OT: - DVRs | The Boneyard

OT: DVRs

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Is TiVo still king, or have the Charter DVRs gotten better?

I loved my TiVo, but it got to the point it would t work with Charter. The said I needed a cable box, digital box, and a card installed in the TiVo. Even with this, it didn't work well.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm surprised Tivo isn't bankrupt and out of business. Cable companies mostly offering cloud based DVR now.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
YouTube TV unlimited DVR...and actually records sports through the end of the game as opposed to having to set record to an additional hour to cover for OT.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
YouTube TV unlimited DVR...and actually records sports through the end of the game as opposed to having to set record to an additional hour to cover for OT.

Does this require a DVR device, or is it web based?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Usually both but the box is part of your package. and the recordings are stored in cloud. Accesible from mobile devices. At least thats how X1 works

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

No, I stream it through my Roku but smart TVs have the Youtube TV app as well.

As A-Dub said, the recordings are stored in the cloud, so I can watch them on my phone, laptop, or on my tv (through my roku).

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Betamax is still king.

next tom thread,

do my 8 tracks work with charter of do I still need one of these?

maxresdefault.jpg

temery

What?
Reaction Score
next tom thread,

do my 8 tracks work with charter of do I still need one of these?

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm looking for a DVR that doesn't require the internet or cable for playback. July 4 to July 18 I had no cable or internet, and had to use my cell for internet and streaming, which cost me a bundle.

My old TiVo was great when cable and the internet was out - I could watch anything stored on the TiVo as long as I had electricity.

Consider me a prepper - I don't want to put all my internet and cable needs into one basket. I want worst case scenario options, not shiny new features that don't work if my cable/internet is down.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I was a TiVo loyalist until about 2 years ago. Streaming TV services are so much better and (for now at least) cheaper than cable company service + a DVR.

The only downside is the potential for missed channels (particularly with sports). Each service seems to have a missing ”critical” channel or two.

I’ve found YouTube TV and Hulu with Live TV to be the best of the bunch but Sling, DirecTV Now all work similarly. I have Hulu with Live TV and didn’t miss a single UConn game - plus like @ConnHuskBask mentioned - you don’t have to add an hour to the end of the recording, it does all that for you.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I'm looking for a DVR that doesn't require the internet or cable for playback. July 4 to July 18 I had no cable or internet, and had to use my cell for internet and streaming, which cost me a bundle.

Then TiVo is probably your choice. If you get a new(er) TiVo box, you don’t need a cable box in conjunction with it - you just need a cable card from the company to plug into the back. Then you can save all your M*A*S*H shows to a spinny hard drive and watch them when your 56k goes out.

Jokes aside - why did you lose cable and internet for 14 days?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Then TiVo is probably your choice. If you get a new(er) TiVo box, you don’t need a cable box in conjunction with it - you just need a cable card from the company to plug into the back. Then you can save all your M*A*S*H shows to a spinny hard drive and watch them when your 56k goes out.

Jokes aside - why did you lose cable and internet for 14 days?

Remote area, dead end street with only two neighbors, and an incredibly crappy cable/internet provider. They were a no show three times in ten days.

Last edited:

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I use a streaming service. PlayStation Vue. The channel lineup is solid (and there are some package options). There is a DVR feature. Things stay in for about 2 weeks or so. You can just set favorite shows etc. It works well for what I need.

Reaction Score
Interesting thing with TiVo, for a few years, cable companies, or at least Xfinity provided the ability to set recordings from the app remotely. I loved this feature, especially if I’d forgotten to record a UConn game or a baseball game. TiVo successfully sued to prevent this, probably trying to find some competitive advantage for people to retain their outdated service. Too bad, I loved that feature.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

My old TiVo was great when cable and the internet was out - I could watch anything stored on the TiVo as long as I had electricity.

Consider me a prepper - I don't want to put all my internet and cable needs into one basket. I want worst case scenario options, not shiny new features that don't work if my cable/internet is down.

This is the reason I have blu-ray players and over 100 DVD and Blu-ray Discs. That’s my internet outage backup plan. TiVo is probably your answer if you want disc based DVR.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Interesting thing with TiVo, for a few years, cable companies, or at least Xfinity provided the ability to set recordings from the app remotely. I loved this feature, especially if I’d forgotten to record a UConn game or a baseball game. TiVo successfully sued to prevent this, probably trying to find some competitive advantage for people to retain their outdated service. Too bad, I loved that feature.
you can steam PS Vue on your phone and DVR programs remotely.

Reaction Score
Why did I think I saw "VCR's" when I first read the OP's post? I was like who uses those anymore. LOL!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom