Early Calhoun Teams Had Ugly Offense | The Boneyard

Early Calhoun Teams Had Ugly Offense

Reaction Score
I remember they played with such defensive intensity without high ranked talent they were overachievers. We now are underachievers with talent. You want to talk about coaching energy? Players who missed their assignments were in fear of their lives. KO is too nice to threaten these players. No ranting, no swearing. Fans behind the bench told stories. One of the differences is that in the very OBE his teams did not have to play national championship contenders before conference play. The AAC is get it done early or your almost finished. An offense without assists and at least some easy baskets is an ugly thing to watch.

Reaction Score
I’m surprised he didn’t sit Jalen after the first travel. Take a seat young blood. Need to play better than that.

Reaction Score
Playing him w/ 3 fouls and ~8 mins left in the 1st half is telling of KO's coaching. Did KO give up with 8 mins to go in the 1st half? What a shytshow.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I remember they played with such defensive intensity without high ranked talent they were overachievers. We now are underachievers with talent. You want to talk about coaching energy? Players who missed their assignments were in fear of their lives. KO is too nice to threaten these players. No ranting, no swearing. Fans behind the bench told stories. One of the differences is that in the very OBE his teams did not have to play national championship contenders before conference play. The AAC is get it done early or your almost finished. An offense without assists and at least some easy baskets is an ugly thing to watch.

Really? Did they play lazily on both ends of the court? Did they never box out? Did they forget that passing is permitted? Did they stand like statues whenever their teammates take a shot? Did they travel as if it was the goal of each possession? I watched those teams live and in person as a student. The answer is no in all cases. Those teams would crush this team.

Reaction Score
Really? Did they play lazily on both ends of the court? Did they never box out? Did they forget that passing is permitted? Did they stand like statues whenever their teammates take a shot? Did they travel as if it was the goal of each possession? I watched those teams live and in person as a student. The answer is no in all cases. Those teams would crush this team.
Yup that’s my point. KO seems incpable of instilling that. But it is a personell problem too.

Reaction Score
Im sorry but you cant compare Calhoun’s first 3-4 years at UConn to Ollie’s. It was a different era and a different job back then. I understand when people point out that KO is still learning and doesnt have the head coaching experience of a Tom Izzo or Coach K, but after winning a National Championship, he should be able to get better talent in here than he has been...and thats only one of the problems.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yup that’s my point. KO seems incpable of instilling that. But it is a personell problem too.

Sure. Players matter. But nobody can convince me that this roster is 30 points worse than Auburn, or the same as Colombia.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Stop comparing everything to Calhoun. Those days are long gone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom