EDD not Playing OverSeas | The Boneyard

EDD not Playing OverSeas

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Yes it would be nice if they could just make enough in the WNBA.

Could be that she gives up the WNBA eventually so that she can play less and make more money. China may be an option for her since they pay so well in that league.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
First, let's talk about making "more" rather than "enough." Plenty of us live all year on what WNBAers make in 3.5 months. (and we don't get per d's, housing allowances etc.)

So, making "more" would require extending the season.....which means a lot of things would have to happen to the popularity of the game, in particular, people being willing to pay higher ticket prices.... Remember what happened with UConn fans and ticket prices?

Anyone know what non-Americans make playing bball?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
First, let's talk about making "more" rather than "enough." Plenty of us live all year on what WNBAers make in 3.5 months. (and we don't get per d's, housing allowances etc.)

So, making "more" would require extending the season.....which means a lot of things would have to happen to the popularity of the game, in particular, people being willing to pay higher ticket prices.... Remember what happened with UConn fans and ticket prices?

Anyone know what non-Americans make playing bball?
Well ... the average salary in the WNBA is $72,000 which is certainly a living wage, but the league minimum is $35,000 which is not a lot of money. Add in that these folks unlike most people have agents who take 10% and if they want to continue playing in the WNBA and are not going to play overseas need to both maintain their fitness and hone their skills during the 8.5 months they are not with their team - which means access to both basketball courts and trainers who also need to be paid. On top of that, they realize they are honing their craft for a job that has an expiration date.
EDD is obviously not making the minimum and no doubt gets some serious endorsement deals as well, but she more than others with her medical history can probably hear the clock ticking a little louder than others.
I don't feel sorry for these players - they are working at something they love. But I do not exactly envy their lifestyle. In comparison to men's professional athletes they are very poorly compensated, in comparison to women's tennis players or golfers, they are very poorly compensated, and yet they are in training the same 12 months a year whether they play just the WNBA season or also overseas.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I don't get the feeling that her family is hurting for money.
And I agree about the endorsements.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
An unfortunate consequence for people who contract Lyme's Disease and suffer it for a long period undiagnosed is that you are never truly rid of it. It lies in wait in you, waiting to strike when other things weaken your immune system. The back will get better. Maybe something will come along to give chronic Lyme's sufferers relief. She is a great talent with a big heart and I wish her good health and a long, fruitful career.

Reaction Score
EDD didn't play overseas last year either. I gather between her WNBA salary & endorsement money she doesn't have to and given her health situation it is better for her that she doesn't.

Skylar Diggins also makes enough money from endorsements that she doesn't play overseas either.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Could be that she gives up the WNBA eventually so that she can play less and make more money. China may be an option for her since they pay so well in that league.

I strongly doubt that happens. You can barely get her out of Delaware for a WNBA season. What happens if she has a lyme flare-up in China? Makes traveling back to Delaware to see her doctors much harder.

I think some people's bodies just aren't built for the year-long grind and hers is one. She has said the back has always been a problem area.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Per Crain's Chicago Business:

"Ms. Delle Donne has sponsor agreements with Nike, DuPont and nutritional supplement company Genesis Today worth a total of about $250,000 a year, according to a source familiar with the deals."

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I strongly doubt that happens. You can barely get her out of Delaware for a WNBA season. What happens if she has a lyme flare-up in China? Makes traveling back to Delaware to see her doctors much harder.

I think some people's bodies just aren't built for the year-long grind and hers is one. She has said the back has always been a problem area.

Would this eliminate her from playing for the US when it requires extensive travel time, such as this current trip? How is she going to withstand the rigors of a full WNBA season and then spend a month traveling without running the same risk? Is she going to be limited to WNBA games for the rest of her career?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
EDD didn't play overseas last year either. I gather between her WNBA salary & endorsement money she doesn't have to and given her health situation it is better for her that she doesn't.

Skylar Diggins also makes enough money from endorsements that she doesn't play overseas either.

Ahhhhh....to be young and beautiful. Sponsors pay good money for that. Can anyone say Anna Kournikova?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Would this eliminate her from playing for the US when it requires extensive travel time, such as this current trip? How is she going to withstand the rigors of a full WNBA season and then spend a month traveling without running the same risk? Is she going to be limited to WNBA games for the rest of her career?

I would think it would be a risk to play for USA basketball after a full WNBA season. But she's said that it's a lifelong dream, so it's one I'm sure she's willing to take.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Probably not - USA basketball is usually 3-5 weeks abroad vs. an international season that is 5-7 months. And I am pretty sure that lime disease flare ups are pretty standard that are treated the same way each time, so I doubt have a specific doctor on location would be necessary.

Reaction Score
Ahhhhh....to be young and beautiful. Sponsors pay good money for that. Can anyone say Anna Kournikova?
That's a poor comparison. Skylar upped her game this year and was one of the elite players of the league in only her second year. Her looks didn't get her there. It was her hard offseason work and talent.

Shoni needs to follow her lead and transform herself this offseason.

Reaction Score

I think that maybe she worked too hard last offseason. She sounded like she took too much responsibility for the Sky's first round exit that year. She had already gone through a college season of taking Delaware to the NCAA's then took the Sky to their first playoff spot.
She may need to find a more comfortable place in the middle to rest a little. Especially if she makes that much with the endorsements.

Reaction Score
That's a poor comparison. Skylar upped her game this year and was one of the elite players of the league in only her second year. Her looks didn't get her there. It was her hard offseason work and talent.

Shoni needs to follow her lead and transform herself this offseason.

Right, the same things that got her the photos in the SI swimsuit edition.

Reaction Score

If they were going to have that salary for 40 years, then that's a fair comparison. But they get a WNBA salary for 10 years (if that) and then they've gotta find something else to do. And they're starting 10 years later than everyone else. They need that W salary to be covering the first few years of their post-BB career when they could be unemployed or making entry-level wages.

Reaction Score

Great minds easttexastrash, great minds....;)

I compared Skylar Diggins to Anna Kournikova on another board- example of two athletes rewarded all out of proportion to their athletic accomplishments. Boy did I get criticized for that....:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Great minds easttexastrash, great minds....;)

I compared Skylar Diggins to Anna Kournikova on another board- example of two athletes rewarded all out of proportion to their athletic accomplishments. Boy did I get criticized for that....:rolleyes:
In a subjective area here, but I think Sky Diva's athletic accomplishments are greater than Anna's, but Anna is MUCH better looking. And the combination of the whole package for each has resulted in much more income for Anna. Of course Anna's sport is more popular and more highly commercialized than WBB, so hard to compare. But IMO Anna has "model" looks and Skylar is far from that.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
But IMO Anna has "model" looks and Skylar is far from that.

And yet, she's modeled in multiple (at least SI and Essence, probably forgetting some) magazines. I think she looks fairly ordinary on the court but she "cleans up" really well.

Reaction Score
And yet, she's modeled in multiple (at least SI and Essence, probably forgetting some) magazines. I think she looks fairly ordinary on the court but she "cleans up" really well.
meh... Like I said - subjective

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I think Skylar is breath taking when she is off the court and glammed up.

Reaction Score
I think Skylar is breath taking when she is off the court and glammed up.
her and EDD are very attractive young women. As much as I hate to admit looks will effect these things, these two should be marketed to the nation at large because they are pretty an(not that they aren't great players) something that Griner or to a lesser extent D don't have. I think the WNBA needs this to reach a larger fan base (sadly).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom