EDD question | The Boneyard

EDD question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
This question is directed to those of you who have seen Delle Donne play in the WNBA.

While she was at Delaware, her talent was universally acknowledged. But sometimes there were mutterings about her occasional lack of hustle and stamina. I recall some statements on the BY that had she stayed at UConn, Geno would have had her in better physical condition, and he certainly would not have tolerated any lack of hustle.

I know she has had a great season numbers-wise but I wonder if there is any sign of this tendency now that she is playing professionally?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
It doesn't show up in the numbers she has put up this year impressive for a rookie.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think in college her endurance might have looked suspect because she was constantly double-teamed, for the most part. Without a strong supporting cast she had to do pretty much everything, which will take it out of anyone. If she had been at UConn, the strength and conditioning program was probably better, yes, but she would have also had Maya, Tina, etc. to take a lot of the pressure off of constantly trying to get open and make something happen with the ball.

Also, she suffered from Lyme disease one year, if I'm not mistaken. Which makes it all the more impressive that she finished so highly in NCAA scoring...she missed a lot of games in her four years.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
She has her own gait, which to some indicates the issues you mentioned.
But she was a superstar on a mediocre team, she would carry them as far as she could.
Some sense of economy of motion was a way of saving as much of herself as possible for the big minutes.
This was always a non-issue.

Reaction Score
I don't like EDD but what all others have said above I agree with. She had to conserve energy because so much of the offense/opposing defense was geared toward her.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And she also had to stay out of foul trouble so on occasions she was not very aggressive defensively. All those issues no longer pertain, though I am not sure about the Lime disease issues - she may still have some side effects, which can drain stamina.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
In college I also think it was mostly between the Lyme disease, a need to avoid defensive fouls, and the fact that, in many of the games, she was so much more talented than the opposition.

In the couple of WNBA games I have seen her play, I don't detect any lack of effort. And, if she does conserve energy at times, but still is putting up the numbers her team needs, well, a lot of players in the W do that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom