OT: ' Easy Ed ' Macauley dies at 83 | The Boneyard

OT: ' Easy Ed ' Macauley dies at 83

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
'Easy Ed' Macauley, the lean center of the 50's Boston Celtics died a day or two ago in St. Louis.
Lovers of UCONN BB would have loved and recognized the style of play that had guards Bob Cousey and Bill Sharman release after a defensive rebound and streak down the court, counting on the inevitably perfect outlet pass that set up the Celtics' demoralizing fast break.

It was a wonderful style of basketball, something I never thought I'd see again until I came across the Huskies and woman's college BB.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
'Easy Ed' Macauley, the lean center of the 50's Boston Celtics died a day or two ago in St. Louis.
Lovers of UCONN BB would have loved and recognized the style of play that had guards Bob Cousey and Bill Sharman release after a defensive rebound and streak down the court, counting on the inevitably perfect outlet pass that set up the Celtics' demoralizing fast break.

It was a wonderful style of basketball, something I never thought I'd see again until I came across the Huskies and woman's college BB.

It was indeed excellent basketball. It was, however, not "fast" by today's standards.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Wow, your memory goes back father than mine. As I recollect, the Celtics never won a Championship with Macauley, although he was an All Star player. Red Auerbach stunned the basketball world by trading Macauley plus the rights to Cliff Hagen, for the rights to draft Bill Russell. The rest, as they say is history. However, a great rivalry developed between St. Louis and the Celtics, with the Celtics beating Macualey and the Hawks in 1957. but the Hawks came back in 1958 to beat the Celtics, and earn Macauley his only championship.

That's my recollection, anyway, could be wrong.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
A-69, I think you are right about the championships.
I have a vivid memory of a game at the garden in the early 50's.
I was sitting in the kitchen of my Bronx apartment with had my ear to the radio, a joyous game, the Knicks were up by 20-something in the third.
Then the Celtics got that break going and the Knicks collapsed; utterly fantastic to hear the call.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
When I was a kid. maybe early HS, I remember that McCauley was broadcasting radio for the St. Louis Hawks, who starred the great Bob Pettit and I found that back in CT I could get the St Louis station at night. What I remember was McCauley going homerism nuts when St. Louis beat the heavily favored Lakers in the divisional playoffs to, I think get the series back to St. Louis (I don't think it was the final game but I don't recall). Anyway, McCauley is going wild and yells into the mike something like (maybe exactly like) "you fans are crazy if you don't come out to meet this team at the airport". I know he was a good player, but my memory of him as a player is pretty shadowy.

Reaction Score
A-69, I think you are right about the championships.
I have a vivid memory of a game at the garden in the early 50's.
I was sitting in the kitchen of my Bronx apartment with had my ear to the radio, a joyous game, the Knicks were up by 20-something in the third.
Then the Celtics got that break going and the Knicks collapsed; utterly fantastic to hear the call.

Remember listening to the radio and hearing about Carl Braun, Richie Guerin, Willie Naulls, Kenny Sears, ol' Walter Dukes - and them losing a lot to a lot of teams, including the Celtics. No head phones then, had to keep low so parents wouldn't make me shut it off.

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score

Back when Ed Macauley played for the Celts, the players had to walk through North Station and up the ramp to Boston Garden among the fans and any stray sightseers in order to reach their locker room. I recall bumping into Bones Mckinney and Jim Loscutoff that way, but the funniest sight I remember is Macauley walking up the ramp hand-in hand with his wife. Ed was 6' 8" and his wife (an ex stewardess, I believe) was 4' 9" and it looked like daddy taking his little daughter out for a stroll.

Reaction Score
Wonderful tales, one and all. I recall clearly every one of the guys mentioned, but my memory too dim to add any solid tidbits about any one of them, except for Auerbach perhaps. Bones' running mate when he was with the Washington Capitols in the earliest days of the league
was a sweet shooter named Bob Feerick (spelling prob off). Did see a few of thosemen you've mentioned in an All Star game at MSG. Fun to read your stuff, Gents.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Remember listening to the radio and hearing about Carl Braun, Richie Guerin, Willie Naulls, Kenny Sears, ol' Walter Dukes - and them losing a lot to a lot of teams, including the Celtics. No head phones then, had to keep low so parents wouldn't make me shut it off.
I remember listening to a particular Knicks game on the radio. Although a "home" game, they played the Warriors, and Wilt Chamberlain, in Hershey. PA. I don't know why I listened, because it was a meaningless game. But, Wilt had 69 points at the end of the third quarter. He had already set the record with 78 points against the Lakers earlier that season, and was averaging 50 points per game. In the fourth quarter, the Warriors kept feeding the ball to Wilt, who kept dunking. Near the end, the Knicks kept fouling other Warriors to prevent Wilt from humiliating them, but to no avail. Wilt scored 100 points on that night in 1962. And for some unknown reason, i listened to that game on the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom