EDD Chasing Jackie Stiles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Elena's name is all over the UDel record books:

http://www.bluehens.com/sportsinfo/womens_basketball/wbb-records.pdf

She is 81 points--or 3 games, most likely--from breaking the Delaware career scoring record.

Some stats:

Freshman--774 points, 26.7 ppg, missed 4 games

Sophomore--557 points, 25.3 ppg, missed 12 games

Junior--263 points, 29.2 ppg, missed 0 games

Some math: UDel will play about 34 games per season, depending on post-season play. If Elena plays 25 more games this year plus 34 games next year (assuming she stays in college), and averages her current 29.2 ppg, that would total 1,722 more points. Her career total would be 3,316. Jackie Stiles has the modern record of 3,393. If UDel goes deeper into the tourney, the NCAA career record may be within reach.

Reaction Score
If Ms Delle Donne likes to shoot and score, then her choice could not have worked out better for her.
Jackie Stiles is one of my all time favorite WCBB players. IMHO, no one player took a team farther than Ms Stiles in the history of WCBB.
My feeling is that if Ms Delle Donne returns for her senior season, the all time scoring record will be hers.

Reaction Score
And both of them bailed on Storrs, one earlier than the other. We just move on...

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
What would you rather have, scoring records or national championships?

Reaction Score
Isn't she the girl that gave the interview a few years back where she said she hated basketball since she was 13 years old and was giving it up to play volleyball? Did she start playing basketball again? Didn't realize she could play next year, won't she be 23 going on 24 before next season is over, you think she would still want to be playing with and against 18 to 21 year old kids instead of calling it a day in college?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She'll be 23 next September. She was not 18 until the fall of her freshman year of college. Many kids are 22-23 during their senior year of college, especially, the many 5th year players.

Reaction Score
This is all well and good but what does this record mean when the competition a given player setting a "record" plays against is .... well lets just say it is what it is.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This is all well and good but what does this record mean when the competition a given player setting a "record" plays against is .... well lets just say it is what it is.
I would say that the competition Delaware faces is comparable to what Southwest Missouri State faced. Neither Elena nor Jackie played in a major conference. Maya, Chamique, et al. played major competition. They also played more games.

I didn't say it explicitly, but the 16 games that Elena missed may be the difference between passing Stiles and not passing her.

Reaction Score
I would say that the competition Delaware faces is comparable to what Southwest Missouri State faced. Neither Elena nor Jackie played in a major conference. Maya, Chamique, et al. played major competition. They also played more games.

I didn't say it explicitly, but the 16 games that Elena missed may be the difference between passing Stiles and not passing her.[/quote" her team is in

That may be so but in the Delaware case they play a lot of not very good teams every season, so it is in that respect easier for a EDD type of player to rack up points, I'm certain that a number of the best shooters on the top div-1 teams could be doing the same at that level of competition, so that is what I mean by what does this record mean in relationship to the whole of Div-1...

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
Let's remember Stiles was 5'8, not 6'5. She had to do a lot more than walk back and forth on the court to score those 3300 points

Reaction Score
She'll be 23 next September. She was not 18 until the fall of her freshman year of college. Many kids are 22-23 during their senior year of college, especially, the many 5th year players.

Isn't she the girl that gave the interview a few years back where she said she hated basketball since she was 13 years old and was giving it up to play volleyball? Did she start playing basketball again? Didn't realize she could play next year, won't she be 23 going on 24 before next season is over, you think she would still want to be playing with and against 18 to 21 year old kids instead of calling it a day in college?
5th year students would be her age or majority older!
If Ms Delle Donne likes to shoot and score, then her choice could not have worked out better for her.
Jackie Stiles is one of my all time favorite WCBB players. IMHO, no one player took a team farther than Ms Stiles in the history of WCBB.
My feeling is that if Ms Delle Donne returns for her senior season, the all time scoring record will be hers.[/quote

I didn't say it explicitly, but the 16 games that Elena missed may be the difference between passing Stiles and not passing her.
I am not sure about you Mil. The issues she has had with basketball,being away from her sister and family are well documented. I really feel for her, I admit what bothers me is that,her struggles impacted 2 years of recruiting for UCONN
and possibly 2 National Championships. It was not till she had been at school for at least one day that she left!As time goes by her emotional struggles over ride the Basketball situation she put us in. I would love to have the opportunity to talk to her. I hope she is at peace with herself and having had the opportunity to spend much more time with her ssister,
For those not clear how she impacted the BB program. The #1 player declared for CT,signed her letter of intent,and was considered a Huskie until July 2008. Recruiting wise we felt we were more than set with her aboard,so did not attempt to recruit an elite replacement, Her deciscion to go home and attend Delaware not only impacted recruiting for 2008,but also 2009 since by then it was too late to replace her. Since we are an elite program,we would have been in position to obtain an elite player. She was and is obviousely much more than a fringe player. Her situation was anything,but a normal situation,given her sister. At Delaware she has been able to be close to home! I am,at this point happy for her and hoping she is at peace<WHICH SHE WAS NOT!
She may seem to have been around longer,and the year of volleyball,may confuse folks as to how long she has been in school? She is in her 4th yr,and since she did not play BB her ist year she can if you chooses return for her 4th BB season ansd 5th year in school.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No matter what the competition is it is very hard to score consistently at a level to achieve the numbers EDD has put up. It is even more so when one realizes how many games she missed do to illness and how many more her performance was compromised because of those same health issues.

Reaction Score
No matter what the competition is it is very hard to score consistently at a level to achieve the numbers EDD has put up. It is even more so when one realizes how many games she missed do to illness and how many more her performance was compromised because of those same health issues.

For me it'll be more interesting to see how far EDD can take her team in the NCAA tournament. Jackie Stiles made it to the Final Four. I think EDD will take them to the Sweet 16, but I don't see them going any further this year. If she returns for her Senior year who knows?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
EDD is a wonderful player and a fine human being who for whatever reason, rejected us, went to a lesser program and is demonstrating for all to see that yes, she is a wonderful BB player.
Surely, we would have won the national championship last year with her.
It would have been almost unfair; Maya and EDD on the same team...C 'mon !
Enjoy her, admire her, get on with your life...
And have a Merry Christmas,

Michael and Mei
Amatique Bay, Guatemala

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
records. Stiles was an awsome shooter and has a great NCAA record. Yet, Lynette Woodard should still get her props at 3,649 points at KU

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree with Red, which is why I said modern record and focused on Stiles. Woodard, Blaze, Miller, Lieberman, and Meyers were among the early greats who are often forgotten.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score

Speaking of fifth year players, interestingly, Kalana Greene, in her fifth year at UConn was still only 22 at the time of the 2010 National Championship. Her birthday is July 13, 1987. She turned 23 in July of 2010. Caroline Doty, who will be a fifth year player next season (as long as she stays healthy), was born August 15, 1989, and is currently 22. She'll be 23 when the 2012-2013 season begins. Heather Buck, who will also be a fifth year player, is a year younger than Caroline, having been born in August 1990, and is currently only 21.

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
I agree with Red, which is why I said modern record and focused on Stiles. Woodard, Blaze, Miller, Lieberman, and Meyers were among the early greats who are often forgotten.

Forgotten by who? Those that thought women's basketball wasn't invented until 1995? BTW, you left Mulkey and Swoopes etal off the list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom