Edsall at 8/22 Middlesex Chamber of Commerce Breakfast | The Boneyard

Edsall at 8/22 Middlesex Chamber of Commerce Breakfast

Reaction Score
Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller
Randy Edsall said true freshman Christian Haynes will start at offensive guard for #UConn

Alex Putterman‏ @AlexPutterman
Randy Edsall has announced some depth chart decisions this morning. - David Pindell starting QB with Marvin Washington backing him up - True freshman Christian Haynes to start at right guard

Alex Putterman‏ @AlexPutterman
UConn’s starting secondary will be sophomores Tyler Coyle, Omar Fortt, Tahj Herring-Wilson and true freshman Keyshawn Paul, Edsall said.

#UConn coach Randy Edsall believes this could best group of freshmen he’s brought into program in both of his stints events n Storrs

Randy Edsall talking up true freshmen DE Travis Jones, LB Kevon Jones, CB Keyshawn Paul

Kyle Buss will be primary punt returner, Keyion Dixon the top kickoff returner according to #UConn coach Randy Edsall

Reaction Score
Randy Edsall Reveals Starters At Key Positions, With Several Freshmen Getting Nods

>>Edsall said he had decided on Haynes over junior Brian Cespedes after consulting some of the Huskies’ veteran offensive linemen, who spoke highly of the freshman. UConn’s other starting offensive linemen, as expected, will be center Ryan Crozier, left guard Cam DeGeorge and tackles Matt Peart and Ryan Van Demark.<<

>>Edsall praised numerous players during his talk — none more than freshman defensive lineman Travis Jones, a New Haven native. “Wait until you see him on the field,” Edsall said. “He’s an athlete. Yeah, he’s got a lot of things he’s got to work on, but you talk about the attitude and work ethic he has, and the kid always has a smile on his face. … Just a wonderful kid.”<<

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
"...believes it's the best group of freshmen he's ever brought in during both of his stints in Storrs..."

Wow, that is quite a statement from HCRE, considering some of the talent in his freshmen classes during the Big East BCS good ole days. If that's even half true, we can expect good things to come, maybe not so much in 2018, but the long term future may be bright.

Reaction Score
... there once was a time

We brought in Scott Lutrus, Lawrence Wilson, Greg Lloyd together. Darrian Beavers, Eli Thomas, Kevon Jones playing Linebacker slots efficiently and with passion can make that woeful defense last year look far more formidable. (that is not to knock Joseph, Brittain, Diggs, Stapleton) Spirit more than anything was missing. Youthful speedy aggressive hitting.

Reaction Score
... there once was a time

We brought in Scott Lutrus, Lawrence Wilson, Greg Lloyd together. Darrian Beavers, Eli Thomas, Kevon Jones playing Linebacker slots efficiently and with passion can make that woeful defense last year look far more formidable. (that is not to knock Joseph, Brittain, Diggs, Stapleton) Spirit more than anything was missing. Youthful speedy aggressive hitting.

Along with those guys we've had Fincher, Lansanah, Sio Moore, Smallwood..........guys who could really play those positions. The falloff over the last few years at LB has been quite dramatic.

Reaction Score
Along with those guys we've had Fincher, Lansanah, Sio Moore, Smallwood.....guys who could really play those positions. The falloff over the last few years at LB has been quite dramatic.

Corner was just as dramatic. From Justin Perkins to Darius and Branch to Jazz to Blidi and Dwayne. And then last year. Ugh.

Reaction Score
Corner was just as dramatic. From Justin Perkins to Darius and Branch to Jazz to Blidi and Dwayne. And then last year. Ugh.

Yup!

........and none of those guys was highly recruited or rated by the recruiting sites. On defense in particular, Edsall has been able to consistently find excellent athletes that can compete and play at the next level. P was a disaster, but he brought some athletes in. I don't think Diaco would know how to recruit an athlete if one dropped on his head.

We have to hope Edsall replicates what he was able to do on his first stint here.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Oddly enough from Randy left til Diaco killed it- instead of having great corners, we developed great safeties- Byron Jones, Andrew Adams and Obi!

Reaction Score
Fuller: Freshman class draws rave reviews from UConn football coach Randy Edsall

>>“Sometimes people get scared when they have to play freshmen,” Edsall said, “but the one thing is that this group of freshmen from top to bottom — this isn’t banquet talk — I think they’re the best group top to bottom that I’ve brought in since I’ve been here at Connecticut. I’ve been really impressed with the freshmen, their maturity, how they’ve adapted.”<<

>>”We thought we had a good group but you never know until they get here,” Edsall said. “You watch them perform, you watch them do certain things on the field. Now after having the number of practices that we’ve had and seeing them, I think top to bottom it’s the most solid class that we’ve had since I’ve been here — both stints.”<<

Reaction Score
That’s a really good point. Edsall often found athletes who might not be recognized as FOOTBALL players. Outruns was a 1/2 star running back but a terrific athlete and a fine linebacker. Probably would not have been a great running back though. Same with the fullback from Attleboro Mass. 2 star linebacker who Edsall moved to fullback.

Reaction Score
Fuller: Freshman class draws rave reviews from UConn football coach Randy Edsall

>>“Sometimes people get scared when they have to play freshmen,” Edsall said, “but the one thing is that this group of freshmen from top to bottom — this isn’t banquet talk — I think they’re the best group top to bottom that I’ve brought in since I’ve been here at Connecticut. I’ve been really impressed with the freshmen, their maturity, how they’ve adapted.”<<

>>”We thought we had a good group but you never know until they get here,” Edsall said. “You watch them perform, you watch them do certain things on the field. Now after having the number of practices that we’ve had and seeing them, I think top to bottom it’s the most solid class that we’ve had since I’ve been here — both stints.”<<

If true this is quite an accomplishment considering we now recruit uphill against Rutgers, Cuse, and BC.

Never forget that what these young football players want more than anything is to be coached up by professionals who know how to get players into the NFL, that means much more than conference affiliation, Randy can sell that proven track record of NFL alumni.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I’m on vacation this week, so checking in to the ‘yard periodically. These quotes from Edsall have me super jacked for next Thursday. Freshman will make some mistakes, but I will take that in trade for more physicality on defense and more big plays on offense.

I’m not that surprised that Paul has won the CB job, thought his tape showed the most of the new kids. I am surprised by Haynes, very pleasantly surprised.

Sounds like we might see a blend of three mlbs and let the game tape decide things.

I’m a little worried that Buss and Dixon have the PR and KR duties (injury risk), would have thought those would have gone to guys like Burnett and perhaps Scott....but I guess Edsall is committed to winning with his best on the field for all roles which you can’t argue against.

Maybe our year will be defined by Pindell’s legs, Paul or someone to make at least one of the two Corner positions solid and for Kevon Jones to master the mlb position. I know there are a dozen other areas of concern and new names to be excited about, but I think these are three keys.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom