EDD Question | The Boneyard

EDD Question

Reaction Score
Fellow Boneyarders I need your input......................
Would someone please enlighten this dumb (of course, I have the privilege of describing myself!) boneyarder with the answer to this question re EDD. The word is that she wanted to be traded to Washington so that she would be closer to her disabled sister. Now I completely understand that - - but what I don't understand is if that is the reason, why does she contract to play in Europe/Asia during the WNBA off season? This discrepancy just doesn't "compute" with my thought process so I am hoping the smart boneyarders out there can enlighten me....... Thanks

Reaction Score
Fellow Boneyarders I need your input.......
Would someone please enlighten this dumb (of course, I have the privilege of describing myself!) boneyarder with the answer to this question re EDD. The word is that she wanted to be traded to Washington so that she would be closer to her disabled sister. Now I completely understand that - - but what I don't understand is if that is the reason, why does she contract to play in Europe/Asia during the WNBA off season? This discrepancy just doesn't "compute" with my thought process so I am hoping the smart boneyarders out there can enlighten me.. Thanks

This was the first year EDD played over seas and was only going to play during the championship time. She would have only played over there for a very short period of time. As we know, that ended shortly after due to her lyme disease

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Would someone please enlighten this dumb (of course, I have the privilege of describing myself!) boneyarder with the answer to this question re EDD. The word is that she wanted to be traded to Washington so that she would be closer to her disabled sister. Now I completely understand that - - but what I don't understand is if that is the reason, why does she contract to play in Europe/Asia during the WNBA off season? This discrepancy just doesn't "compute" with my thought process so I am hoping the smart boneyarders out there can enlighten me.. Thanks

I don't think wanting to be close to her sister was the only reason she wanted to go to Washington. She was unhappy with the Sky for multiple reasons. Also this:

"Delle Donne said in a podcast interview last month that she's looking for a place for her and fiancee Amanda Clifton to raise children.

"You got to think about your family and where you want to be living and where you want them to grow up and make some traditions," she told Howard Megdal on "Locked on Women's Basketball."

More here - Elena Delle Donne unhappy with Sky, wants out of Chicago, sources say

Lastly, Geew1992 is right, she was only scheduled to do a short stint in China as it was.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that "word"-wanting to be closer to her sister is something I have heard about EDD since she left UCONN. The recent articles about her made it very clear that she was comfortable with her life in Chicago.
More likely EDD was upset with the Sky management for 1) Trading Sylvia Fowles in 2015 because EDD was the league MVP and the Sky were in Championship contention. 2) Firing coach Pokey Chatman this fall.
@Orangutan is our resident Sky expert and might know better.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that "word"-wanting to be closer to her sister is something I have heard about EDD since she left UCONN. The recent articles about her made it very clear that she was comfortable with her life in Chicago.
More likely EDD was upset with the Sky management for 1) Trading Sylvia Fowles in 2015 because EDD was the league MVP and the Sky were in Championship contention. 2) Firing coach Pokey Chatman this fall.
@Orangutan is our resident Sky expert and might know better.

Well, they didn't have a choice but to trade Sylvia, as she refused to play for Chicago. But she and EDD may have had similar complaints with the organization. Also worth noting that Epiphanny Prince basically quit on the Sky and was ultimately traded for Cappie Pondexter. Swin Cash was also traded away. It was noted in one of the articles I read that she was unhappy with the player turnover.

I personally doubt that firing Pokey had anything to do with it. It's hard for me to believe that Sky management is so stupid that they wouldn't check with their franchise player before firing a coach. I'm guessing that they knew EDD was moving on before firing Pokey.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
As for playing overseas, there is far, far more money to be made in Europe or China than in playing for the WNBA - for the superstars, like DT,Bird, Maya, EDD, Griner, etc., hundreds of thousands of dollars more. This is why some players will, occasionally take a WNBA season off, after playing in Europe and the US for a few years' running. If I'm making 110K here, but over 500K overseas, well, it's the overseas job that's gonna provide for my post-playing days.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom