EDD and The Sad State of Providence Basketball | The Boneyard

EDD and The Sad State of Providence Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With 13 minutes left in Monday night's game, EDD and Providence both had 27 points. Only problem for the Friars was that her Delaware teammates also had 27 points and led 54-27 en route to an easy 68-47 win.

The announced crowd at Providence was 187...pathetic.

PC is now 5-6 with losses to Brown, B.U. and URI (currently 1-11).

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Boxscore

local talent Symone Roberts played only 17 minutes and didnt score, wonder if she got injured

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
EDD's 9-10 from the line actually lowers her free throw percentage.....it was a shade over 92%

Reaction Score
Well you gotta consider who's playing and why one would want to watch, it not a big draw in the world of wcbb, attendance is an issue at a lot of venues especially when the contest is between two teams that are not what you could call powerhouses in there respective division. The same thing happens during big east play such as at MM last game at Gample, it was amazingly not near a sellout, fans are tighter with the dollar and they don't more and more want to watch a game that the outcome is decided at the tipoff, especially when its teams like Delaware and Providence.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Look for EDD & Delaware to be in UConn's region in the tournament. They'll definitely make the tournament unless they fall apart in their conference which I don't see happening. Probably end up as a 4 seed or possibly higher if they go undefeated.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
They lost to limousine liberal U??? That's a sad state of affairs. Aren't these kids on scholarship?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Providence County has a population around 620,000 and with any kind of effective marketing they should be able to draw close to 1,000 fans. There's no excuse for their dismal attendance. Its a case where the AD doesn't care enough about WBB to offer promotions that would increase their attendance.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Well, in fairness, I don't think you could pay me to go watch a team that lost to the dregs of the Ivy League, and I'm a fan of WBB. People are preparing for the holidays on top of that. It's a tough catch-22, but it's hard to get bodies in the building to watch a poor product.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think EDD is enough of a draw to bring in a few interested in Woman's college BB, must be real passive there

Reaction Score
Providence County has a population around 620,000 and with any kind of effective marketing they should be able to draw close to 1,000 fans. There's no excuse for their dismal attendance. Its a case where the AD doesn't care enough about WBB to offer promotions that would increase their attendance.

Boy I'd love to see that marketing campaign:
"Come to an obscure part of Providence, on a weeknight, days before Xmas, to watch a terrible basketball team lose badly."

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
"Come to an obscure part of Providence, on a weeknight, days before Xmas, to watch a terrible basketball team lose badly."
Free parking?

dannykuconn

Cheerman of Board
Reaction Score
Worked for me. I was there. Now the lowest attendance game I was at wasn't a UConn game which also happened to be played on Dec 19th three years ago. There was only 200 there.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
They lost to limousine liberal U??? That's a sad state of affairs. Aren't these kids on scholarship?
Hey, that's my alma mater you're talking about! :)

I would think hundreds would show up to get a glimpse of EDD. I'm going to watch her when she's within 20 miles of my place next week.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Hey, that's my alma mater you're talking about! :)

I would think hundreds would show up to get a glimpse of EDD. I'm going to watch her when she's within 20 miles of my place next week.
My dear mother also went there, so I have empirical evidence that the school produces good folks...on top of the LLs. ;)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
My dear mother also went there, so I have empirical evidence that the school produces good folks...on top of the LLs. ;)
Most of those I know who went there were very much blue collar kids. I some cases getting the first college degree in their family. Liberal catholics maybe, but any limosine they the touched would have been under the hood.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
There is a huge LL contingent there. I am not making this up. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Most of those I know who went there were very much blue collar kids. I some cases getting the first college degree in their family. Liberal catholics maybe, but any limosine they the touched would have been under the hood.
Are we talking about Brown?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Providence.
I thought Alex was talking about Universitas Brunensis. He noted that Providence lost to them (and 2 others). You seemed to be talking about Providence, which is why I asked.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
I thought Alex was talking about Universitas Brunensis. He noted that Providence lost to them (and 2 others). You seemed to be talking about Providence, which is why I asked.

Now I know I've slipped a gear...

There I go... agreeing with 3rdbass... The writing is on the wall... it won't be long before I find myself pounding out all manner of well thought out & perfectly reasonable posts. Oh, the woe of me....

I too thought LL U was Brown.

Your Old Chevy Pickup Pal Boo

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Well, in fairness, I don't think you could pay me to go watch a team that lost to the dregs of the Ivy League, and I'm a fan of WBB. People are preparing for the holidays on top of that. It's a tough catch-22, but it's hard to get bodies in the building to watch a poor product.

Dregs of the Ivy League...what does that mean?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Dregs of the Ivy League...what does that mean?
Now, I wouldn't call Brown the dregs of the Ivy League: not while Penn is included!:rolleyes:

"Don't send my son to Harvard, the dying mother said"
"Don't send my son to Princeton, I'd rather see him dead!"
"But, send him off to Darmouth; or, better yet, Cornell!
"And, as for Pennsylvania: I'd see him first in hell!"

Reaction Score
As someone who lived in Providence for 11 years -- granted, some time ago -- I cannot imagine calling Elmhurst, with is a pretty major neighborhood in Providence, "obscure." Would be like calling Asylum Hill in Hartford "obscure,' or Southie in Boston. Or, okay, here's a better example. Would you say the location of Trinity College in Hartford is obscure? If so, I'll go along with the Elmhurst example. What I do know is that obscure does not mean "A place I don't know because I've never been there."

I also didn't recognize the "limousine liberal" description of PC. Way back when I was accepted there (but did not attend), I got the impression a lot of applicants were blue-collar like me, with a significant number of commuter students thrown in.

I was kind of squishy on what the term "limousine liberal" actually meant, so I looked it up and found it was a term coined by an opponent of John Lindsay (remember him?) when he was running for mayor of NYC. Lindsay was a blueblood, and an easy target for his opponents on that score. So, according to Wikipedia, a limousine liberal is "a pejorative term used to illustrate perceived hypocrisy by a political liberal of upper class or upper middle class status; including calls for the use of mass transit while frequently using limousines or private jets, claiming environmental consciousness but driving low MPG sports cars or SUVs, or ostensibly supporting public education while actually sending their children to private schools.

Providence College? Really? I get the private school part, because it is, but the rest?

Meanwhile, I agree with the previous post that suggested that the miserable attendance was a combination of a lousy team and awful marketing. I don't know what happened to this team. They seemed to be on an upswing for a couple of years -- never good, but much better than before, when they were doormats. I do know they ran into some debilitating injuries for a time. Maybe that has happened again.

Truth is, that market has never cared one whit about women's sports, at least not basketball, so even if the team were good, it'd be difficult to persuade the media to provide any kind of coverage. The sports agenda is set by Boston pro sports priorities, with some interest in football and men's basketball.

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
Now I know I've slipped a gear...

There I go... agreeing with 3rdbass... The writing is on the wall... it won't be long before I find myself pounding out all manner of well thought out & perfectly reasonable posts. Oh, the woe of me....

I too thought LL U was Brown.

Your Old Chevy Pickup Pal Boo

Actually, I thought LL U was RISD, but what the hell do bears know?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wow 187. You'd figure there would be more than that just from family and friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom