Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Per Dez, welcome aboard

http://courantblogs.com/uconn-football/

center Kyle Bockeloh (Houston, Texas, 6-2, 286),
quarterback Casey Cochran (Monroe, Conn., 6-0, 216),
offensive guard Drew Ghio (Bristol, Conn., 6-1, 297),
quarterback Chandler Whitmer (Newnan, Ga., 6-1, 188)
tailback Joseph Williams (Allentown, Pa., 5-11, 197).

Reaction Score
Per Dez, welcome aboard

http://courantblogs.com/uconn-football/

center Kyle Bockeloh (Houston, Texas, 6-2, 286),
quarterback Casey Cochran (Monroe, Conn., 6-0, 216),
offensive guard Drew Ghio (Bristol, Conn., 6-1, 297),
quarterback Chandler Whitmer (Newnan, Ga., 6-1, 188)
tailback Joseph Williams (Allentown, Pa., 5-11, 197).

Did we know that we picked up Bockeloh (Air Force transfer)? I knew he visited for Louisville, don't remember hearing anything after that...

U

UConn9604

I found this bit to be very interesting, regarding Ghio:

I’m hearing one of them, walk-on offensive guard Drew Ghio from Bristol, is considered as a huge a get for the program as the other recruits.

Did we know that we picked up Bockeloh (Air Force transfer)? I knew he visited for Louisville, don't remember hearing anything after that...

Reaction Score
What happened to Silva? He was supposed to enter in Jan. Is Bockeloh on scolie?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
In the newer post, Dez also mentions DJ Shoemate will receive his medial redshirt.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
In the newer post, Dez also mentions DJ Shoemate will receive his medial redshirt.
Really hoping DJ can make an impact in pass blocking, special teams and maybe short yardage situations if he can hold on to the ball. Would really be nice to not have to send McCombs up the middle on 3rd and 1.

I also felt like we passed a lot on 3rd and short last year but maybe it is just because I was so used to Edsall's offense that it seemed like a lot. If it was the case that we passed a pretty good amount on short yardage situations, it could have been the result of not having a big back to pound the rock up the middle with.

Reaction Score
1. Per Dez's article, Bockeloh is not a transfer but a greyshirting frosh. (Meaning he graduated high school last spring but hadn't started college until showing up at Storrs this week).

2. In all the hype about Shoemate (he's a 4-star, or he stinks) one needs to focus on the little reality that we know. When we opened in the Big House 16 months ago, DJ got more snaps than Robbie Frey did supplementing/backing up Jordan Todman. And had Meme Wylie pinned to the bench. DJ was viewed as a good option for short yardage carries, catching passes out of the backfield and pass blocking. Even after being "benched" for his two fumbles (and it wasn't thirty -- it was two), he ended up being our third down back at the end of '10. While I wouldn't be surprised to see DJ in a one back set some next year, especially on third downs, I don't think you're seeing him as a lead blocker FB. I think you're going to see him at TB, and I still believe he will have the opportunity to be effective. If he is only short yardage and passing situations, he can help. But I expect someone next year to actually spell McCombs, and while that job is wide, wide open if I had to bet on any one candidate I would bet on DJ.

Reaction Score
DJ has a problem holding onto the ball. His fumbles per carry have got to be through the roof (2 in 2010 and 1 in 2011). If he can get over that and be effective that would be great. We'll just have to see.

Reaction Score
Anyone have information on Ghio or Bockeloh?

From Dez's blog:

Bockeloh played at Cypress Creek High School in Houston and graduated in the spring of 2011. He delayed his enrollment to college until this semester. He earned Greater Houston Academic All-State honors and also participated in track and field.

As for Air Force, it appears that he did commit to in August of 2010. However, it seems that he did not enroll there for some reason. I don't think it was an academic issue, his SAT score was 1770. Last year he had a 77 Scout Grade on ESPN. Looks like there may have been interest at that time from Florida and Georgia as well as Cincinnati, Ball State, Buffalo, Florida Atlantic and of course, Air Force. With an additional 1/2 year to develop and mature, he appears to be a solid pick-up for the Huskies!

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/evaluation?id=121313&_slug_=kyle-bockeloh&action=login&appRedirect=http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/evaluation?id=121313&_slug_=kyle-bockeloh

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Kyle-Bockeloh-102694

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=5133329

Though it's from the fall of 2010, here's a good article about him from a Houston source.

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/cypresscreek/article_9c29af1e-34aa-56da-9645-bbddc0a139f3.html

Per Dez again:

Ghio comes to UConn as a walk-on member of the team. He is a graduate of Bristol Eastern High School and spent the fall 2011 semester at the Loomis Chaffee School in Windsor, Conn. A team captain at Bristol Central, he earned team MVP honors and was an all-city and first team all-conference pick. Ghio was an honor roll student at both Bristol Eastern and Loomis. He played for the Connecticut team in the 2010 Governors’ Cup All-Star Game. He also participated in track and basketball.

Looks like we have two nice additions to the recruiting class!

Reaction Score
On Bockeloh, the article that 2infinity found, I love how he says he's looking to get out of the heat. Big athletic OL with some toughness. He said he loves to hit people and could be big in the run game. This recruiting class keeps getting better and better.

Reaction Score
Ghio and Bockeloh certainly add depth to the interion line and along with Samra, Rennick bring a lot of new faces to the G/C position. This doesen't even include Alex Mateas the transfer from Penn St. that is also a G. Doesn't seem like any of these guys have the prototype height to move to OT which is obviously a need for this class. The nice thing about Mateas, Ghia and Bockeloh is they have had that extra year to grow and mature and make it easy to RS Samra and Rennick.

Things seem stable at G/C, but OT is a different story. Rugg who is listed at 6'5" will likely be an OT, but another OT in this class is needed (Brodie, Glowinski or a mystery plan B). I have little hope for Brodie as he has visits with Miami and Rutgers pending and the Shiano used car salesman act will likely win him over. Glowinski I put at 50% chance. Nice that he didn't commit to WVU this weekend. I think he likes UConn, but I read quote where his uncle is pushing him toward WVU because of better players around him and better competition. Glowinski may be a better get than Brodie as he has had the w years of JC ball and could help immediately. Don't know if the shift of DeLeone to OL coach will be a positive or negative.

Cochran, Whitmer and Williams are exciting additions. Would expect Cochran to RS, with Whitmer going straight into the battle for the starting spot with last year's group. My heart and head hope that Whitmer comes in unquestionably wins the starting spot and UConn can finally have a truly capable multi-faceted starting QB.

Reaction Score
Cochran, Whitmer and Williams are exciting additions. Would expect Cochran to RS, with Whitmer going straight into the battle for the starting spot with last year's group. My heart and head hope that Whitmer comes in unquestionably wins the starting spot and UConn can finally have a truly capable multi-faceted starting QB.

Completely agree with you hear. On paper he seems to be the front runner, based on experience, background and results. Should fit in nicely in the system. Adds some mobility to the position as well that McEntee lacked. He couldn't scramble or get away from pressure very well.

Williams adds a lot to the back field as well home run speed, hits the hole and gets to top speed quickly. He has pretty good size as well, for a track champion with good wheels. Exciting dynamic to add to the backfield with McCombs.

Ghio and Bockeloh sound like great under the radar additions as well.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
great news cept for sylva having to saty in hs this spring. we knew about the walkon thanks to some 1 on here with a great heads up and the texas kid was talked about but never made official. good to hear. this staff is fast pace moving forward 100% of the time. 30 new faces this fall!!! and i'm excited about every dam 1 of them.

Reaction Score
I posted a couple of weeks ago that there were rumors in Bristol that Drew Ghio was going to be a preferred walk-on. From Dez's comments they seem to be extremely happy to get him. As I stated before, I am not a football recruiting expert, but he does have good size, pretty athletic (played hoops at Bristol Central ), works hard and is a real good kid from a good family. I hope he turns out to be a player for us.

Reaction Score
I hope Ghio gets a scholly if he becomes a starter! Uconn is a tough place for walk ons these days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom