Dysfunction, Texas style | The Boneyard

Dysfunction, Texas style

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Texas may be one of the drivers for future CR... but they got a lot of issues not only in the athletic department but going all the way to Gov. Perry (A&M superfan) according to this article from SI (Pete Thamel).

One of the things that jumped out to me related to the Longhorn network:

While Texas' on-field performance has slipped, Brown's off-field demands have also increased. Every Monday, Brown has media obligations from 9:50 a.m. to 3 p.m. He spends time on Tuesday and Wednesday dealing with Longhorn Network shows focused on Texas practices, and he has an hour-long radio show simulcast on Wednesday. On Thursday, he does a 30-minute television show that takes approximately an hour to tape.

Mention these obligations to ADs and agents around the nation and they'll laugh out loud. In fact, many at Texas worry that the media obligations could dissuade a more reclusive (Boise State's Chris Petersen) or single-minded (Saban) coach from accepting the job. Dodds said Brown made alterations to the demands on his time this offseason, but acknowledged the complexities that come with being the Longhorns coach.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Wow, it's amazing that the head coach there can get any coaching done.

Reaction Score
More Tramel:

"The university president has spent the past two years locked in an ugly battle with governor Rick Perry. Will it be the Board of Regents? Four recent Perry appointees have attempted to oust Powers, giving him little leeway with the nine-person board. Will it be the new AD? While insisting to SI.com that he doesn't get involved with Texas politics, Brown offered a reminder that former regent Tom Hicks hired him in 1997. (Dodds was hot on Gary Barnett.)
"There's four regents out of nine who would fire Bill Powers tomorrow," the high-ranking Texas official said. "There's a lot of distrust in all of this."
The political tensions spilled over into the sports pages in Austin on Sept. 19 when The Associated Press broke a story that said that Hicks and regent Wallace Hall had spoken by phone in January with Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban's agent. What looked worse? The regent going rogue to engage with Saban's agent? Or the timing of the leak, which came at the lowest point of Brown's 16-year tenure in Austin?
During a lengthly interview with SI.com before he announced his retirement on Oct. 1, Dodds offered some insight into the mindset that perhaps landed the Longhorns in this position in the first place.
"We're Texas," Dodds said. "We're always going to be fine."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20131008/texas-longhorns-athletics/#ixzz2hAfqIORo

Reaction Score
Remember, this is the state that fired a President (Texas A&M's previous) for refusing to take a chunk of athletic losses ($18 million) out of academics. Sports rules. The ADs are more powerful than the Presidents. Rick Perry's ideas about Higher Education are laughably pathetic (faculty pay is tied to student evaluations, etc.) In a state that spends so little money per pupil on public education at the state level, while rich towns build enormous football stadiums, it's no surprise that U. Texas is dropping in reputation among its peers.

There was a time when Texas academics mattered to the rest of the nation because it was such a big influential state. In order to keep the Texas market, textbook publishers would kowtow to the Texas State Board of Ed. by inserting all sorts of craziness into textbooks distributed all over the nation. But now with electronic publishing and on-demand printing, and the internet, the Texas crazies have been isolated, and Texas has been revealed as the backwater it really is.

A few years ago, I posted an article by a Texas Economics professor named David Hillis that showed how Texas sports was in the red. This was back when Texas was "only" earning $115m in revenue. In two short years, they have somehow jumped to $163m. I seriously doubt they are in the red anymore, though I haven't seen any breakdowns. That's an astronomical revenue number, and it rivals the day-to-day operational budget of the entire university in Austin (i.e. most university expenditures are locked down--endowment, research funds, health care, etc.; only a small portion of the budget is fungible). Now you know why sports are tipping over the academic side there.

Reaction Score
There was a time when Texas academics mattered to the rest of the nation because it was such a big influential state. In order to keep the Texas market, textbook publishers would kowtow to the Texas State Board of Ed. by inserting all sorts of craziness into textbooks distributed all over the nation. But now with electronic publishing and on-demand printing, and the internet, the Texas crazies have been isolated, and Texas has been revealed as the backwater it really is.

Trust me, Texas still has a lot of influence on school text books nationally and it’s on on-going war. The comments on the below article are even more scarier.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/poli...debate-over-science-textbooks-and-e-books.ece

And it is not the only state, check on Kansas.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/27/kansas-evolution-lawsuit_n_4005717.html

Reaction Score
Trust me, Texas still has a lot of influence on school text books nationally and it’s on on-going war. The comments on the below article are even more scarier.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/poli...debate-over-science-textbooks-and-e-books.ece

And it is not the only state, check on Kansas.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/27/kansas-evolution-lawsuit_n_4005717.html

Yikes, I thought the process was being freed up by technology.

Since I've just gone through the latest technology updates with a publisher, I can't understand what the problem is. Publishing now costs 1/10th of what it used to. The money a publisher spent on printing my prior book was in the 5 digits. They now have it down to a fraction of that, mid 4 digits. Books cost $1 each to publish. Should be incredibly easy to go to press with different books given digital printing. The cost is only design now (which is piddling, designers don't charge all that much).

Reaction Score
A few years ago, I was flown into DFW (my partner & I as consultants) and taken to a small town where the headquarters of an influential Texas conservative organization was located. The organization specialized in lobbying for certain educational "enhancements" to curricula.

We listened to what they desired and decided that our firm was not going to be able to work with them. Although we had worked on Republican issues in Florida like charter schools, and Florida School Choice (non public schools), we had not strayed into the areas that the Texas group sought and did not intend to.

Reaction Score
I am still waiting for Texas to update the Bible to the following: “on the 6th day, God created football and then created Man to play football…” Everything beyond that statement in Texas seems to be irrelevant.

Reaction Score
I am still waiting for Texas to update the Bible to the following: “on the 6th day, God created football and then created Man to play football…” Everything beyond that statement in Texas seems to be irrelevant.
Yup, there are no abortions in football... unless you count the games themselves.

Reaction Score

Those of us who were raised in the deep south suspect that football predates the bible.....

While indians in the NE were beating each other up with deerhide lashed sticks in Lacross...down south, villages played the sacred football game yearly on the ballground and the losers were subservient to the winners (as an alternative to outright war and in direct correlation with current rivalry behaviour). In real wars, unlucky captives heads were kicked between one village goal pole and the next village's pole.

Way down south in Mesoamerica, the ball game losers got executed....a tough crowd, indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom