the next conference realignment talk gets started schools like UH, Cincy, USF, and UCF will be viewed as better candidates because they keep hiring coaches who get raided by top Power 5 programs while we keep firing our hires....smh.

I would avoid breaking down Edsall's track record. The results are not pretty.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
USF was #11 in 2007...and Edsall got the win...must have been his one win of 26..
With a win I thought the Bulls were staring at being the #1 team in the country that night. Then UCONN had that glorious goal line stand. And then the field storming happened!

Reaction Score
USF was #2 the week before they faced us. Loss to Rutty knocked them down to #11.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yep, only one win vs a ranked opponent.

Also, from 2003-2010, HCRE was 27-32 vs P5 (current) and 32-8 vs G5. That's pretty much going bowling every year, which is far cry better than where we've been.

I'm not expecting a national championship or even a NY6 bowl under HCRE. I am expecting to do better than Rutty, BC and Wake. Hopefully a nice warm destination in December or, ideally January.

I pulled up this article from 2014. It covers the seven years from 2007-2013. Interesting that even the lauded Jerry Kill went 0-12 vs ranked teams. Plus 0-fers from a number of P5s, including Cal, Duke, Colorado, Miami (Al Golden), and 1-fers for guys like Dan Mullen and Butch Jones.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek