ECU Game Statistical Analysis | The Boneyard

ECU Game Statistical Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Brimah: 6-7 FG, 12 PTS, 3 REB, 6 BLK, 5 PF
- Lobs/high percentage looks. Hamilton has a great feel for where he is.
- He's finding windows for passes/lobs more consistently lately. Our offense would be incredibly inefficient without him.
- Fouled out, but I'd admit the last two were 2 questionable calls. Still has to nix the soft touch fouling.
- He took out frustration with his swatting, but sold rebounding/positioning for difficult block attempts a few times when he shouldn't have.
- Tonight's game showed that filling out his frame further would help him win a few extra boards. He gets tangled up for the ball often, but doesn't come up with it as often as we'd like to see.

Hamilton: 3-9 FG, 3-4 FT, 0-2 3PM, 9 PTS, 17 REB, 5 AST, 2 TO
- The Lone Negative: 3-7 (43%) on 2P FGA. Cutting down on his off-balance jumpers from 15 ft and making hard cuts to the rim would help his offensive efficiency greatly.
- I'm no scout/coach, but the form on his jump shot looks nice. Should be a very good shooter in time.
- 15 dREB out of UConn's 32 total. 17 total boards. Picked up Brimah's slack. He's not incredibly long, just has a knack for getting to the ball. (Side note: UConn should be great on the boards next year)
- 5 AST, provides for Brimah like a father of 5. Commits hard to shooting sometimes when there's a man open (cue the tough 15 footers), but considering his age and size, great passer.
- Few freshman contribute in as many areas as Hamilton. When he puts it all together... look out.

Boatright: 4-10 FG, 4-9 3PM, 4-4 FT, 16 PTS, 4 REB, 1 AST, 1 TO
- He shot it well from 3 point range, continuing his impressive improvement in that aspect
- Showed poise and kept everyone focused when trailing
- Disappeared for a chunk of the 2nd half (solid Lamb impression), but hit a big 3 in crunch time.
- Bonus: He didn't push himself too hard. Big test against SMU on Sunday.

Purvis: 4-12 FG, 3-8 3PM, 1-2 FT, 12 PTS, 2 REB, 2 AST, 2 TO
- Extremely streaky shooting once again.
- Good to see him bury some 3s in the 2nd half. A complete implosion in front of his family could've done a lot of damage to his psyche.
- He's definitely passing with a purpose more often lately, looking for Brimah or slashers rather than just mindlessly kicking it around the perimeter or being indecisive. Ways to go if he wants to be a CG not just SG.
- Someone with his leaping ability could be doing much better on the glass.
- Still fidgety/nervous and aiming on FTA; avoiding contact on drives

Long thought (sorry):
Polarizing as they come. Purvis is a well built, extremely athletic kid. Lots of potential based on his physical profile. His form, handling and IQ, however, hold him back. He isn't a student of the game. If he understood the nuances, it would definitely help his AST/TO and rebounding. He's very streaky. I think part of this is him overthinking and not playing with a natural fluidity that confidence brings. OTOH, with his form, his J is always going to be somewhat streaky. He's too flawed for the NBA, but has potential to be more productive thanks to his physical tools.

Facey: 2-3 FG, 4 PTS, 2 oREB, 6 REB, 1 STL, 1 BLK, 0 PF
- Some offensive rebounding. Has nice touch, good guy to get 2nd chance opportunities.
- 0 fouls
- Nolan defended better on ball tonight

Samuel: 1-3 FG, 0-2 3PM, 2-2 FT, 4 PTS, 2 REB, 1 AST, 1 TO
- Has been solid on FTs
- Still can't hit a 3, even wide open in garbage time
- Limited TOs
- Crashes defensive boards
- Obvious flaws, but makes slow progression

Calhoun: 0-7 FG, 0-7 3PM, 2-2 FT, 2 PTS, 2 REB, 4 AST, 1 TO
- Couldn't buy a 3
- One dimensional, in trouble lately because he lost the feel for his jumper.
- 4 assists, a high total for him. Likely just a statistical outlier though.

Notable Team Stats: 1 STL, 13-16 (81%) FT
- We have to find a way to create more steals. A few more transition opportunities could make a difference
- Hamilton improving his FT game has definitely made us look better from the stripe. Praying Purvis figures it out next.

I'm new to this forum. Hope this doesn't annoy any of you. I'm a baseball statistician, but have been a huge UConn fan my entire life. I usually make these write-ups just to keep track of the team's progression over the season. If you guys like them, I can post them from now on (if not, don't feel bad to say so). I fully understand that basketball is different from baseball, and that there's more left unexplained by statistics in basketball. I'm not an expert in judging actual talent by any means. I just really enjoy watching the game and using the numbers to explain what I'm seeing. Thanks to whoever reads this!

Reaction Score
Calhoun is not nearly good enough at other parts of the game to be as consistently inefficient as he is.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
- He's finding windows for passes/lobs more consistently lately. Our offense would be incredibly inefficient without him.
- Fouled out, but I'd admit the last two were 2 questionable calls. Still has to nix the soft touch fouling.
- He took out frustration with his swatting, but sold rebounding/positioning for difficult block attempts a few times when he shouldn't have.
- Tonight's game showed that filling out his frame further would help him win a few extra boards. He gets tangled up for the ball often, but doesn't come up with it as often as we'd like to see.

- The Lone Negative: 3-7 (43%) on 2P FGA. Cutting down on his off-balance jumpers from 15 ft and making hard cuts to the rim would help his offensive efficiency greatly.
- I'm no scout/coach, but the form on his jump shot looks nice. Should be a very good shooter in time.
- 15 dREB out of UConn's 32 total. 17 total boards. Picked up Brimah's slack. He's not incredibly long, just has a knack for getting to the ball. (Side note: UConn should be great on the boards next year)
- 5 AST, provides for Brimah like a father of 5. Commits hard to shooting sometimes when there's a man open (cue the tough 15 footers), but considering his age and size, great passer.
- Few freshman contribute in as many areas as Hamilton. When he puts it all together... look out.

- He shot it well from 3 point range, continuing his impressive improvement in that aspect
- Disappeared for a chunk of the 2nd half (solid Lamb impression), but hit a big 3 in crunch time.

- Good to see him bury some 3s in the 2nd half. A complete implosion in front of his family could've done a lot of damage to his psyche.
- He's definitely passing with a purpose more often lately, looking for Brimah or slashers rather than just mindlessly kicking it around the perimeter or being indecisive. Ways to go if he wants to be a CG not just SG.

Long thought (sorry):
Polarizing as they come. Purvis is a well built, extremely athletic kid. Lots of potential based on his physical profile. His form, handling and IQ, however, hold him back. He isn't a student of the game. If he understood the nuances, it would definitely help his AST/TO and rebounding. He's very streaky. I think part of this is him overthinking and not playing with a natural fluidity that confidence brings. OTOH, with his form, his J is always going to be somewhat streaky. He's too flawed for the NBA, but has potential to be more productive thanks to his physical tools.

- Some offensive rebounding. Has nice touch, good guy to get 2nd chance opportunities.
- 0 fouls

- Has been solid on FTs
- Limited TOs

- Couldn't buy a 3

- We have to find a way to create more steals. A few more transition opportunities could make a difference
- Hamilton improving his FT game has definitely made us look better from the stripe. Praying Purvis figures it out next.

I'm new to this forum. Hope this doesn't annoy any of you. I'm a baseball statistician, but have been a huge UConn fan my entire life. I usually make these write-ups just to keep track of the team's progression over the season. If you guys like them, I can post them from now on (if not, don't feel bad to say so). I fully understand that basketball is different from baseball, and that there's more left unexplained by statistics in basketball. I'm not an expert in judging actual talent by any means. I just really enjoy watching the game and using the numbers to explain what I'm seeing. Thanks to whoever reads this!

love this for basketball and please keep this up during the football season as well. thanks for your work!

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Nice job on the stats! Please keep it up.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Long thought (sorry):

- 0 fouls

- Has been solid on FTs
- Limited TOs

- Couldn't buy a 3

Thanks - this is good stuff
Word to the Wise - keep the comments after a victory positive - don't mention that Omar is one dimensional or AB needs to work on rebounding because there is a great chance people may start calling you a negative - it happens.
Me, I think your comments and the stats are GREAT
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member