Each Program's Best Team in School History | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Each Program's Best Team in School History

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This does always tickle me a little. Shouldn't '01 ND be considered the greatest team of all time if they beat that UConn team twice, convincingly both times (and they also lost to Tennessee)? :D

That team always seemed like my junior year of high school: lots of problems with chemistry.

I'm with you - there is no way I'd say 00-01 team was best ever in UCONN History. Best teams ever don't get beat 3 times- though 1 or 2 times injury related.

Reaction Score
Doesn't everyone think Geno will not properly rate the 2014 team, until after the last 2 members of that team are gone? There is no way Geno would say they were the best even if he believes it , until Moriah, and Stewie have graduated.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
The 2002 and 2014 teams were pretty much a wash in terms of MOV. In terms of the lowest single-game MOV, 2014 has the edge (11-point win over Baylor versus a nine-point win over VT). 40-0 vs. 39-0. Can't help that because of scheduling, but it certainly happened. The WNBA draft pick issue isn't really fair because 2014 only had two graduating seniors compared to four in 2002. However, 2014 will have had two first-round picks for each graduating class (Bria & Stef in '14, KML and Kiah in '15, Stewie and Mo in '16). In short, the 2014 rotation of six will all be drafted in the first round.
Dang, Alex, you scooped me on the six first-rounders, two by two.

But here's one I like still more: Barring serious or nagging injury, it is highly likely that Moriah will repeat as All-American. If that happens, each starter on that 2013-14 team will have been a TWO-time All-American. That is mind-boggling. Surely it is unprecedented.

Can anyone confirm?

Reaction Score
BroadwayVa- - - "Chalk that loss up to nerves and good coaching--not Tirade by Geno."
In a Geno Show with Sue Bird he talks about his 1/2 time tirade vs ND in '01 and I got the impression HE thinks he cost UCONN the Championship!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Dang, Alex, you scooped me on the six first-rounders, two by two.

But here's one I like still more: Barring serious or nagging injury, it is highly likely that Moriah will repeat as All-American. If that happens, each starter on that 2013-14 team will have been a TWO-time All-American. That is mind-boggling. Surely it is unprecedented.

Can anyone confirm?
Yea looks like that's gonna be the case.

Dolson in '13 and '14
Hartley in '12 and '14
KML in '13 and '15
Stewart in '14, '15 and ?'16?
Jefferson in '15 and ?'16?

That's a pretty good team.

Reaction Score
I am saying that if one thinks the '01 UConn team is the best ever then how did they lose twice to ND and once to Tennessee?
Thank you--it's clear to me now. Your analysis of this is accurate, yet, emotionally I and others here-on are so attached that we cannot view them as any other than the best ever--along with our current best ever.

Reaction Score
BroadwayVa- - - "Chalk that loss up to nerves and good coaching--not Tirade by Geno."
In a Geno Show with Sue Bird he talks about his 1/2 time tirade vs ND in '01 and I got the impression HE thinks he cost UCONN the Championship!

Did Geno actually use the word TIRADE ?? Also, Geno has gone off on a lot of teams, including the team of which you speak without causing them to lose. Remember the old kiddy phrase---Sticks and stones can break their bones, but words shall never hurt them!! People tend to put a lot of credence to words Geno or Chris speak in a public forum". Neither is beyond choosing words that makes a person or the entire team look good regardless of the situation. Geno has never, in my memory, allowed his teams to take the flak for losing. Can you argue that DT felt the pressure of producing and as a freshman clanked 15 3's? Or can you argue that Riley, who sat for more than half of the first half, was rested and passed well--also, her patented pull the rebound down to your hips--wasn't used in the second half. Since neither you nor I can verify or discredit my opinion--I stand by it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Did Geno actually use the word TIRADE ?? Also, Geno has gone off on a lot of teams, including the team of which you speak without causing them to lose. Remember the old kiddy phrase---Sticks and stones can break their bones, but words shall never hurt them!! People tend to put a lot of credence to words Geno or Chris speak in a public forum". Neither is beyond choosing words that makes a person or the entire team look good regardless of the situation. Geno has never, in my memory, allowed his teams to take the flak for losing. Can you argue that DT felt the pressure of producing and as a freshman clanked 15 3's? Or can you argue that Riley, who sat for more than half of the first half, was rested and passed well--also, her patented pull the rebound down to your hips--wasn't used in the second half. Since neither you nor I can verify or discredit my opinion--I stand by it.
But I think this one was different. I believe Bird even agreed that they team was kind of shell shocked coming out for the 2nd half. There's no way to really know, but he thinks it was a cause.

Reaction Score
But I think this one was different. I believe Bird even agreed that they team was kind of shell shocked coming out for the 2nd half. There's no way to really know, but he thinks it was a cause.

As you know, I don't defend Geno for much of what he does and I can't be sure if he did or didn't damage their egos to point where DT missed 15 3's and allowed Riley to dish off for easy scores--and for ND to over come a 15 point down to a 15 point above.
There is a lot of how Geno handles his kids I disagree with yet I know Geno's hates losing ---hard pill for me to swallow. Thanks.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Yea looks like that's gonna be the case.

Dolson in '13 and '14
Hartley in '12 and '14
KML in '13 and '15
Stewart in '14, '15 and ?'16?
Jefferson in '15 and ?'16?

That's a pretty good team.
I mean can anyone confirm that it's unprecedented? The TASS group didn't do it. About the only other candidate would be the TN 3-Meeks team.

Reaction Score

On that GENO SHOW with Sue Bird he asked her if she's finally forgiven him for going nuts at 1/2 time of the FF semi final game vs ND and she said there was nothing to forgive you did what you did but the players should have reacted better! He went on to say they were winning by 18 when Retay hit a 3 at the 1/2 time buzzer putting them up by 15. He was the last one in the locker room and preceded to throw a chair and knock over the chalk board screaming at the girls! Some of them wound up crying and the whole place was a shambles! Nothing was discussed and they went back out to the court in shock, leading to a turn-around and ND winning! Yes DT choked in a big situation but the situation didn't call for a tirade on the 3 so everyone was surprised and shocked, not the way to start a 2nd 1/2 with a 15 point lead! He over reacted they still lead by 15 points and were in great shape at that point! And that's without Shea and Svet!
I understand your opinion, but Geno talking to Sue Bird was truly upset that he cost his team not only that game but the Championship, especially since the winner of this game had to face Purdue for the Championship and UCONN would have beaten the Boilermakers also!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
On that GENO SHOW with Sue Bird he asked her if she's finally forgiven him for going nuts at 1/2 time of the FF semi final game vs ND and she said there was nothing to forgive you did what you did but the players should have reacted better! He went on to say they were winning by 18 when Retay hit a 3 at the 1/2 time buzzer putting them up by 15. He was the last one in the locker room and preceded to throw a chair and knock over the chalk board screaming at the girls! Some of them wound up crying and the whole place was a shambles! Nothing was discussed and they went back out to the court in shock, leading to a turn-around and ND winning! Yes DT choked in a big situation but the situation didn't call for a tirade on the 3 so everyone was surprised and shocked, not the way to start a 2nd 1/2 with a 15 point lead! He over reacted they still lead by 15 points and were in great shape at that point! And that's without Shea and Svet!
I understand your opinion, but Geno talking to Sue Bird was truly upset that he cost his team not only that game but the Championship, especially since the winner of this game had to face Purdue for the Championship and UCONN would have beaten the Boilermakers also!

UCONN looked amazing in the first half and just fell apart defensively in the 2nd. They also stopped running an efficient offense and Bird/DT were jacking up shots every possession and they weren't falling. Ivey played a sensational game for Notre Dame, Riley came alive in the 2nd, and Ratay was knocking down threes.

The title game matchup would have been a good one with Purdue. Purdue was VERY very good that year. Douglas was sensational as the senior leader, Camille Cooper was a great post player, Kelly Komara was a seasoned point guard and Notre Dame had 2 outstanding freshmen in Shereka Wright and Shalicia Hurns. Hurns was an absolute beast inside, and Wright was so quick and could score on you in a hurry. They were also without their starting point guard Erika Valek who was very good, she tore her ACL in the regional. Purdue was an underrated 3 seed, they led Notre Dame the entire way until the last few minutes when Riley and Co. took over. Realistically, I think UCONN would have won, but that Purdue team had a lot of fight and as a team they could compete with anyone.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I mean can anyone confirm that it's unprecedented? The TASS group didn't do it. About the only other candidate would be the TN 3-Meeks team.

The '95 team had four eventual two-time All-Americans with Lobo, Wolters, Rizzotti, and Sales (Sales came off the bench but played starters minutes). Jamelle Elliot was the non-All-American.

That's the closest I've found but I only went back to '95.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
The '95 team had four eventual two-time All-Americans with Lobo, Wolters, Rizzotti, and Sales (Sales came off the bench but played starters minutes). Jamelle Elliot was the non-All-American.

That's the closest I've found but I only went back to '95.
And of course, as everyone knows, that team had three NPOYs. That record's going to be hard to match. :cool:

Reaction Score
Thank you---I am not one who drinks from Geno's cup, but I do respect how he has successfully managed his teams at half time. Since this game in question--I always believed DT's Freshman nerves , Rileys resting in the first half, and her passing in the second half, with Muffets adjustment won the game. But I bow to exceptional knowledge and Sue Bird's comments (she could sell me her bridge)--obviously I was --hate to admit it--I apparently (self serving) was wrong. when both you and Meyers7 tell me an elephant is an elephant I have to admit it wasn't a rabbit.

Reaction Score
Miss that Sue Bird show---See my post below---you and Meyers7 made me a believer--I hate to admit it!!!

Reaction Score
bballnut90- - - - The title game matchup would have been a good one with Purdue. Purdue was VERY very good that year. Douglas was sensational as the senior leader, Camille Cooper was a great post player, Kelly Komara was a seasoned point guard and Notre Dame had 2 outstanding freshmen in Shereka Wright and Shalicia Hurns. Hurns was an absolute beast inside, and Wright was so quick and could score on you in a hurry. They were also without their starting point guard Erika Valek who was very good, she tore her ACL in the regional. Purdue was an underrated 3 seed, they led Notre Dame the entire way until the last few minutes when Riley and Co. took over. Realistically, I think UCONN would have won, but that Purdue team had a lot of fight and as a team they could compete with anyone.

bballnut90- - - -Yes you're right about Purdue but I think Geno and The Muffett believed the winner of the UCONN/ND semi would beat either Purdue or SMS from the other semi! They were the powers the whole year and ND had beaten UCONN during the season, so his girls would have been sky high after "beating ND!" (UCONN of course beat ND in BE Finals on Bird's basket at the buzzer!) And without his 1/2 time tirade they were winning by 15 points, they most likely would have coasted to a 15 to 20 point victory over such a tough rival would have been the push needed! If they weren't shell shocked, DT wouldn't have had to go crazy shooting those 3's she never made!
Shoulda, coulda, woulda, never happened but to Geno and Sue Bird at least, this was the one that got away! And IF they did win in 2001 that would have given UCONN 5 straight, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, & 2004! DT would have had the 4 Stewie & MoJeff seek in 2016!
AAAAAHHHHHH! Isn't it wonderful to dream?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
bballnut90- - - - The title game matchup would have been a good one with Purdue. Purdue was VERY very good that year. Douglas was sensational as the senior leader, Camille Cooper was a great post player, Kelly Komara was a seasoned point guard and Notre Dame had 2 outstanding freshmen in Shereka Wright and Shalicia Hurns. Hurns was an absolute beast inside, and Wright was so quick and could score on you in a hurry. They were also without their starting point guard Erika Valek who was very good, she tore her ACL in the regional. Purdue was an underrated 3 seed, they led Notre Dame the entire way until the last few minutes when Riley and Co. took over. Realistically, I think UCONN would have won, but that Purdue team had a lot of fight and as a team they could compete with anyone.

bballnut90- - - -Yes you're right about Purdue but I think Geno and The Muffett believed the winner of the UCONN/ND semi would beat either Purdue or SMS from the other semi! They were the powers the whole year and ND had beaten UCONN during the season, so his girls would have been sky high after "beating ND!" (UCONN of course beat ND in BE Finals on Bird's basket at the buzzer!) And without his 1/2 time tirade they were winning by 15 points, they most likely would have coasted to a 15 to 20 point victory over such a tough rival would have been the push needed! If they weren't shell shocked, DT wouldn't have had to go crazy shooting those 3's she never made!
Shoulda, coulda, woulda, never happened but to Geno and Sue Bird at least, this was the one that got away! And IF they did win in 2001 that would have given UCONN 5 straight, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, & 2004! DT would have had the 4 Stewie & MoJeff seek in 2016!
AAAAAHHHHHH! Isn't it wonderful to dream?
I like to think of it as the exception that proved the rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom