Duke's Williams lingering foot injury | The Boneyard

Duke's Williams lingering foot injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
McCallie, however, did not sound optimistic about the benefits of more rest. “She gets oodles of rest. She hasn’t been through a full practice in over seven months,” McCallie said. “The key is I’ve got to be honest to Elizabeth. I can’t let her play at 40 percent…. She’s just got to simply see what she can do.”

LINK

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
WOW that sucks for them. It sounds like a nagging injury and question marks as to whether she'll even play this year - 7 months of staying off the foot, and suddenly the pain is back just as bad as before is not a good sign. I hope she gets a full recovery as Duke won't do nearly as well without her...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This sounds pretty serious and is a real bummer for her and the team.
With Duke having such a great medical school you would expect their athletes to be getting the absolute best care and diagnostics, but you have to wonder. I know every person responds differently and every case is unique, but this is not a normal stress fracture reaction/healing process. Completely different case but it reminds me a little of the issues with Brittany Hunter and I always wondered if something that happened in her year a Duke in terms of medical care could have been done differently and led to a better result.
I hope things turn out much better for Williams.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
This sounds pretty serious and is a real bummer for her and the team.
With Duke having such a great medical school you would expect their athletes to be getting the absolute best care and diagnostics, but you have to wonder. I know every person responds differently and every case is unique, but this is not a normal stress fracture reaction/healing process. Completely different case but it reminds me a little of the issues with Brittany Hunter and I always wondered if something that happened in her year a Duke in terms of medical care could have been done differently and led to a better result.
I hope things turn out much better for Williams.

Brittany's medical issues were the result of Brittany not following through with proper rehab and engaging in high risk activities. She continued this pattern, unfortunately, at UConn.

Duke's medical treatment is legendary, which is why top athletes choose to head to Duke for their treatment...and why some athletes head there after other purported top medical providers (e.g., NBA) fail them.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
If seven months haven't done the trick, I'm wondering if they will start thinking about the possibility of redshirting. It's not like they have to hit a window of opportunity for the NC this year; they will only be stronger next year and after with all the talent they're bringing in

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
If seven months haven't done the trick, I'm wondering if they will start thinking about the possibility of redshirting. It's not like they have to hit a window of opportunity for the NC this year; they will only be stronger next year and after with all the talent they're bringing in

I had a different thought. If seven months has not done the trick, is this something that chronic and potentially career-ending? That would be extremely unfortunate. But basketball is secondary to life.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Brittany's medical issues were the result of Brittany not following through with proper rehab and engaging in high risk activities. She continued this pattern, unfortunately, at UConn.

Duke's medical treatment is legendary, which is why top athletes choose to head to Duke for their treatment...and why some athletes head there after other purported top medical providers (e.g., NBA) fail them.

I don't understand why there is still Duke bashing on this. It's been clear for a while that Brittany did not do what she was supposed to do.

Feel terrible for Williams.

Reaction Score
Huge blow. She had potential to the kind of player that few teams could stop.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
That's a potentially devestating blow to Duke's chances this year, and not good for the sport at large. EW is an emerging star and has a shot of being one of the faces of WCBB by her junior season...if her body allows this to happen.

If they did redshirt her, is there any surgery that might help? Honest question- I have no idea myself.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I had a different thought. If seven months has not done the trick, is this something that chronic and potentially career-ending? That would be extremely unfortunate. But basketball is secondary to life.

One would certainly hope not. Since it's not in the foot but is instead in the tibia, I am very hopeful that she will eventually make it to the other side of this injury and continue her along her successful college hoops career. It could just be that it's also on the other side of a redshirt year. (Hoping it doesn't come to that.)

Best wishes to EWand the team!

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
Best wishes to Williams as she recovers from her stress fracture. Not a great way to start off her sophomore season.

Maybe her injury is a cautionary tale about how rest is so important, no matter how old you are.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

I was not specifically bashing Duke medical care which I acknowledge is at the very top of what is available, and I obviously don't know anything about either case from a medical or team or player level.
Given the above disclaimers - Brittany as I remember was allowed to play the end of her freshman year even though she had suffered the initial injury. With 20/20 hind sight I wonder if the results would have been different if she had been shut down immediately. I am not saying that she got bad advice or that the coaching staff made any type of mistake, just wondering if it could have been different.
I am concerned to hear that Williams is practicing and then sitting because of pain and then practicing - from a completely lay/outside view point it seems to me that she should be shut down completely and further tests/rests/options be explored. Her recovery is not normal and it does not seem to me that this current course is likely to improve under the current practice/rest regime. On a significantly less serious level, this is similar to what has happened with Bria this fall with her ankle. I am glad in her case she was shut down again to really get it right.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I was not specifically bashing Duke medical care which I acknowledge is at the very top of what is available, and I obviously don't know anything about either case from a medical or team or player level.
Given the above disclaimers - Brittany as I remember was allowed to play the end of her freshman year even though she had suffered the initial injury. With 20/20 hind sight I wonder if the results would have been different if she had been shut down immediately. I am not saying that she got bad advice or that the coaching staff made any type of mistake, just wondering if it could have been different.
I am concerned to hear that Williams is practicing and then sitting because of pain and then practicing - from a completely lay/outside view point it seems to me that she should be shut down completely and further tests/rests/options be explored. Her recovery is not normal and it does not seem to me that this current course is likely to improve under the current practice/rest regime. On a significantly less serious level, this is similar to what has happened with Bria this fall with her ankle. I am glad in her case she was shut down again to really get it right.

Brittany did not play for six weeks while she recovered from the initial injury.

And no, even with 20/20 hindsight, it would not have changed. The issue was one of proper rehabilitation.

As for Williams, if you read the article, she has not done a full practice. If you read the article, she plays and participates in practice when she feels healthy and when is without pain. The only way to know if you are pain-free is if you are not feeling pain and you test things out.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
What could this mean???

Joy Cheek@CoachJoyGoDuke
All news is not good news...

1) The news about Williams in the student paper (The Chronicle)

2) Kendall Cooper

3) Something personal to Joy

4) The election

5) She found out TonyC received a reprimand on The Boneyard for failing to maintain a sunny/positive disposition

6) The Wendy's involved with Caroline Doty/Sue Bird/Diana Taurasi does not deliver

7) She looked at UConn's roster

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
1) The news about Williams in the student paper (The Chronicle)

2) Kendall Cooper

3) Something personal to Joy

4) The election

5) She found out TonyC received a reprimand on The Boneyard for failing to maintain a sunny/positive disposition

6) The Wendy's involved with Caroline Doty/Sue Bird/Diana Taurasi does not deliver

7) She looked at UConn's roster
Cam is in mid-season form!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I had not realized the extent of EW's injury. This sounds even worse than Bria's situation. I hope she heals fast and thoroughly. Duke needs her inside play. EW is a mega-talent with NPOY and Olympic potential. The game will miss her too.

I also had been unaware that Brit contributed to her less-than-full recovery in any way other than that idiotic bouncing ball activity at First Night.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Williams played 11 minutes in the game last night.... think she scored 8 pts... grabbed 4 rebounds. After a short turn around... she played in the game this afternoon. 18 minutes. 16 pts (6-11 shooting) 5 rebounds 6 blocks 2 assists and 2 steals. The most impressive stat 4-4 on FT's :) If she can get her FT percentage up to the 75% range... she will most likely avg 18-20 points a game this year.

Next game is on Friday.. hopefully she is good to go for the season. Gotta get back into game shape though.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Williams played 11 minutes in the game last night.... think she scored 8 pts... grabbed 4 rebounds. After a short turn around... she played in the game this afternoon. 18 minutes. 16 pts (6-11 shooting) 5 rebounds 6 blocks 2 assists and 2 steals. The most impressive stat 4-4 on FT's :) If she can get her FT percentage up to the 75% range... she will most likely avg 18-20 points a game this year.

Next game is on Friday.. hopefully she is good to go for the season. Gotta get back into game shape though.
Glad she's getting healthy. You guys will need her for sure! I think Duke should be #2 tomorrow when the rankings come out.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Glad she's getting healthy. You guys will need her for sure! I think Duke should be #2 tomorrow when the rankings come out.

I was actually surprised to see her play this weekend. Pleasantly surprised though. As long as she is healthy (and no one else gets injured), I dont see us losing til mid January.... maybe around the MLK weekend. In terms of tomorrows rankings..personally I think we will be #4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom