Early signing period two weeks away. | The Boneyard

Early signing period two weeks away.

Reaction Score
Actually 13 days. December 20-22.

I think this should really help a team like UConn. Less time for poaching by the big time programs. Most of their coaches are preparing for bowl games so they have less time to spent on evaluating and recruiting.

It will also show which players are really committed and who committed while hoping for a better offer.

Should be an interesting day. It's an early Christmas.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Actually 13 days. December 20-22.

I think this should really help a team like UConn. Less time for poaching by the big time programs. Most of their coaches are preparing for bowl games so they have less time to spent on evaluating and recruiting.
Most schools have coaches on an off the official payroll that do this 24/7-365.
It will also show which players are really committed and who committed while hoping for a better offer.

Should be an interesting day. It's an early Christmas.

Reaction Score
Yes, there are recruiting coordinators and coaches that focus on recruiting. But "most of their coaches are preparing for bowl games so they have less time to spent on evaluating and recruiting." I stand by that.

All coaches recruit. Staffs are usually broken up by geographic regions, the LB coach might have the northeast and the OL coach might have the midwest, etc. And of course, recruits want time with their prospective position coaches. Position coaches also want time in the film room to evaluate prospects.

Those things take time and attention. UConn coaches have been doing that full time since the Cinny game. Coaches in bowl games, especially the head, coach, coordinators and position coaches can only do it part time. Their attention is divided.

There is a huge difference to a recruit between talking with a recruiting coordinator/guy off the payroll or talking to the HC, OC, DC or his prospective position coach.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Yes, there are recruiting coordinators and coaches that focus on recruiting. But "most of their coaches are preparing for bowl games so they have less time to spent on evaluating and recruiting." I stand by that.

All coaches recruit. Staffs are usually broken up by geographic regions, the LB coach might have the northeast and the OL coach might have the midwest, etc. And of course, recruits want time with their prospective position coaches. Position coaches also want time in the film room to evaluate prospects.

Those things take time and attention. UConn coaches have been doing that full time since the Cinny game. Coaches in bowl games, especially the head, coach, coordinators and position coaches can only do it part time. Their attention is divided.

There is a huge difference to a recruit between talking with a recruiting coordinator/guy off the payroll or talking to the HC, OC, DC or his prospective position coach.
It's cute that you think that most schools play by the rules.
FYI- I have played AND coached at a few different levels of football. I am well aware of how this works and I am ok with knowing this from experience.
Game plans for the bowl games are already in place. That is not an ongoing thing. They have X amount of practices and meetings. Not a whole lot of time in the grand scheme of things so guess what....yeah they are in fact engaged with recruiting right now and it is not a whole lot less than what you think, especially with today's social media platform.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I will disagree with, form personal experience, but please carry on.

I'm going with @31GuardTrap on this one @Palatine ....see evidence below:

Reaction Score
I'm going with @31GuardTrap on this one @Palatine ....see evidence below:

You would agree with anyone versus me including Charles Manson.

But that doesn't change the fact that time is a limited resource and coaches in bowl games have divided attention.

The fact that anyone wouldn't understand this, and why it helps UConn, is amazing.

Reaction Score
Whether its true or not about some P5 schools preoccupied with bowl games and "no time" for early signing efforts, I'm still worried about UConn's success with oral commitments to date.

Most established P5 schools probably do not have any fears of their oral commitments bolting during early signing.

However, after UConn's on field performance the last two years, being pretty close to the very bottom of BCS performance ratings in various categories, it wouldn't surprise me if some of UConn's oral commits DO NOT sign early. They may have a wait and see attitude if better opportunities are still offered after bowl games, when P5 and G5 schools have almost two months to determine if there is anyone worth poaching from UConn or other G5 schools to fill in some vacancies, if any.

Reaction Score
While I think ESP will have benefits for UConn, I disagree with premise of this for 2 reasons, one of which was well stated, above. The other is that for this to be a benefit, you'd have to believe (a) the kid was never spoken to before by the bowl team and (b)he'd be swayed by the, "hey, because we sucked, I can be here to meet with you - come join us.

We will find plenty of kids to elevate the program, but I don't think NOT making a bowl gives us an advantage

Reaction Score
Football recruits weekend this weekend @ UConn. Will be a busy weekend for folks with many things planned. Hope it all goes well.....hopefully see Jonathon in the night Hartford skyline over the Rent.....

Reaction Score
Football recruits weekend this weekend @ UConn. Will be a busy weekend for folks with many things planned. Hope it all goes well.....hopefully see Jonathon in the night Hartford skyline over the Rent.....

The majority of kids on campus this weekend are already 2018 commits. There are a few non-commits (Uguak (DL), Metz (DL) (today) (DL) and one more ? DL - more in 2018 Recruiting Thread)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom