Durr ACC POY, Walz COY | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Durr ACC POY, Walz COY

Reaction Score
The best players get the best defensive players put on them. I mean Durr still scored 20 points. It's Geno's way of complementing Durr by putting Kia on her.
Assume you mean "compliment", in which case I agree. Re. "Durr still scored 20 points" . . . If I recall most of those 2o points were scored well into the 4th quarter, after the heat was off, a number of bench players were in the game, and the matter was firmly in hand.

Reaction Score
Assume you mean "compliment", in which case I agree. Re. "Durr still scored 20 points" . . . If I recall most of those 2o points were scored well into the 4th quarter, after the heat was off, a number of bench players were in the game, and the matter was firmly in hand.

Yes...spelling isn't my strongest skill today.

Reaction Score
"I thought Louisville looked like the best team in the country today," McGraw said. "Asia Durr may be the best player in the country. We've played South Carolina and Connecticut and she is definitely a phenomenal, phenomenal guard."

COY
POY
She was probably right. Against her team on that one night LV and AD were the best team and player respectively. The rest of the year, and including when we played both LV and ND, UConn and KLS were the best team and player respectively : - )

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
"I thought Louisville looked like the best team in the country today," McGraw said. "Asia Durr may be the best player in the country. We've played South Carolina and Connecticut and she is definitely a phenomenal, phenomenal guard."

COY
POY
In case you were worried Muffet had gone soft on advocating for her players:

Reaction Score
So I will say from my point of view with Arike is her efficiency. It generally takes her a lot of shots to get her point totals which can factor into awards like this.

HGN

Reaction Score

Orangutan , I NEVER thought MM was going soft. Maybe holding back ; playing coy ; but will always advocate for her players. And I think she could have
won COY..........If not for that one(1) game which other bloggers have mentioned. (Very embarrassing). But she and the team bounced back to have a great season.
But UL deserved some love. And they got it this year in player and coach.

Now you know how we BY'ers feel when Geno runs the table , and our star player gets over-looked for due Awards.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
My late mom and junior high coach are talking to me.....

"Congrats to Coach Walz and Asia Durr on a job well done."

Now the Fightin' Irish is talking to me:
Hope -- no, can't wait -- to see you Sunday.

Respectfully,
Dillon77

p.s. I'm sure MM, Arike, Mabrey and the team are thinking the same way.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
From the west coast, Durr and Brown are excellent players. I think Brown's game is more complete, given her awesome defense. I am also impressed at how Brown's offense has improved this year. Both studs, but from way over here on the west coast, I would have given the ACC POY award to Brown.

Lemme give you some dap on that

dap.gif

Reaction Score
Ahem. Won *a share* of the conference title :cool:.

Everyone wants to gloss over the fact that Louisville lost at home to Florida State. ND beat FSU by 31 in Tallahassee.
I would think they’d still give more weight to head-to-head rather than to the result against a common opponent. Having said that, I’d still have given the award to Muffet.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Goes to look up Lexie Brown's stats vs #24 for ND :rolleyes:

Respectfully,
Dillon77

I got a feeling in my stomach.... that the much anticipated rematch between the top seeds wont happen on Sunday. Perhaps its just hunger pangs..... but Ive seen some strange things happen in Greensboro over the years.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I appreciate fandom as much as the next fan of the team I am rooting for but your post is WRONG. First off, spelling issues are excusable, but repainting history through your rose colored glasses is not. 7 people played for UConn in this game and Meg go exactly 2 minutes in the game. Durr scored points from the 20 minute mark until 35 minutes marks with Kia still in the game. She scored a layup with 14 seconds left for 14points in the second half. Stop being so dismissive of other very good players, it is unbecoming.

So your “recall” needs to be checked out...

Reaction Score
Stop being so dismissive of other very good players, it is unbecoming.
My goodness! No need to be nasty.

Consider my recall checked. In the first 24 minutes of the 02/12 game against UConn, Durr made one FG.

One.

She then made 3 more FG until about 8:15 left in the game. 3 more FGs thereafter. Throughout that stretch, Louisville was down roughly by an average of 18 points. So . . . you are correct. Durr did not score most of her 20 points well into the 4th quarter and after the bench players were in. Rather, she scored 7 points on 1-6 shooting in the first half, and 13 points on 6-13 shooting in the second half, with 7 of those points coming with around 8:15 left in the game, at which point it is fair to say that the heat was off and the game well in UConn's hands.

I must disagree with the suggestion that Durr is properly characterized as a "very good player". She is, to the contrary, a phenomenal player.

Except when guarded by Kia Nurse.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
My goodness! No need to be nasty.

Consider my recall checked. In the first 24 minutes of the 02/12 game against UConn, Durr made one FG.

One.

She then made 3 more FG until about 8:15 left in the game. 3 more FGs thereafter. Throughout that stretch, Louisville was down roughly by an average of 18 points. So . . . you are correct. Durr did not score most of her 20 points well into the 4th quarter and after the bench players were in. Rather, she scored 7 points on 1-6 shooting in the first half, and 13 points on 6-13 shooting in the second half, with 7 of those points coming with around 8:15 left in the game, at which point it is fair to say that the heat was off and the game well in UConn's hands.

I must disagree with the suggestion that Durr is properly characterized as a "very good player". She is, to the contrary, a phenomenal player.

Except when guarded by Kia Nurse.
Just be accountable for your incorrect comments when you make snarky comments towards other posters. Also, YOU WERE dismissing Durr’s scoring and skills by qualifying what you wrote. And now you want to parse my thread of “very good player” and chastised me? Reread your original post on “most were scored well into the 4th quarter...and a number of bench players were in the game”. Stevens was the only” bench” player in the game in the Second half. Now try it with me:
“I was incorrect on my post”.

See, it will make you a humble and respected posted.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score

Respectfully,
Dillon77

Hey, I have a question-the Press dubbed Mabry 2nd team and Shepard 1st team, I thought it should the way the coaches voted it, Mabry 1st, Shepard 2nd. Your thoughts?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Hey, I have a question-the Press dubbed Mabry 2nd team and Shepard 1st team, I thought it should the way the coaches voted it, Mabry 1st, Shepard 2nd. Your thoughts?

I agree with the coaches.

Me, too.

Marina raised her game in the ACC portion of the schedule: She averaged 14.5 points, 4.8 assists and 2.6 steals in league play and was ranked in the league's top-15 in the 2nd most statistical categories. In short, she was doing a lot of everything for the Irish, which the coaches picked up on.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Any word on how Brianna’s rehab is coming along?

During one of McGraw's relatively recent radio programs, she went over rehabs of all the Irish injured. One of the McGraw's Benchers summarized it (kudos, McLean) and I've used his summary as the basis to answer this.

- Overall Muffet McGraw complimented all four of the injured players for their work.
- Bri (Brianna) Turner may get out of the brace soon and perhaps begin to practice. That's nearly a year since the injury, which may give an indication of the severeness of her particular ACL injury.
- Mychal Johnson (senior back-up guard) is apparently “killing the rehab” and is doing really well. Johnson will graduate this May and is undetermined as to whether to (apply to) come back for a fifth year.
- Grad transfer Lili Thompson recently had surgery, which was successful, and she is starting rehab. Thompson will not be playing in college any more because she has played too many games at the time of her injury. :( However, she is very much a team player and is there every game actively encouraging and cheering on her teammates. If you watch any ND games in the tournaments, she's the player on crutches now, generally seated at the end of the bench.
- And frosh post Mikayla Vaughn brings a lot of energy to the bench – she was there at the radio broadcast and said she will be coming back stronger next year, taking a lot of classes this semester and taking classes in the summer. Vaughn, if you watch ND broadcasts, wears the same hair style as Turner, but has glasses and, if anything, looks a bit taller than Bri. She'll have four years of eligibility. Everyone in South Bend is upbeat about her in all respects.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom