Edsall confronts an angry Maryland fan | The Boneyard

Edsall confronts an angry Maryland fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
hehe... "You have the recruiting presence of Betty White"... and as to why he left us in the dark of night, "I was still mad at the players for failing to execute against Oklahoma"....

Reaction Score
I'm getting tired of these Randy threads, but I have to admit that was funny...

Reaction Score
"I am just as tough as Saban. For instance, I was at the library the other day reading the Bell Jar when suddenly I noticed an 11-year old boy wander into the adult section. I screamed at him to get the hell out!"

Reaction Score
Randy left a lot to be desired in a lot of areas. But please, let's stop with the "How he left" stuff. This is big time college sports, not Little League.

My guess is that this deal was done before the Fiesta (most folks seem to agree). If he announces, he doesn't coach UConn against Oklahoma (SOP in situations like this at most big time programs). They don't want someone who is "dumping them for a new suitor" to remain on the sidelines.

Maryland (to their credit) must have agreed to a post-game announcement so as not to spoil Randy's moment of glory. But . . . they also probably demanded that RE get his to College Park ASAP for the Formal,breaking news, announcement. I'm sure that they didn't want this leaking out via Twitter, player interview, etc.

So the trade off was Maryland waits to make announcement, RE gets to coach in Fiesta Bowl, then time to "pay the piper" . . . say nothing to anyone, get on the first plane "outta Dodge City", and be here in the morning. The UConn players . . . these are young men who should understand this stuff to some extent. . . . deal with it. Ditto +100 for the fans.

Reaction Score
Randy left a lot to be desired in a lot of areas. But please, let's stop with the "How he left" stuff. This is big time college sports, not Little League.

My guess is that this deal was done before the Fiesta (most folks seem to agree). If he announces, he doesn't coach UConn against Oklahoma (SOP in situations like this at most big time programs). They don't want someone who is "dumping them for a new suitor" to remain on the sidelines.

Maryland (to their credit) must have agreed to a post-game announcement so as not to spoil Randy's moment of glory. But . . . they also probably demanded that RE get his to College Park ASAP for the Formal,breaking news, announcement. I'm sure that they didn't want this leaking out via Twitter, player interview, etc.

So the trade off was Maryland waits to make announcement, RE gets to coach in Fiesta Bowl, then time to "pay the piper" . . . say nothing to anyone, get on the first plane "outta Dodge City", and be here in the morning. The UConn players . . . these are young men who should understand this stuff to some extent . . . deal with it.

You'd be 100% correct if Edsall didn't obnoxiously preach about behavior that is the opposite of what you described

Reaction Score
hehe... "You have the recruiting presence of Betty White"... and as to why he left us in the dark of night, "I was still mad at the players for failing to execute against Oklahoma"....

Let's be honest -- it's hard not to be funny if you can work a Betty White line in.

Reaction Score

So the trade off was Maryland waits to make announcement, RE gets to coach in Fiesta Bowl, then time to "pay the piper" . . . say nothing to anyone, get on the first plane "outta Dodge City", and be here in the morning. The UConn players . . . these are young men who should understand this stuff to some extent. . . . deal with it. Ditto +100 for the fans.

And that is the unfortunately logical and well said analysis that we have shied away from for the past year in our anger, disappointment or, in some cases, general dislike for the man. No coach that leaves his program for upward mobility (whether Edsall was right or wrong with that is another matter) leaves his old fan base happy. Why is that? It's because the new school, given the recruiting calendar, needs their new coach in place right after the end of the regular season, and those schools that wait until the coach finishes his bowl game with his prior team without having made an announcement are at a huge disadvantage. See, e.g., Kelley, Brian and Rodriguez, Rich.

Edsall, to his credit, presumably would not leave UConn until after the game. The most reasonable explanation for what happened is the calendar that he followed (fly to Maryland and accept and announce on the spot) was the only one UM would allow him if they were waiting for the bowl game. And, while obviously you'd rather he have told the team face to face, it was one thousand times less of a disservice to UConn to leave the way he did than it would have been to have taken the maryland job on December 15 to 20th. It sucks, but that is the way college football worked, works and will work and has nothing to do with Esall. When we all rise up and say "I don't care about winning -- football should first and foremost be about the players" then call me.

Now, if someone can really give me any evidence whatsoever that Maryland said to Edsall "do you need 24 hours to notify your players via conference call" and Esall said "no, not necessary," than what I said is not applicable. But in the 11 months since the Fiesta Bowl, that story has never come out.

Reaction Score

"Big time college sports" is no excuse for not doing what is right. The most important aspect of character is how you treat others. It should not matter whether you are in the "Little League" or "big time college sports". Randy owed it to the team to tell them in person he was leaving. His not doing so was wrong, and went against what he taught. It was hypocritical of Randy to have Todman tell the team, in person, that he would not be back and withhold the fact that he was leaving too. If Randy was going to Maryland, and knew that before the game, he should have gone ahead and publicly announced it. A big time college coach should do the right thing and if not coaching in a bowl game is a consequence - so be it.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Who cares how he left? Can't we just be happy he did leave?

I don't know about everybody else, but IMO he gave the players a raw deal. I'm sure that they were devastated, coming back from a lopsided loss & having to hear from friends & family members that their coach had left. Heartless & cowardly doesn't even begin to cover it!

Reaction Score
I am sure the players have gotten over it by now.. much more so than some of the fans that's for sure.

Besides, there is a lesson there for the players to learn from. Not everyone who preaches do the right thing at all times, does so themselves. It doesn't make Edsall a bad person, and what he did may have hurt some feelings, but isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. The players are young adults, and if this is the worst thing that happens in their lives, they are all going to have good lives.

Reaction Score
"Big time college sports" is no excuse for not doing what is right. The most important aspect of character is how you treat others. It should not matter whether you are in the "Little League" or "big time college sports". Randy owed it to the team to tell them in person he was leaving. His not doing so was wrong, and went against what he taught. It was hypocritical of Randy to have Todman tell the team, in person, that he would not be back and withhold the fact that he was leaving too. If Randy was going to Maryland, and knew that before the game, he should have gone ahead and publicly announced it. A big time college coach should do the right thing and if not coaching in a bowl game is a consequence - so be it.

One question -- between having Edsall quit out of the blue while preparing for the bowl, or leaving the way he did, do you really believe the players would have wanted him to leave early? Really?

It is a shame that the world of college sports has become so devoid of ethics and morals. But to blame an individual for playing along seems harsh. Especially to those who have left employers/law firms in sensitive situations and actually have had to struggle with these issues.

Reaction Score
I don't know about everybody else, but IMO he gave the players a raw deal. I'm sure that they were devastated, coming back from a lopsided loss & having to hear from friends & family members that their coach had left. Heartless & cowardly doesn't even begin to cover it!

And the players would have refrained from Tweeting the World immediately after the "Team meeting". Wasn't gonna happen. Randy left the only way he could, if being fair to himself (wanting to coach in the Fiesta Bowl) and wanting to avoid pissing off his new employers before he even got started. Let's stop beating him up on this matter - there are plenty of other shortcomings still available.

Wow, Connecticut still doesn't get this big time sports thing the way the rest of the country does.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Wow, Connecticut still doesn't get this big time sports thing the way the rest of the country does.
Yes, there being a lack of multiple-championship teams at the University and all.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I don't mind that Edsall didn't let anyone know of his intentions until after the Fiesta. I do mind that he didn't tell his team before getting on that plane to Maryland.

Reaction Score
One question -- between having Edsall quit out of the blue while preparing for the bowl, or leaving the way he did, do you really believe the players would have wanted him to leave early? Really?

It is a shame that the world of college sports has become so devoid of ethics and morals. But to blame an individual for playing along seems harsh. Especially to those who have left employers/law firms in sensitive situations and actually have had to struggle with these issues.

Biz . . . you are not gonna believe this but . . . that post is so on point. Couldn't agree more (don't go second guessing yourself now, my friend). Taking it a step further - the "devoid of ethics and morals" piece - the same can be said about this whole business of conference raids, conference abandonment, television possible orchestrating many of these moves, etc. Where is congressional oversight when you need it. How much time did they waste on Mark McQwire, Sammy Sosa, Rafael Palmiero, et all for possible (most assuredly) taking steriods. Who cares about 1998 and substances that MLB did not test for? Maybe hot dogs & beer in prodigious amounts should have been tested for in Ruth's era. Point??? Powers to be need to be forward looking and make sure that College Football doesn't go overboard with its oligopolistic tendencies while excluding all others. Orrin Hatch had the right idea and then Utah soon after got an invite to the PAC-12. Problem solved.

Reaction Score
I don't mind that Edsall didn't let anyone know of his intentions until after the Fiesta. I do mind that he didn't tell his team before getting on that plane to Maryland.

Was Phoenix a "no Tweet Zone". From Randy's mouth, to the cell phone tweets & TXTs, to the ESPN newroom, while still waiting on the tarmac. Be glad that Maryland didn't insist on an earlier announcement. That would have left UConn without Randy to call for that . . . 4th and goal (one foot), just have your QB fall forward, but let's instead try a slow developing sweep with our #2 back, Oklahoma's ball play. Hmmmm????? On second thought.

Reaction Score
For TDH, big time athletics = Elite pass offense in CFB

If an Elite pass offense in CFB was the "make or break" in big time athletics . . . the Huskies would be playing with Trinity in the New England Small College Conference . . . and maybe struggling even there.

Reaction Score
And that is the unfortunately logical and well said analysis that we have shied away from for the past year in our anger, disappointment or, in some cases, general dislike for the man. No coach that leaves his program for upward mobility (whether Edsall was right or wrong with that is another matter) leaves his old fan base happy. Why is that? It's because the new school, given the recruiting calendar, needs their new coach in place right after the end of the regular season, and those schools that wait until the coach finishes his bowl game with his prior team without having made an announcement are at a huge disadvantage. See, e.g., Kelley, Brian and Rodriguez, Rich.

Edsall, to his credit, presumably would not leave UConn until after the game. The most reasonable explanation for what happened is the calendar that he followed (fly to Maryland and accept and announce on the spot) was the only one UM would allow him if they were waiting for the bowl game. And, while obviously you'd rather he have told the team face to face, it was one thousand times less of a disservice to UConn to leave the way he did than it would have been to have taken the maryland job on December 15 to 20th. It sucks, but that is the way college football worked, works and will work and has nothing to do with Esall. When we all rise up and say "I don't care about winning -- football should first and foremost be about the players" then call me.

Now, if someone can really give me any evidence whatsoever that Maryland said to Edsall "do you need 24 hours to notify your players via conference call" and Esall said "no, not necessary," than what I said is not applicable. But in the 11 months since the Fiesta Bowl, that story has never come out.

Under any tight timeline scenario, he could have told them in the locker room, face to face, after the game. I believe he had Todman tell the team after the Fiesta Bowl that he, Toddman, was going to apply for the NFL draft.

Reaction Score
Under any tight timeline scenario, he could have told them in the locker room, face to face, after the game. I believe he had Todman tell the team after the Fiesta Bowl that he, Toddman, was going to apply for the NFL draft.

You are assuming that the Maryland job was actually "done," that it didn't require a face to face meeting and shaking of hands (even if a formality). Is that a possibility? Yes. Do you know that? No. You are also assuming that maryland was o.k. with Edsall telling anyone prior to him getting to College Park, which may or may not be the case. Personally, before I actually attack the character of another human being I make sure I know the facts I'm relying on are correct, and not mere speculation, but to each their own.

Reaction Score

Is this what you want to believe or is that what you actually think the truth is?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Touchdown Husky, that would be the 300th-hit-seeking Mr. Palmeri to you.

Reaction Score
Psst. UConn football. UCONN FOOTBALL. vs. Cincinatti. Bowl elgibility.
2011 season.

Sooner than later, apparently a lot sooner than later, many of you are going to realize what many else have realized for a while now. Either Randy Edsall needed to change, or he needed to go for UCONN FOOTBALL to continue to grow.

He's Maryland's now. Let it go.

http://youtu.be/mr7hJowNX5w?t=20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member