Edsall goes for two. Mistake. | The Boneyard

Edsall goes for two. Mistake.

Reaction Score
Never go for two until the end of the game. Last few minutes.

Dumb decision. It almost always is. It hurt us today. In a way, it was a reminder that Edsall is no savior. He is a middle of the pack coach with some warts.

It didn't cost us the game. But it was not good decision making. It contributed to us giving up the lead.

The rule. Never go for two unless you absolutely have to.

Reaction Score

Dumb decision. It almost always is. It hurt us today. In a way, it was a reminder that Edsall is no savior. He is a middle of the pack coach with some warts.

It didn't cost us the game. But it was not good decision making. It contributed to us giving up the lead.

I agree it was earlier than I would have gone for it, yet if the receiver doesn't step out of bounds a second earlier it works.

Reaction Score
Those are the warts you get with Edsall as you say. He's not a brilliant X and O guy. What he is, is a guy whose teams seldom beat themselves. One off season wasn't enough for him to instill this in this team. This team shot itself in the foot all year, culminating with the Hergy penalty today. But UCF we got them 3 and out on the 1st drive of the game, and we give them a 1st with an offsides on a punt. I hope to see less of that next year. A lot less

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It had minimal effect and was prescient. At best, it was about 8th on the list of things that decided the game.

Reaction Score
We still don’t yet know how to win. We keep getting closer but can’t seem to make it happen. The black end zone extended beyond the end line. I can see the “eye” getting confused. Hergy was an inch from 2pts but then again he also caught the last second TD. We’ve got some good players. I’m optimistic about next year. We should be improved and win more games.

Reaction Score
You’ve got to get used to winning games - making the plays and decisions when it matters - in order to KNOW how to win games. Clearly we still don’t. We haven’t been in enough close game situations to know. That culture of losing since 2011 is hard to shed.

We dominated time of possession but couldn’t score in the red zone enough to build a sizeable lead. Then when we go up 15-7 with the D playing great they mysteriously vanish. Game tied at 15, we let them march right down the field late for an easy TD.

So many little things during the course of a game that add up and cost them in the end. As bad as the ending was, that drive shoudn’t have been needed. We lost it by not being tough enough on D to stop them when it mattered, and by not finishing drives in the 1st half. Team loss. Not Mayala, not Tarbutt, but the whole team.

Reaction Score
I didn't think it was the right call at the time. But it wasn't crazy, and they had a play that should have worked but for a player making a mental error.

Reaction Score
Do you want to win the game? I had no problem with the call given that this game was going to be low scoring and the score at the time. The D was playing well enough that not making it was not fatal. Uconn had the opportunity to win except for a dumb penalty and should have been in OT except for a bad kick.

C

Chief00

Some of our players know how to beat themselves - we need to transition to players who know how to win.

There were a couple little things I noted too: Bell not joining the gang tackle when the Cincy guy was fighting for a first down. Ormsby trying to pick up the fumble rather than just falling on it.

Reaction Score
Some of our players know how to beat themselves - we need to transition to players who know how to win.

There were a couple little things I noted too: Bell not joining the gang tackle when the Cincy guy was fighting for a first down. Ormsby trying to pick up the fumble rather than just falling on it.
That was the first thing that stuck out at me about the fumble, Ormbsy looked like he wanted to pick it up and run instead of just falling on it. If he goes to the ground it might be a 50/50 ball.

Reaction Score
Our special teams need a lot of work. Very slow to punt the ball then inconsistent kicking it. Returning kickoffs that should be downed and not getting back to the 25. Catching punts so the ball doesn't roll towards our goaline. Can we gain some yards on punt return, someday? Field goal kicking- enough said. We will know we have upgraded our overall roster talent level when we start to hammer opponent kickoff returners more often.

Mayala had a bad day today with the foot on the endline on the conversion, the dropped wide open pass and the taunting. He was off, who knows why?

Reaction Score
Mayala had a bad day today
I guess that’s a relative observation. I’ll take his talent any day. We didn’t lose because of Hergy. The most frustrating thing was how we dominated the first half only to have a bad QB decision lead to a late pick and a last minute TD for Cincy.

Reaction Score

Idiotic thread. We had the 2, but Mayala stepped out of bounds. And, if we didn't go for 2, Cinci wouldn't have gone for 2 later in the game. It didn't cost us the game. The Pindell interception at the end of the first half and the Mayala personal foul call were big mistakes.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
No guts no glory hate conservative football

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
In the game thread, there were some of us who questioned going for two before it failed.

I've often said here at the Boneyard that in terms of time management and issues like going for two, the average guy in a bar with a six pack inside him would make better decisions than most pro and college coaches.

All of us remember the Navy game last year.

Reaction Score
Hey, we made SportsCenter. The 2 point attempt, final dumb penalty, missed extra point were given it's very own stand alone highlight and shown set to clown/circus music. Wish I was kidding but yeah that's where we are at now.

Reaction Score
Idiotic thread. We had the 2, but Mayala stepped out of bounds. And, if we didn't go for 2, Cinci wouldn't have gone for 2 later in the game. It didn't cost us the game. The Pindell interception at the end of the first half and the Mayala personal foul call were big mistakes.
I said it didn't cost us the game in my post. It is still stupid to go for two in the third quarter, it is even worse to do it when you have the lead.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not going for two there isn’t being conservative. It’s understanding how 1, 3 and 6 add together.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom